What's new

2020 Presidential election

I think healthcare and climate change alone are reasons to vote for Biden/Harris.

I don't love the ACA, and would prefer to see it replaced with M4A but at the very least a Biden administration won't be going to the courts to get it dismantled.

I agree with you. I wish we could replace M4A right now. But I don't think there's enough support for it yet. At the very least, we can continue to expand Obamacare to shorten the gap between our current system and M4A. Remember, just getting Obamacare passed in 2010 was a dream come true. Little by little we're going to get universal health care. We are the party to do it as Republicans sure as hell won't. They've taken the opposite stance and think that healthcare is a right only for the privileged few.

I agree with you. I wish we could replace M4A right now. But I don't think there's enough support for it yet. At the very least, we can continue to expand Obamacare to shorten the gap between our current system and M4A. Remember, just getting Obamacare passed in 2010 was a dream come true. Little by little we're going to get universal health care. We are the party to do it as Republicans sure as hell won't. They've taken the opposite stance and think that healthcare is a right only for the privileged few.
I'd argue there's more support for M4A than at least half of what makes it through congress, but I understand that bar needs to be higher any time legislation is actually meant to help people.

I'd argue there's more support for M4A than at least half of what makes it through congress, but I understand that bar needs to be higher any time legislation is actually meant to help people.
You can ramrod it through the house. But there’s no way in hell it’ll pass the senate. Even if we retake the majority. You need 2/3rds to pass M4A in the Senate unless you blow up the filibuster, right?

Polls show that people support elements of M4A but not all of it in its entirety. Part of that resistance could be the disinformation behind M4A too... but part also might come from our own base, white union Workers.

I think healthcare and climate change alone are reasons to vote for Biden/Harris.

I don't love the ACA, and would prefer to see it replaced with M4A but at the very least a Biden administration won't be going to the courts to get it dismantled.

Climate change maybe, but I think there are far more pressing issues right now. Health care, I don't think for one second Biden will actually do anything to help considering some of his biggest donors are private insurance execs and he's laughed the idea of single payer out of the room.

You can ramrod it through the house. But there’s no way in hell it’ll pass the senate. Even if we retake the majority. You need 2/3rds to pass M4A in the Senate unless you blow up the filibuster, right?

Polls show that people support elements of M4A but not all of it in its entirety. Part of that resistance could be the disinformation behind M4A too... but part also might come from our own base, white union Workers.
Yeah blowing up the filibuster is going to have to happen regardless imo. I don't see the democrats gaining 2/3 of the senate any time soon. M4A could poll at 90% and as long as there are 35 GOP senators its not going to pass.

Climate change maybe, but I think there are far more pressing issues right now. Health care, I don't think for one second Biden will actually do anything to help considering some of his biggest donors are private insurance execs and he's laughed the idea of single payer out of the room.
You should reread that last sentence. As for climate change, there really isn't a more pressing issue imo.

There aren’t more pressing issues right now. Unless (a) you just don’t believe in the science of climate change and the timetables that are emerging, or (b) you think our society has the wherewithal and institutional fortitude to ‘solve’ another issue or two and then cycle around and get to climate change in time.

Both (a) and (b) are lols.

Yeah blowing up the filibuster is going to have to happen regardless imo. I don't see the democrats gaining 2/3 of the senate any time soon. M4A could poll at 90% and as long as there are 35 GOP senators its not going to pass.

Right. I agree.

You should reread that last sentence. As for climate change, there really isn't a more pressing issue imo.

Meh. I say we blow off the experts and just try to tough it out. I mean, this strategy sure has worked out well for us for these past 7 months, right? Besides, since when have experts been 100 percent right?

Most prosecutors are. This doesn't really bug me and I don't think it should bug others either. It's only recently have politicians and prosecutors been open to changing our justice system and ending the war on drugs. Have you read this book? It's a terrific look at how some prosecutors and judges are looking to change the judicial system to be more sympathetic. I'm open to her having evolving views on the justice system. How many people today who support gay marriage weren't supportive of it 5 years ago? 10? Why shouldn't we let others have evolving points of view?

How do you know she pretended to smoke weed in college or listen to rap?

How so? She supported body cams in the past. She also supported decision making at the local level (federalism). Which seems pretty damn American. Just curious, what's your stance on common core?

• Really? Like raising min wage to $15? A view similar to that of Warren, Sanders, and Yang?
  • Paid leave similar to Yang, a candidate you have expressed support for?
  • Student aid similar to what most of the Democratic candidates supported?
  • Expanding health care without abolishing Obamacare/insurance completely similar to what Yang, Biden, Mayor Pete, and Beto?
Did you even look at her platform? Why are you such a big fan of Yang when he has such similar views to Harris?

She is progressive enough (not too much to scare off moderate voters), has a great background in the criminal justice system, can help Biden during these tough times, doesn't cost the party a Senate seat, and will be a great prospect for 2024. I especially like her suggestions of eliminating mandatory sentences and abolishing private prisons. This however, needs to be combined with a progressive view of reinvestment in these rural communities since workers in private prisons won't go down without a fight. Therefore, they need job retraining so make such reforms possible.

Why don't you think this should be factored into her selection?

Um. Okay. What evidence to you have to support this opinion and why is this bad?

