What's new

2021 NBA Draft Preview (new thread)

I was also right about Conley coming back strong and having a monster year after you were capping to trade him for crumbs...

I'll probably continue to be more right than wrong when it comes to NBA draft stuff. Jalen Harris was my big call last draft and he scored 31 points in the final game of the year.

Oh look I called the what the Mitchell pick was perfectly before he even played a game.

Oh look I described a perfect draft in the case that Mitchell wasnt able to be picked.

One thing about me Cy - I will give credit, even to you, when credit is due. Hell, I even like some of your posts. I'm not saying you are wrong all the time. You get some things right. I know you don't have the bones humble enough to like anything I ever post because you're too intent on trying to make jabs, but I sleep fine.

Conley had a good season. It's too bad he had a bad postseason. As an "All-Star", he should have been able to combine with Rudy to beat the 8 seed with our nice home court advantage. Instead, we got beat and had to maybe rush Don back.

The Conley trade is just bad. You should admit it. We haven't seen all of the picks yet. We don't even know if Grayson is going to get better. Or Clarke. It's that bad. The trade is and was bad.

I'm a weirdo so I definitely do the "what if we had just taken Derrick White or Josh Hart?" I just thinking finding a guy that flashed something would greatly improve our situation... either by providing a cheap role player or by giving us a valuable trade chip. Udoka isn't worth much of anything in trade... Bane and McDaniels I think are worth more now than the pick was on draft night. Plus getting that guy in the pipeline and year further down the road would have been great given our tight timeframe. Like with Bane... last year maybe he's the 9th or 10th man for us but can move up further in the hierarchy because of performance. Udoka is still at square one.

I haven't really watched much college this year... the guys you mention are interesting I think Springer ends up closer to the lotto but that's purely based on mock draft nonsense. I'd be fine with either of those guys. We likely take Day'ron Sharpe or draft someone I like only to move back or out of the draft (putting a reverse jinx on this).
The latest mock on ESPN has Springer going 29. I think it's probably smoke at this point. He's having the misfortune of being highly rated at one point and people cooling on his potential rather than being a sleeper people are getting hyped on like some others.

One thing about me Cy - I will give credit, even to you, when credit is due. Hell, I even like some of your posts. I'm not saying you are wrong all the time. You get some things right. I know you don't have the bones humble enough to like anything I ever post because you're too intent on trying to make jabs, but I sleep fine.

Conley had a good season. It's too bad he had a bad postseason. As an "All-Star", he should have been able to combine with Rudy to beat the 8 seed with our nice home court advantage. Instead, we got beat and had to maybe rush Don back.

The Conley trade is just bad. You should admit it. We haven't seen all of the picks yet. We don't even know if Grayson is going to get better. Or Clarke. It's that bad. The trade is and was bad.
lmfao. He got injured because of a BS season like 50% of all league stars have done in this year's playoffs.

You want the trade to fail soooooo ****ing badly it's pathetic. When Conley and the Jazz were crushing people it was just silence from you. You were probably excited when he got hurt cuz you knew you had some ammo in the "the mike conley trade was actually bad" clip.

The Jazz really should have traded the #1 record in teh NBA and a real shot to compete for Grayson Allen, Jae Crowder, Brandon Clarke, and another likely scrub (yes, that is the overwhelming outcome for players picked in that projected slot, which should be another pick in the 25-30 range next year).

lmfao. He got injured because of a BS season like 50% of all league stars have done in this year's playoffs.

You want the trade to fail soooooo ****ing badly it's pathetic. When Conley and the Jazz were crushing people it was just silence from you. You were probably excited when he got hurt cuz you knew you had some ammo in the "the mike conley trade was actually bad" clip.

The Jazz really should have traded the #1 record in teh NBA and a real shot to compete for Grayson Allen, Jae Crowder, Brandon Clarke, and another likely scrub (yes, that is the overwhelming outcome for players picked in that projected slot, which should be another pick in the 25-30 range next year).
I wanted the trade to work because I wanted to be wrong because I wanted us to win something substantial.

I hate being right when it means my teams don't succeed.

And go back and look - I didn't say a single negative thing about Conley all season. There was no reason to. As soon as the situation became exactly what I said it would be, I spoke up. And it's the last thing I wanted. Just like Rudy getting exposed - I don't want to be right that he's not as impactful come playoff time, but it just is what it is.

Last edited:
The latest mock on ESPN has Springer going 29. I think it's probably smoke at this point. He's having the misfortune of being highly rated at one point and people cooling on his potential rather than being a sleeper people are getting hyped on like some others.
Well then he could be there... just seems like the type of guy that might rise... young and a valuable position.

