What's new

2020 Free Agency Thread

You should change your name to Handjobten’s Heros, because it may just be the unlikely hero of our season.

The good news is that with three GMs in the FO there are plenty of extra hands on deck.
Wait a minute... I just thought of a way to save a few bucks... 3 GMs seems excessive seeing as we missed the mark capwise... we should hire one more to really focus on finances.

Show me a lazier organization this offseason.

Lazy is not a way I would describe this off season or last. They were very active last season, and as a result of several terrible moves, they've been very active in trying to clear those moves off. There's not a lot to work with here. Nearly all the assets were burned in the Conley deal, and the rest are being burned to reverse the other terrible moves. Given the scarcity of resources and lack of tradable pieces, I'd say the Jazz were plenty active.

Lazy would be the summer of 2018, when they were so proud of themselves that they rolled back the same exact team and didn't even attempt to use the MLE. The only difference in active players from game 82 of 17/18 to game 1 of 18/19 was Grayson Allen instead of Jonas Jerebko. You must have forgotten when the off-season acquisition was continuity.

Every team is 3 years away from a potential rebuild.
False. Dallas isn't. Boston isn't. Denver isn't. There are teams built specifically to compete at a later timeline. Throw Pels, Memphis and Hawks in there too. Maybe you are talking about Lakers or Bucks but these guys will be legit contenders for the next three years and that is what they are building towards. If you can win a chip or two during this time, who cares what happen after that?

But what are we building towards? We are a "contender” that can't get out of the first round. Have a squad that features aging players who don't deserve their salary. Giving away future assets to duck tax instead of bringing more players to help you contend. And so far still no news on the extension of your franchise player.

Forget about 3 years later. Right now what is the Jazz’s plan for the next three seasons?

False. Dallas isn't. Boston isn't. Denver isn't. There are teams built specifically to compete at a later timeline. Throw Pels, Memphis and Hawks in there too. Maybe you are talking about Lakers or Bucks but these guys will be legit contenders for the next three years and that is what they are building towards. If you can win a chip or two during this time, who cares what happen after that?

But what are we building towards? We are a "contender” that can't get out of the first round. Have a squad that features aging players who don't deserve their salary. Giving away future assets to duck tax instead of bringing more players to help you contend. And so far still no news on the extension of your franchise player.

Forget about 3 years later. Right now what is the Jazz’s plan for the next three seasons?
True. Your fantasy world appears to be free of significant injury, death, and trade demands. 3 years is a long time. Ask Len Bias.

The newspaper articles say something different, but maybe you know more?
DL also tells me he is very aggressive at every deadline draft and buyout market... I do not always believe him either.

The newspaper articles say something different, but maybe you know more?
Dude, I get that you want to push back on the negative vibe around here, but if we dump all these assets and don’t get under the tax (but just save the new ownership some dough), then there’s truly a lot to bitch about. We could be seeing the worst signals out of ownership in well over 20 years.

I mean, bad isn't the same thing as lazy. If they were lazy, they wouldn't have made so many moves attempting to atone for their previous failures.
The difference between this offseason and last is, well, OWNERSHIP. This might have nothing to do with perceived successes or failures in the past and everything to do with money, plain and simple.

If your boss tells you to trim the payroll, then you gotta use what’s laying around and start cutting.

The difference between this offseason and last is, well, OWNERSHIP. This might have nothing to do with perceived successes or failures in the past and everything to do with money, plain and simple.

If your boss tells you to trim the payroll, then you gotta use what’s laying around and start cutting.

I think the main difference between this year and last is the realization that the moves we made were trash. If the sole goal was to reduce payroll, they didn't have to resign Clarkson or get Favors back on rich deals. You've got to be kidding me if you don't think the obvious failures of Davis, Bradley, Tucker ect had nothing to do with the moves. Obviously money is a factor, especially when it comes to remaining under the hard cap, but so is the blatantly obvious failed previous moves. If everything was about money and not about previous failures/success, they would have actually done nothing and had a cheaper team.

I think the main difference between this year and last is the realization that the moves we made were trash. If the sole goal was to reduce payroll, they didn't have to resign Clarkson or get Favors back on rich deals. You've got to be kidding me if you don't think the obvious failures of Davis, Bradley, Tucker ect had nothing to do with the moves. Obviously money is a factor, especially when it comes to remaining under the hard cap, but so is the blatantly obvious failed previous moves. If everything was about money and not about previous failures/success, they would have actually done nothing and had a cheaper team.
They didn’t fix the problems. And I guess there was a rounding error on teh back of the envelope because we kneecapped ourselves and we’re paying teh tax anyway.

that is what bothers me. this offseason is an example of an half-hearted attempt. we are trying to contend, only somewhat. trying to duck the tax, only somewhat. and will probably end up failing in both. that is why we didn't want to just trade conley and get out of LT completely because FO somehow still believes that keeping him will give us the best chance at competing for a title. so now we will probably end up paying the tax and embrace yet another season of early round exit.

Last edited:
that is what bothers me. this offseason is an example of an half-hearted attempt. we are trying to contend, only somewhat. trying to duck the tax, only somewhat. and will probably end up failing in both.
The Jazz intended to avoid the tax this year.

At this point I'm fairly convinced someone in the front office ****ed up big time.

The Jazz intended to avoid the tax this year.

At this point I'm fairly convinced someone in the front office ****ed up big time.

Its like they went to the grocery store with $100 bill and now they are at the register trying to dump items. Its actually worse than that. They are trying to dump the items they bought last week in order to make the purchases for today.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

Last edited: