What's new

2021 Free Agency

There are some additional mildly intriguing things we could do with the MLE if we can’t find someone could enough to use it all. Might find a guy who would get a 1 year minimum elsewhere… that is a better than minimum guy and get him for like 3/9M. You then use 1M of it on Jared Butler and then save the rest for buyout guys… while it is only slightly more than a minimum deal… you can offer the whole amount (not the prorated amount) to vault yourself to the top of the competition. Not sure it really matters unless it’s a lower tier of buyout guy like Aminu. Love and others won’t decide based on a million dollar difference.

Tony Jones tweeted yesterday that the Jazz are looking for a MLE guy and the rest minimum contracts in free agency plus Conley of course.

Sounds like Lowry is headed to Miami once conversations “allowed” per Woj. They exercised Dragic option for next year to use in the trade. Can’t wait until he is bought out and joins one of the LA teams.

Dinwiddie sounds headed to Washington in a sign and trade.

I’m a little worried NO overpays you get in the Conley game and we end up with a Deandre Jordan situation.

Boston seems to know Fournier is headed out (prolly to NY).

Detroit is up to something… planning another Jerami Grant type signing that makes everyone say “WTF he went to Detroit”.

Speaking of Detroit… Josh Jackson is not a Jazz DNA guy but he’s improved and is a guy worth taking a shot on. He’s a big time competitor and a big time ***… we need an *** but is he like Cousins or more towards the Jae side of the spectrum. He’s owed like 5M this year and if they want a smidge more space he’d fit in the trade exception, a great option imo if we miss on our MLE targets. I think he could do quite well with some actual guards and a center like Rudy. The off court stuff may have just been a kid making dumb mistakes… or he might not be a pro… he’s not been my cup of tea but IDK.

Sounds like Lowry is headed to Miami once conversations “allowed” per Woj. They exercised Dragic option for next year to use in the trade. Can’t wait until he is bought out and joins one of the LA teams.

I’m a little worried NO overpays you get in the Conley game and we end up with a Deandre Jordan situation.

Detroit is up to something… planning another Jerami Grant type signing that makes everyone say “WTF he went to Detroit”.

Speaking of Detroit… Josh Jackson is not a Jazz DNA guy but he’s improved and is a guy worth taking a shot on. He’s a big time competitor and a big time ***… we need an *** but is he like Cousins or more towards the Jae side of the spectrum. He’s owed like 5M this year and if they want a smidge more space he’d fit in the trade exception, a great option imo if we miss on our MLE targets. I think he could do quite well with some actual guards and a center like Rudy. The off court stuff may have just been a kid making dumb mistakes… or he might not be a pro… he’s not been my cup of tea but IDK.

I like the way you think.

After reading the Tony Jones article on Favs I am absolutely friggin convinced we could have gotten Favs for like 2-3M less per year. Sounds like he really wanted to be here and that the whole year in NO he was looking forward to coming back. We offer 3/21 after how he was talking… no way he turns it down. If we get him at that number we duck the tax last year and his contract is maybe low enough to stomach it this year. I’m not sure we negotiated at all… I think we had an opportunity to get a hometown discount for once… and passed it by.

After reading the Tony Jones article on Favs I am absolutely friggin convinced we could have gotten Favs for like 2-3M less per year. Sounds like he really wanted to be here and that the whole year in NO he was looking forward to coming back. We offer 3/21 after how he was talking… no way he turns it down. If we get him at that number we duck the tax last year and his contract is maybe low enough to stomach it this year. I’m not sure we negotiated at all… I think we had an opportunity to get a hometown discount for once… and passed it by.
The Jazz parting ways with him the first time sounds like a DL screwup plain and simple. DL kept saying "we need to find a sniper." They flirted with a guy that went to Spain and we ended up with Bogey but in doing so had to Move Favs, not resign Neto and then things really turned weird with the Davis, Green, NWG, Howard and Kidd signings. It seems if you needed a sniper go sign the top three point shooter in the GLeague, Australia or wherever or draft him.

The Jazz went after Portis before and he's not your every day "Jazz DNA guy" either. And in all fairness, we really should've signed him. He was solid for the Bucks in their championship run.

The Jazz went after Portis before and he's not your every day "Jazz DNA guy" either. And in all fairness, we really should've signed him. He was solid for the Bucks in their championship run.
I don't get the "Jazz DNA guy". Every single sports franchise seems to think they have have special DNA. What's the "Jazz DNA"? A franchise that has never won an championship and generally blows in the playoffs? If so, sign me up for some non Jazz DNA guys.

Jackson had some pretty bad ****… Portis got pissed at a teammate and broke his face. I’m 90% certain there was a racial slur thrown out because none of Niko’s teammates really backed him.

Just google some of the jackson stuff in Phoenix… he seems to have strained himself out… maybe.

I don't get the "Jazz DNA guy". Every single sports franchise seems to think they have have special DNA. What's the "Jazz DNA"? A franchise that has never won an championship and generally blows in the playoffs? If so, sign me up for some non Jazz DNA guys.
I agree… I use the term tongue in cheek… we are generally really conservative when it comes to taking on guys that have had checkered pasts.

Whatever our moves are I hope we combine it with grabbing Darius Miller on a minimum deal. Shooter with good size and passable defender. No idea why he didn’t get picked up last year after the thunder released him. He would have been an upgrade in the Oni spot and may have been able to hit some shots when Niang went cold.

Whatever our moves are I hope we combine it with grabbing Darius Miller on a minimum deal. Shooter with good size and passable defender. No idea why he didn’t get picked up last year after the thunder released him. He would have been an upgrade in the Oni spot and may have been able to hit some shots when Niang went cold.
Miller also had his best year by a lot (doubled his career PER previous to last year) on a putrid team. It's worth a look at the minimum, but he had an outlier last year and that should be kept in mind (he ain't gonna shoot .685 TS%, not that he has to... but that would be crazy sick).

Miller also had his best year by a lot (doubled his career PER previous to last year) on a putrid team. It's worth a look at the minimum, but he had an outlier last year and that should be kept in mind (he ain't gonna shoot .685 TS%, not that he has to... but that would be crazy sick).
Career 38% 3 pt shooter on good volume… he was coming back from Achilles but is a great value play now.

I honestly did not know Miller made it back into the league after tearing his achilles, good for him. Not sure I believe in his 200 minutes though. I'd probably prefer to Hinkie special a guy from Europe or younger player. I'd have to watch him play defense.

We are like 500K away from the apron with Conley at 18.5M and Butler.

If we wanted to get someone via sign-and-trade we would have to move Bogey/Ingles/Clarkson and take back basically equivalent or less salary than whoever we send out. Then we wouldn’t be able to use the MLE.

We would have to take back much less salary because we would still need to fill out the rest of the roster.

Would waiting to sign Conley until the two exceptions are used be doable with the apron?

That wouldn’t make a difference. However, we can use the trade exceptions at any time, with or without Conley’s contract, as long as the player(s) we take back are already under contract. We’re allowed to go over the apron as long as it isn’t a sign and trade.