What's new

2020 NBA trade deadline discussion

The only one who Conley could replace in our starting lineup is DM. Can't move anyone else without making us significantly worse.

Joe and Bojan don't rebound enough for us to be tiny... I think the best thing would be for Mike to come off the bench, but second best would be Joe doing it. I know we "don't want to lose Joe" but when we start them together we already have.

Ceiling blah blah, the Mitchell/O'Neale/Bogdanovic/Ingles/Gobert lineup has played as well as any lineup in the league. The problem is our only 3 solid bench players are score 1st guards.

Joe and Bojan don't rebound enough for us to be tiny... I think the best thing would be for Mike to come off the bench, but second best would be Joe doing it. I know we "don't want to lose Joe" but when we start them together we already have.
Unless Snyder shows an ability for designing plays that take advantage of what Conley, DM, and Joe all bring to the table as the primary ball-handler, and switch it up, we will continue to flounder when he insists on starting Conley. It can't be that hard can it? Hell just run some of the high school basic sets or stuff we already know works.

Joe runs PnR with Rudy, everyone else spots and cuts. With Conley and DM cutting and Bogie in the corner that would be money.

DM isos at the top of the key and slips Rudy's screen, Rudy rolls but the real play is the draw and kick. Again either stop DM and Rudy at the rim or stop the corner 3. Money.

Conley runs the A-set with a double screen at the top of the key, turns the corner and looks to get to the basket while Rudy, the 1st screen, screens for the corner shooter to get open at the elbow and then rolls. Either stop Conley, stop Rudy's roll or cover all open 3 pt shooters, 1 in the far corner, 1 at the elbow who can easily slip down to the corner and vice versa. Money

All of these can easily turn into the blender at any point with sharp passing and active motion.

But no, continue to run PnR with Conley and Rudy where that is very ineffective as Conley can't place the ball where Rudy needs it and it allows multiple defenders to swipe at him and takes Joe out of play almost entirely. Continue to make Conley the primary ball handler with no solid set play for him to get others involve and let him continue driving head-down into traffic and throwing up that weird runner in the lane that is one of the most inefficient shots in basketball. Continue using DM, one of if not the most dynamic guards in the league, as a corner shooter for the first 6 minutes of the game until he is subbed out so he cannot get any momentum in his game. Continue doing the same **** that we already know does not work, kills the motion offense, clogs the blender, and takes 3 of the 5 players out of the play most trips down the court. That is where the energy goes, it is hard to get anything going when 3 players that are excellent with touches, even if they end up in a series of passes, don't even touch the ball for multiple possessions at the beginning of the games.

But you do you Snyder. No need to create to your players strengths, just keep pounding on that square peg. Eventually it will fit in the hole or it will fall apart. Either way, keep hammering away at the same old ****.

Conley starting is a recipe for missing the playoffs, not even talking about losing in the 1st round.

Unless Snyder shows an ability for designing plays that take advantage of what Conley, DM, and Joe all bring to the table as the primary ball-handler, and switch it up, we will continue to flounder when he insists on starting Conley. It can't be that hard can it? Hell just run some of the high school basic sets or stuff we already know works.

Joe runs PnR with Rudy, everyone else spots and cuts. With Conley and DM cutting and Bogie in the corner that would be money.

DM isos at the top of the key and slips Rudy's screen, Rudy rolls but the real play is the draw and kick. Again either stop DM and Rudy at the rim or stop the corner 3. Money.

Conley runs the A-set with a double screen at the top of the key, turns the corner and looks to get to the basket while Rudy, the 1st screen, screens for the corner shooter to get open at the elbow and then rolls. Either stop Conley, stop Rudy's roll or cover all open 3 pt shooters, 1 in the far corner, 1 at the elbow who can easily slip down to the corner and vice versa. Money

All of these can easily turn into the blender at any point with sharp passing and active motion.

