What's new

2021 Free Agency

Can someone help me understand why teams are lining up to sign 36 year old Kyle Lowry to a three year $30 million+ dollar deal? Seems really ****ing stupid. Dude is gonna be nearly 40 that last year.

I seem to be more optimistic on Morgan than most, I hope we get lucky and he comes back
His total lack of playing time last year after showing promise in the bubble.... for me, that’s one of the more puzzling minor subplots of last season. He and Brantley are the precise profile of a player on the margin that we need to find and help them break out. If it isn’t these guys, then it needs to be someone else who is (a) found on the scrap heap, (b) presently unfamiliar with our system, and (c) able to crack Q’s rigid, nightly rotation. None of this feels promising from the limited perspective afforded to a fan.

Can someone help me understand why teams are lining up to sign 36 year old Kyle Lowry to a three year $30 million+ dollar deal? Seems really ****ing stupid. Dude is gonna be nearly 40 that last year.
I think because he is still really good at basketball. I also think people saw what Chris Paul did this year with the Suns and they think they can duplicate it.

I’m officially hooking myself up to Hearsky’s Bobby Portis bandwagon. Before you all give me valid reasons as to why it will never happen, please allow me to wax poetic as to why it could and should happen.

Why it should happen:
- This Jazz team needs an enforcer with attitude IN THE WORST WAY! We’ve been missing it since Crowder left. I’ll also go 1 step further and declare that if the Jazz could have somehow done the Conley deal without having to move Crowder, we’re in the Finals this year and we probably beat Denver last year. Portis would bring that attitude back in spades.
- He’s a 6’10” dude who can play the hell out of the Stretch 5. He IS our answer for when teams wanna get cute and go small ball on our asses. Shot a whopping 47% from 3 last year and has been reliable from 3 over the course of his career.
- When looking at what went wrong against the Clippers, I’m hard pressed to find a single player that would help the Jazz’s weaknesses more than Mr. Bobby Portis Jr.

Why it could happen:
- Dude just declined a player option with the Bucks that would have paid him a mere $3.6 mil. With the Bucks cap situation, they could throw their mid-level at him which will still leave him short of $5 mil/per. Bobby wants to return to the Bucks, but the outside market is just gonna put too much money on the table for him to walk away from.
- While money will almost certainly keep him from returning to Milwaukee, it’s hard to fathom Portis signing with any non-contender at this point. That being said, with most of the legit contenders being as cash strapped as we are, it levels the playing field a bit for the Jazz.
- If there’s enough interest to acquire Portis via a sign and trade, Utah has a $5 mil trade exception from the Ed Davis trade that expires on August 6th. If it takes more than $5 mil, we also have the brand new Favors trade exception that’s just over $9 mil.
- If we sign him outright, we’ve got the taxpayer exception to work with. Honestly, I don’t think any of the contenders are gonna spend $9 mil on Portis but the Jazz could if they wanted to. Hell, even if the Jazz threw him an offer in the $6-7 mil range, it keeps Portis with a contender and looks a lot better than the $3.6-4.5 mil that the Bucks would be able to pay him.

There’s been more than 1 Portis/Utah rumor over the last couple of offseasons and it definitely seems like there’s a little smoke there. Probably to the point in which these 2 camps have had some discussions before and have both considered the scenario in the past. I don’t think it’s as big of a pipe dream as one might think at first glance. I’m gonna go ahead and keep my hopes up on this one.

I’m officially hooking myself up to Hearsky’s Bobby Portis bandwagon. Before you all give me valid reasons as to why it will never happen, please allow me to wax poetic as to why it could and should happen.

Why it should happen:
- This Jazz team needs an enforcer with attitude IN THE WORST WAY! We’ve been missing it since Crowder left. I’ll also go 1 step further and declare that if the Jazz could have somehow done the Conley deal without having to move Crowder, we’re in the Finals this year and we probably beat Denver last year. Portis would bring that attitude back in spades.
- He’s a 6’10” dude who can play the hell out of the Stretch 5. He IS our answer for when teams wanna get cute and go small ball on our asses. Shot a whopping 47% from 3 last year and has been reliable from 3 over the course of his career.
- When looking at what went wrong against the Clippers, I’m hard pressed to find a single player that would help the Jazz’s weaknesses more than Mr. Bobby Portis Jr.

