What's new

2020 NBA trade deadline discussion

I think the Lakers would move Danny Green, but they'd want a SG back, like maybe Alonzo Trier or Damien Dotson.

I think the Lakers would move:

Avery Bradley $4.77
JaVale McGee $4
Quin Cook $3
Kuzma $1.975
Troy Daniels $1.62
Jared Dudley $1.62

They would probably love to move Caldwell-Pope, but he has a no trade clause.

And how many times in the past did I tell the Lakers to use picks to dump Luol Deng's deal? Not only did they waste more of their picks than use wisely, but they are also having $5 million of their cap eaten up every single year by Deng's waive and stretch. This season and two more down the road. Piss poor planning.

I mean that's what they should do... but they might be wary of matching the type of deal he will get when their team is going through a rebuild. They don't have bird rights on him. So unless they move Drummond the highest they can go is MLE... well a bunch of teams could offer that and he might find a team he likes more.

They are selling off Kennard for draft assets, so I think they will likely reset the next couple years... go through the process until Blake's contract expires. Wood could be a better trade asset if they have him on a reasonable deal or he might clog their cap for other things they want to do... their window becomes something that is 3-4 years away.
Yep, I'd be genuinely upset if DL doesn't make a move for him or Jerami Grant this summer. Long forwards like these two are becoming the trend. Hou is even trying ro replace Capela with looney. Tough days for the traditional centers.

WTF can’t we just see what Brantley has??
Morgan or Brantley would have been great options to try a couple weeks ago... I still think it’s a good idea... problem is once the trade deadline passes you don’t have other options if they suck. Morgan should have been given a chance at backup 5.

I have high hopes for Brantley but the love for him on the board is fairly ridiculous. Dude is shooting <30% from 3.

Brantley is also a guy with many skills good handle, I don’t think he needs to be that good a shooter as long as he shoots at least 33-34% from three, plus he’ll get a ton more open looks than he probably gets in the GLeague

I'm looking back at the Denver game. With about 2.5 mins. left in the 3rd quarter, the Jazz led by 4 pts.
Rudy Gobert goes out of the game. The line up is Mudiay/Mitchell/Clarkson/Niang/Davis.
Denver closes the 3rd quarter on a 10-0 run in 2.5 mins.
Denver then starts the 4th quarter with a 4-0 run. Ed Davis has committed three shooting fouls in 3.5 mins of game time to give up 6 pts at the foul line.
Jazz are now down by 10.
The Jazz give up a 14-0 run during the 4.5 mins when Gobert takes a brief rest and lose control of the game.
Denver wins by 6 points.

Ed brings zero offense and zero defense to the table.
You can maybe hide Niang on the floor, but you can't hide Ed when he's at the center of your offense and defense.
We simply cannot afford to play Ed. At all.

Now maybe part of the problem is that our guards are undersized and they can't keep guys in front of them. Obviously Niang isn't going to keep guys in front of him. But if we're going to play small guards who like to dribble and score, we had better play a big who can help cover up for it.

I'm looking back at the Denver game. With about 2.5 mins. left in the 3rd quarter, the Jazz led by 4 pts.
Rudy Gobert goes out of the game. The line up is Mudiay/Mitchell/Clarkson/Niang/Davis.
Denver closes the 3rd quarter on a 10-0 run in 2.5 mins.
Denver then starts the 4th quarter with a 4-0 run. Ed Davis has committed three shooting fouls in 3.5 mins of game time to give up 6 pts at the foul line.
Jazz are now down by 10.
The Jazz give up a 14-0 run during the 4.5 mins when Gobert takes a brief rest and lose control of the game.
Denver wins by 6 points.

Ed brings zero offense and zero defense to the table.
You can maybe hide Niang on the floor, but you can't hide Ed when he's at the center of your offense and defense.
We simply cannot afford to play Ed. At all.

Now maybe part of the problem is that our guards are undersized and they can't keep guys in front of them. Obviously Niang isn't going to keep guys in front of him. But if we're going to play small guards who like to dribble and score, we had better play a big who can help cover up for it.
no center can make a lineup of Mudiay/Mitchell/Clarkson/Niang work defensively, not even rudy. a better idea is to give up D completely and try to outscore your opponent. so instead having a traditional big on the floor and pretend to play defense, a better option would be putting in a small ball 5, like PJ tucker or christian wood

our issue this season is that we put way too much pressure on our center to hold us up defensively cuz our perimeter guys can't guard a chair or rebound, gotta at least be able to do one. can't afford to do neither.

Brantley is also a guy with many skills good handle, I don’t think he needs to be that good a shooter as long as he shoots at least 33-34% from three, plus he’ll get a ton more open looks than he probably gets in the GLeague
yeah, DL and snyder gotta go with the flow and start experimenting with guys like brantley.

smallness, slowness and un-athleticism can only take you so far in the modern day nba.

no center can make a lineup of Mudiay/Mitchell/Clarkson/Niang work defensively, not even rudy. a better idea is to give up D completely and try to outscore your opponent. so instead having a traditional big on the floor and pretend to play defense, a better option would be putting in a small ball 5, like PJ tucker or christian wood

our issue this season is that we put way too much pressure on our center to hold us up defensively cuz our perimeter guys can't guard a chair or rebound, gotta at least be able to do one. can't afford to do neither.

Take Niang off the floor and replace him with a tough, physical defensive player who moves the ball on offense, and the defense might work. It isn't worth having Niang kill our defense for the few 3pt shots he takes, when Mitchell or Clarkson can take those shots. I think we probably have to replace both Ed and Georges in that lineup.

Take Niang off the floor and replace him with a tough, physical defensive player who moves the ball on offense, and the defense might work. It isn't worth having Niang kill our entire defense for the few 3pt shots he takes, when Mitchell or Clarkson can take those shots. I think we probably have to replace both Ed and Georges in that lineup.
just way too much slowness, un-athleticism and smallness on this team right now. quin loves high IQs and discipline, but bringing a few long athletes does not contradict such philosophy. it will only help us become a even more well-rounded team on both ends. just imagine how good we would be having a 6'10 long forward like Christian Wood or jerami grant right next to Rudy. we'd be crazy good on defense. heck, even thon maker would help a great deal.

Take Niang off the floor and replace him with a tough, physical defensive player who moves the ball on offense, and the defense might work. It isn't worth having Niang kill our defense for the few 3pt shots he takes, when Mitchell or Clarkson can take those shots. I think we probably have to replace both Ed and Georges in that lineup.
I seriously can't see how George has gotten the burn he has. Other than the 3 he brings nothing. Often less than nothing. Don't get it.