But no, continue to run PnR with Conley and Rudy where that is very ineffective as Conley can't place the ball where Rudy needs it and it allows multiple defenders to swipe at him and takes Joe out of play almost entirely. Continue to make Conley the primary ball handler with no solid set play for him to get others involve and let him continue driving head-down into traffic and throwing up that weird runner in the lane that is one of the most inefficient shots in basketball. Continue using DM, one of if not the most dynamic guards in the league, as a corner shooter for the first 6 minutes of the game until he is subbed out so he cannot get any momentum in his game. Continue doing the same **** that we already know does not work, kills the motion offense, clogs the blender, and takes 3 of the 5 players out of the play most trips down the court. That is where the energy goes, it is hard to get anything going when 3 players that are excellent with touches, even if they end up in a series of passes, don't even touch the ball for multiple possessions at the beginning of the games.

But you do you Snyder. No need to create to your players strengths, just keep pounding on that square peg. Eventually it will fit in the hole or it will fall apart. Either way, keep hammering away at the same old ****.

Conley starting is a recipe for missing the playoffs, not even talking about losing in the 1st round.

Conley has a little bit of the AB ball stop side dribble that is completely worthless to him. Ideally we bring him off the bench... the second best option is Joe for defense and rebounding purposes it just makes sense. It has only played like 50 minutes together but the Ingles/DM/JC/Niang/TB lineup is actually really positive. Joe's early struggles had a lot to do with him not having a pick and roll partner. TB is way better than Ed in that regard, so it may work better second time around.

Conley has a little bit of the AB ball stop side dribble that is completely worthless to him. Ideally we bring him off the bench... the second best option is Joe for defense and rebounding purposes it just makes sense. It has only played like 50 minutes together but the Ingles/DM/JC/Niang/TB lineup is actually really positive. Joe's early struggles had a lot to do with him not having a pick and roll partner. TB is way better than Ed in that regard, so it may work better second time around.
Worth a shot. But damn near anything is better than what we have had with Conley starting.

Worth a shot. But damn near anything is better than what we have had with Conley starting.
Maybe the Joe/TB pick and roll can get something out of him. Rudy then ends up suffering. We will see what happens I guess.. probably no changes because "he's mike effing Conley" and "Joe just needs to be better".

Maybe the Joe/TB pick and roll can get something out of him. Rudy then ends up suffering. We will see what happens I guess.. probably no changes because "he's mike effing Conley" and "Joe just needs to be better".
Bingo.

Absolutely kills me that we have this weapon that has proved to be very strong, the Joe & Rudy PnR, and we just... don't use it! What the everliving ****?!

Ceiling blah blah, the Mitchell/O'Neale/Bogdanovic/Ingles/Gobert lineup has played as well as any lineup in the league. The problem is our only 3 solid bench players are score 1st guards.
That is why I would not overspend on keeping Clarkson this summer. If we can get someobe like Christian Wood with Clarkson's money, we have to go for it. Sign Allonzo Trier to a min if we want another scoring first guard

Bingo.

Absolutely kills me that we have this weapon that has proved to be very strong, the Joe & Rudy PnR, and we just... don't use it! What the everliving ****?!
Mike didn't just wake up and now he's bad at basketball... they will figure it out... it needs time... 50 games ain't enough.

It's just funny Mike can't throw the lob pass because he is small and isn't a CP level passer... he ain't gonna figure it out... the pocket bounce pass doesn't work near as well with Rudy. So... ITS FLOATER SZN!

That is why I would not overspend on keeping Clarkson this summer. If we can get someobe like Christian Wood with Clarkson's money, we have to go for it.
Whether or not we sign JC or not we have the MLE to spend and nothing more. So you keep him unless it gets crazy. I think he gets a similar deal to Royce, but others think its too high.

Our max offer to any free agent is 4/43M... which honestly should be enough to land Wood. Give him a player option on the last year. Saw some Pistons stuff and I don't think they got a big second round pick type offer for him. I don't think we'd make that kind of offer for him... we won't take that much risk.

Bingo.

I also feel like that weapon gets 3/4 people going and not just those two... if they overcommit then Joe won't hesitate to fire the blender up.

Whether or not we sign JC or not we have the MLE to spend and nothing more. So you keep him unless it gets crazy. I think he gets a similar deal to Royce, but others think its too high.