I just gave you several but I'm sure you'll still just want to complain.

1. I don't care how things are changing. She has been indefensible on the issue of justice. She's way behind the ball at best and is disgustingly bad at worst.

2. I have no idea if she smoked weed in college. I do know her story is factually impossible do to album release dates which means she is full of ****.

3. NO!!!!! She does not have a great background in the criminal justice system. She has a background but it is far from great.

4. She is not progressive. Not until she needs to be progressive in order to bend the knee to whomever is controlling her.

5. IDGAF if she is a woman or a trans or a he/she or a lady boy. I do not give a rats *** if she is black, jewish, Mexican, Mediterranean, gypsy, Jew, whatever.

1. I don't care how things are changing. She has been indefensible on the issue of justice. She's way behind the ball at best and is disgustingly bad at worst.

That's not a rational position to take.

2. I have no idea if she smoked weed in college. I do know her story is factually impossible do to album release dates which means she is full of ****.

So why did you bring it up?

3. NO!!!!! She does not have a great background in the criminal justice system. She has a background but it is far from great.

Sigh. I didn't mean that you'd agree with her background but that she had a vast, deep, and informed understanding of the justice system.

4. She is not progressive. Not until she needs to be progressive in order to bend the knee to whomever is controlling her.

I just provided you with several examples of how she's progressive. Hell, she and Yang shared similar views on key issues. You cream yourself over Yang yet still bitch about Harris?
Answer this truthfully, did you ever visit their websites and check out their platforms?
5. IDGAF if she is a woman or a trans or a he/she or a lady boy. I do not give a rats *** if she is black, jewish, Mexican, Mediterranean, gypsy, Jew, whatever.
Cool. But why shouldn't her race or gender matter? It's part of her identity, right? So why shouldn't it? It doesn't have to be a determining factor but why shouldn't it be a factor when deciding on running mates and representation? I for one feel strongly that both Utah's legislature and our federal congress could benefit by having more diverse representation.

That's not a rational position to take.

So why did you bring it up?

Sigh. I didn't mean that you'd agree with her background but that she had a vast, deep, and informed understanding of the justice system.

I just provided you with several examples of how she's progressive. Hell, she and Yang shared similar views on key issues. You cream yourself over Yang yet still bitch about Harris?
Answer this truthfully, did you ever visit their websites and check out their platforms?

Cool. But why shouldn't her race or gender matter? It's part of her identity, right? So why shouldn't it? It doesn't have to be a determining factor but why shouldn't it be a factor when deciding on running mates and representation? I for one feel strongly that both Utah's legislature and our federal congress could benefit by having more diverse representation.

1. Yes it is.

2. Because she is a liar

3. She has a deep terrible horrendous background

4. Not their websites no. But their speeches and debates yes. I will look at their sites and I will and I will l return and report.

5. It might matter to some people but it matters 0% to me. I don't see how her being a woman or jamaican/indian is releveant to her terrible history.

BLM has gone from well intentioned to being taken over by the far left.

What's the part of their platform you consider "far left"?

1. Yes it is.

Then you clearly don't know what rational means.

2. Because she is a liar

What? First you said you didn't care now she's a liar? Which is it? Can you make up your mind? Furthermore, is there any other possible explanation other than being a liar? Would you provide candidates you like with the same lack of patience? A candidate like... Yang? Who shares similar views to Harris?

3. She has a deep terrible horrendous background
4. Not their websites no. But their speeches and debates yes. I will look at their sites and I will and I will l return and report.

Honestly, I seriously doubt you have much of an understanding about her background seeing how little effort you made in actually learning about her platform. Those debates with so many candidates were actually a pretty poor way of getting to know candidates and their political stances.

5. It might matter to some people but it matters 0% to me. I don't see how her being a woman or jamaican/indian is releveant to her terrible history.

You don't think having lawmakers and governors from different races, genders, and backgrounds could benefit lawmaking and governing? Why?

What's the part of their platform you consider "far left"?

I've asked him that about 3 times in different ways.

The left has taken over BLM. Whatever... "The left" means. I've still yet to learn how BLM has changed since it has been taken over by "the left." It seems remarkably similar to the BLM organization I became familiar with two years ago. If anything, it has become more mainstream and less radical. And even then, I'm not so sure their rhetoric has changed so much as mainstream opinions have bent to understand better the plight of POC.

I beleive the fraction is 3/5, which is why we have the ACA (exactly 60 Democratic Senators at that time).

If Dems take the Senate they need to kill the filibuster right off the bat, then grant statehood to D.C. and Puerto Rico. That'll be 4 more senators, likely Dem, that can serve as a buffer for them to get other things like MC4A done without having to immediately worry about electoral consequences. And it will be a major rebuke to McConnell and force the GOP to finally (hopefully) moderate itself and purge the Trumpists and their ilk.

1. Absolutely, as most centrist Democrats were for a couple of decades. Fair point.
2. I don't know how old you are, but I'm a couple of years older than her. I guarantee you, at our age, if you think you can know exactly what you listed to in college instead of just after it, without actually knowing the dates, you're kidding yourself.
3. She has an effective and competent background.
4. Possibly not. People seem to think Harris the Senator was very different from Harris the DA.
5. Cool.