Why it could happen:
- Dude just declined a player option with the Bucks that would have paid him a mere $3.6 mil. With the Bucks cap situation, they could throw their mid-level at him which will still leave him short of $5 mil/per. Bobby wants to return to the Bucks, but the outside market is just gonna put too much money on the table for him to walk away from.
- While money will almost certainly keep him from returning to Milwaukee, it’s hard to fathom Portis signing with any non-contender at this point. That being said, with most of the legit contenders being as cash strapped as we are, it levels the playing field a bit for the Jazz.
- If there’s enough interest to acquire Portis via a sign and trade, Utah has a $5 mil trade exception from the Ed Davis trade that expires on August 6th. If it takes more than $5 mil, we also have the brand new Favors trade exception that’s just over $9 mil.
- If we sign him outright, we’ve got the taxpayer exception to work with. Honestly, I don’t think any of the contenders are gonna spend $9 mil on Portis but the Jazz could if they wanted to. Hell, even if the Jazz threw him an offer in the $6-7 mil range, it keeps Portis with a contender and looks a lot better than the $3.6-4.5 mil that the Bucks would be able to pay him.

There’s been more than 1 Portis/Utah rumor over the last couple of offseasons and it definitely seems like there’s a little smoke there. Probably to the point in which these 2 camps have had some discussions before and have both considered the scenario in the past. I don’t think it’s as big of a pipe dream as one might think at first glance. I’m gonna go ahead and keep my hopes up on this one.
Reports are that Portis is likely to re-sign in Milwaukee.

Reports are that Portis is likely to re-sign in Milwaukee.
My numbers were off a bit. It looks like the Bucks can offer $5.9 mil. Getting close to $6 mil, coming off a championship, and having been embraced by Milwaukee fans the way he has probably all add up to Portis staying with the Bucks.

If I’m JZ, I still make the phone call and see if $9 mil is enough to make Portis re-think the decision. If the Jazz are serious about running it back and could somehow pull off a Portis signing, I’d be happy if the Jazz called it a day after that. The roster would basically be intact minus the loss of Favors and Niang. Butler solidifies the back-up PG issue along with giving us spot minutes of perimeter D and Portis can eat up the minutes of Niang and some of Favors while also giving us some small ball 5.

I do not get it either. Beside the fact that Lowry has battled some injuries.

My numbers were off a bit. It looks like the Bucks can offer $5.9 mil. Getting close to $6 mil, coming off a championship, and having been embraced by Milwaukee fans the way he has probably all add up to Portis staying with the Bucks.

If I’m JZ, I still make the phone call and see if $9 mil is enough to make Portis re-think the decision. If the Jazz are serious about running it back and could somehow pull off a Portis signing, I’d be happy if the Jazz called it a day after that. The roster would basically be intact minus the loss of Favors and Niang. Butler solidifies the back-up PG issue along with giving us spot minutes of perimeter D and Portis can eat up the minutes of Niang and some of Favors while also giving us some small ball 5.
I still think the Jazz need a 3-D wing.

If we have have two trade exceptions couldn't we use one on Craig and the other on Portis Jr. Do we have to give Portis the whole exception? Say we give him 7 million per year for 3 years. Craig can get 5 million for the other one. Then call it a day.

If we have have two trade exceptions couldn't we use one on Craig and the other on Portis Jr. Do we have to give Portis the whole exception? Say we give him 7 million per year for 3 years. Craig can get 5 million for the other one. Then call it a day.
That would be an AMAZING offseason.

We basically jettison Favors and Niang, and through the draft, salary and trade exceptions add Portis, Craig, and Butler. Oh, and we pull all that off while resigning Conley. Sign me the hell up!!

Everyone just take a seat for a second… I need to tell you all something.

The Jazz cannot accept a player who is signed and traded without dumping a BIG contract first… so please dream accordingly. They will be over the apron and this can’t accept a player in a sign and trade deal.

They can use the taxpayer MLE to sign someone… or they can use the trade exception to take someone who is already under contract. That player needs to make less than 9.2M

Okay thanks everyone.

Portis likely gets full MLE from a team like Sacramento and then gets traded this year or next. If he’s take full taxpayer MLE by all means give it to him but he likely gets a Favorsesque offer or more. 3/18 ain’t gonna cut it.