Our max offer to any free agent is 4/43M... which honestly should be enough to land Wood. Give him a player option on the last year. Saw some Pistons stuff and I don't think they got a big second round pick type offer for him. I don't think we'd make that kind of offer for him... we won't take that much risk.
Depends on how well Wood plays for the remainder of this season. If he explodes in Drummond's absence, I can see him getting a 4yr 60mil+ type of deal, similar to what JV got from Memphis

Depends on how well Wood plays for the remainder of this season. If he explodes in Drummond's absence, I can see him getting a 4yr 60mil+ type of deal, similar to what JV got from Memphis

Yeah its tough to predict... other times I'm shocked that guys get so little... a small sample size and his early maturity issues (probably way overblown... dude was like 20) might still hurt his value. Uncertainty can drive prices up or down. It would also depend on if he likes Detroit because that team is about to go through an ugly re-build, is really cold, has super low attendance.

Sometimes guys like Bjelica go for quite a bit less than they should/could in a perfectly efficient market... and then sometimes guys like Terrence Ross get way the hell overpaid.

I also feel like that weapon gets 3/4 people going and not just those two... if they overcommit then Joe won't hesitate to fire the blender up.
Agreed. How many times have we seen Joe do the look-off fake to Rudy with the layup after in the last 5 games. Maybe twice, thrice? Not enough.

Not really... I said our record against good teams is bad... you said we lost to some bad teams in the 0-5 stretch... that isn't any better. How a team performs against +.500 teams is an indicator of playoff success.

The lineup top 7 that twitter person put out there is gobbly gook. Here is what I am pointing to...

- The starting lineup of DM, Joe, Royce, Bojan, Rudy has a +18.3 net rating... one of the best lineups in the league.
- Sub in Mike for Royce in that lineup - it is a +2.6
- Sub out DM and sub in Mike - its +10.4 (still good but worse than the other alignments).
- Take Joe out and sub Royce back in and its a +13.6

So yes... these alignments are all positive... we've chosen the worst one by far to be our starting lineup because "it gives us the most upside" and "its Mike effing Conley". Starting does matter because those lineups will get more run on a night to night basis and when you have to work things around to get to your best lineup it limits how much time spent on the floor.

So the top 7 is still good, but there are some clear fit issues and merging that much data together isn't useful. It is also hard to find lineups featuring Rudy that are negative. Its like me saying that between me and Michael Jordan we have 6 nba championships. Of the top 7 guys, Rudy has the worst +- with Mike. It also ignores that other holes on the roster are causing big issues that give away the separation those guys create... it also ignores that while rotations shrink in the playoffs that unless guys have defensive versatility you can't just throw them out there and make it work.

We aren't trash... we are good. We are not a contender... those top 7 being great only reiterates my belief that we needed to upgrade the 8th and 9th players.

But yeah we are a contender... we can beat anyone... even though we don't.

Who are the contenders in your opinion?

Who are the contenders in your opinion?
True contenders...

I'd say both LA teams, Milwaukee are true contenders. There is another group knocking at the door that if everything broke right maybe it happens... I'd say Houston, Miami, Toronto... maybe Denver. Then there is a tier below that with Utah, Philly, Boston that has some roster issues... may beat a couple teams in the playoffs because of matchup advantages, but would lose to 3-4 teams because of matchup issues and will surely face those teams at some point.

I mean if season ends today we get Houston without home court advantage, win that then you get the Lakers without home court advantage, then maybe you get the Clips or Denver... all of those teams create some issues for us. Can we beat them on any given night in the regular season... for sure. 4 out of 7 times without homecourt... nah.

We aren't trash... we are very good... with very solvable problems... that we don't seem to want to solve.

Before this trade, I would have rated the GS front office as the best I've ever seen for what they've done the last 5-6 years. The Russell move had me shaking my head but at least they got something for Durant. Russell obviously didn't fit. Now, they gamble on Wiggins. Interesting times.

Sometimes, the best move is no move. Like, don't go get Mike Conley.
TBH, I'm not surprised that GSW wants to try to roll with Wiggins. He might not be a great fit, but they need to gamble with Steph's next years. Klay is coming off an injury, Curry's being held out tanking, Green looks like a shell of himself, but he'll at the very least be back as a solid defender. If they can make Wiggins be their offensive weapon when Klay and Steph sits, they could be good.
Also, they know DLo won't make Minny good, so they'll pick up another lottery pick.

Skal for nothing. I get that it was probably a financial move but that’s the kind of guy we could use.
I don't see how we could. He's not a difference maker on this team IMHO. He'll have the odd game where he looks great, but so does Georges.