What's new

2020 Presidential election

Free college is not moderate. 1.25 trillion dollar debt elimination is not moderate
Yeah and there's a 99% chance that if Warren is elected neither of those things happen.

Meanwhile, she's very intelligent, very capable, has a very measured and methodical way of planning things out. She's a pit bull when it comes to consumer protection and sticking up for the average person.

Yeah and there's a 99% chance that if Warren is elected neither of those things happen.

Meanwhile, she's very intelligent, very capable, has a very measured and methodical way of planning things out. She's a pit bull when it comes to consumer protection and sticking up for the average person.

Hey if she wins I hope you’re right.

Free college is not moderate. 1.25 trillion dollar debt elimination is not moderate

Tuition free education isn’t a radical idea, even here in the United States. Currently, There are 20 states that offer Tuition free education at state schools and not all of them are blue states. Kentucky, Tennessee, and Indiana are red states.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/12/free-college-now-a-reality-in-these-states.html

Furthermore, as @Zombie pointed out, I don’t understand why some of you don’t bat an eye at throwing trillions at our defense budget (spending twice as much as the world combined) and trillions in tax handouts (that don’t stimulate the economy). Aren’t those radical ideas? Why are ideas such as free tuition or significant tuition aid and universal health care considered radical to your ilk while going hundreds of thousands in debt or going bankrupt over health care considered “normal?”

It’s really weird.

I agree with you, the defense budget is too great as well. Common Ground!

As for the tuition free education, it’s incredibly unethical. I’m a year away from finishing my degree, it’s been a privilege that I will continue to pay for for the next couple years. This is not a right, that the general public should pay for.

I agree with you, the defense budget is too great as well. Common Ground!

As for the tuition free education, it’s incredibly unethical. I’m a year away from finishing my degree, it’s been a privilege that I will continue to pay for for the next couple years. This is not a right, that the general public should pay for.

Unethical?

Why would it be unethical?

The general public already pays for public education. States with free tuition have set requirements that students fulfill in order to maintain their free tuition status. It’s much much more transparent and accountable than our general current system of loans. So if you feel like free state tuition fosters abuse, then I invite you to learn more about our student loan industry.

As far as ethics, you’ve lost me with your “unethical” talk. What’s unethical about free tuition? Is Tennessee less ethical than Utah because it offers free state tuition? Is BYU less ethical than Utah Valley because it offers heavily subsidized tuition?

please explain your answer better.

As an educator, I absolutely believe that obtaining an education demands a price. But I don’t think it should necessarily be a monetary price. Often, students in my classroom aren’t there because they’re the best students. They’re often there because they scored in the genetic lottery. Couldn’t one argue that it’s unethical to prohibit bright young people an education based on their socioeconomic level and thus dooming them to a cycle of poverty?

Last edited:
Unethical?

Why would it be unethical?

The general public already pays for public education. States with free tuition have set requirements that students fulfill in order to maintain their free tuition status. It’s much much more transparent and accountable than our general current system of loans. So if you feel like free state tuition fosters abuse, then I invite you to learn more about our student loan industry.

As far as ethics, you’ve lost me with your “unethical” talk. What’s unethical about free tuition? Is Tennessee less ethical than Utah because it offers free state tuition? Is BYU less ethical than Utah Valley because it offers heavily subsidized tuition?

please explain your answer better.

As an educator, I absolutely believe that obtaining an education demands a price. But I don’t think it should necessarily be a monetary price. Often, students in my classroom aren’t there because they’re the best students. They’re often there because they scored in the genetic lottery. Couldn’t one argue that it’s unethical to prohibit bright young people an education based on their socioeconomic level and thus dooming them to a cycle of poverty?

Yes you’re right roughly 35-45% of University costs are payed by the public already. Tuition pays for about 45-50%.
And I see what you’re saying about wealth vs aptitude. I’ve dealt with that and I found plenty of opportunities to be successful at University, plenty. For those who want to get an education there are an abundance of resources to help you, credit our current system with that.

There are so many worthy causes to spend national funds on but that doesn’t mean government should take the money I’ve worked so hard to gain. In the end government is inefficient and bloated. And a major portion of all the time(work) they take from me is wasted. That’s why I see needless spending as unethical.

You would take money from me for something public sentiment(that is ever changing, and a truly awful gauge of morality) may deem as good and charitable, when I could easily give to charities far more effective or spend that money and actually increase value in our community (which is good for society).

There are a lot of good purpose for government, and from what I've seen as a student if you really want to increase government spending there would be better uses.

Yes you’re right roughly 35-45% of University costs are payed by the public already. Tuition pays for about 45-50%.
And I see what you’re saying about wealth vs aptitude. I’ve dealt with that and I found plenty of opportunities to be successful at University, plenty. For those who want to get an education there are an abundance of resources to help you, credit our current system with that.

There are so many worthy causes to spend national funds on but that doesn’t mean government should take the money I’ve worked so hard to gain. In the end government is inefficient and bloated. And a major portion of all the time(work) they take from me is wasted. That’s why I see needless spending as unethical.

You would take money from me for something public sentiment(that is ever changing, and a truly awful gauge of morality) may deem as good and charitable, when I could easily give to charities far more effective or spend that money and actually increase value in our community (which is good for society).

There are a lot of good purpose for government, and from what I've seen as a student if you really want to increase government spending there would be better uses.
The government could cancel all federal student debt and it wouldn't cost you a dime.

It's staggering how many people don't understand this.

The only thing more inefficient and bloated than government is private enterprise.

The government set up the laws, infrastructure, and social environment that allowed you to think you are self-made.

Cory Booker is out.

I think after Iowa there will be a clearer picture of who the legit candidates for the nomination are.

But I think it is entirely possible the eventual nominee is either not in the race at the moment or is not one of the 4 front-runners. Once the huge field gets narrowed down there's a better environment for someone else to step forward and get some traction. But no, not Michelle Obama, not Oprah Winfrey, not Alex Baldwin or any stupid **** like that.

I would waste my vote on Alec Baldwin if one of his campaign promises was to give the state of the union address(every year) as Jack Donaghy

Warren not very smart about picking up a fight with Sanders. No Sanders doesn’t think that a woman can’t win the WH lol