I guess after last year's draft I am not in the mood to meltdown again... so gonna keep expectations low and then hope to be surprised.

Any news on Butler's issue. Hopefully he is good and can resume his career. He's the guy I liked a lot. If he was completely healthy I don't think there's any way he's available. If its safe for him to play basketball he's a guy I'd love.

Hot take... Jared Butler will be a better pro than Davion Mitchell. This assumes he is medically cleared.

Josh Primo reportedly getting some 1st round projections from teams. He's staying in the draft and hiring an agent.

Has what he might have even been publicly stated? It must be some kind of medical condition and not a physical thing.
Its something with a heart condition I believe... he was flagged early in his college career... so its not new. NBA probably has to do their due diligence.

Hot take... Jared Butler will be a better pro than Davion Mitchell. This assumes he is medically cleared.

Seems like Davion Mitchell will be functionally similar to Terry Rozier. The difference is that he's a better shooter and might be a bit more mentally tough. I need to watch him more, but I'm not sure I've seen much elite on-ball creation that you'd expect from a high-level point guard.

Butler should be a versatile combo-guard like a George Hill.

my hot take is that both will be pretty solid rotation/fringe starter types (maybe not a hot take?). I dont think either should be lottery prospects, but more dudes in the 18-25 range.

And to come back to a Lopo talking point, if you want Kuzma and the Lakers/Lebron really dont **** with him, you offer Favors for Kuzma.

Lakers can get out of a ****** deal a year early and they get a big man who can do a minutes split with Harrell and be effective.

I'm of course the OG Kuzma person in the history of the NBA, but the dude is overpaid. I might want compensation back for taking on that contract tbh.

And to come back to a Lopo talking point, if you want Kuzma and the Lakers/Lebron really dont **** with him, you offer Favors for Kuzma.

Lakers can get out of a ****** deal a year early and they get a big man who can do a minutes split with Harrell and be effective.

I'm of course the OG Kuzma person in the history of the NBA, but the dude is overpaid. I might want compensation back for taking on that contract tbh.
His on/off numbers are alarming... I think I might want them to keep him.

A few thoughts on a few players after watching some limited stuff:

As always, I'm a total novice. I welcome thoughts from those who are more knowledgeable than I am.

Vrenz: I'm very intrigued. His lack of any in-between game is a problem, but I like a lot of the rest. Great passer/playmaker; I like his defensive potential well enough; I think his shot will probably be adequate. Length would really help Jazz if he can turn into a rotation player

Roko: I like his attacking the basket from 15 feet in, though don't know if it will translate. Seems to have decent toughness/motor. Could end up fine on defense, though I have questions on lateral quickness/inside presence. Less sold on the outside shot. Wish he was 1 1/2 inches taller.

Ayo: Maybe can be a decent complement to Donovan. Good in the open court. I didn't see as much to excite me in the half court. Not sure he's really a playmaker, but rather someone who's just a good functional cog. Defensive potential looks solid, though I didn't see what I was hoping to see (a lock-down type) on that side of the court from what I watched.

Bones: Don't we already have the better/taller/heavier version in Clarkson?

Duarte: Was hoping to see Doug Christie 2.0. Not sure he's quite that, though he's probably serviceable. I think maybe slightly overrated.

Isaiah Todd: I think he may be underrated. Skills seem to work well with the NBA game. His relative lack of creating is more acceptable with someone who projects to play small-ball 5 (as opposed to perhaps Thor & Murphy).

Chris Smith: I might take the gamble despite the injury. Has everything needed in a wing, other than consistent motor (which is why I'll probably be wrong with my hopes for him).

Wieskamp: fine as a second-rounder if we get one somewhere. He doesn't do enough for me in terms of offensive creation or defense to really tempt me more than that.

A few thoughts on a few players after watching some limited stuff:

As always, I'm a total novice. I welcome thoughts from those who are more knowledgeable than I am.

Vrenz: I'm very intrigued. His lack of any in-between game is a problem, but I like a lot of the rest. Great passer/playmaker; I like his defensive potential well enough; I think his shot will probably be adequate. Length would really help Jazz if he can turn into a rotation player

Roko: I like his attacking the basket from 15 feet in, though don't know if it will translate. Seems to have decent toughness/motor. Could end up fine on defense, though I have questions on lateral quickness/inside presence. Less sold on the outside shot. Wish he was 1 1/2 inches taller.

Ayo: Maybe can be a decent complement to Donovan. Good in the open court. I didn't see as much to excite me in the half court. Not sure he's really a playmaker, but rather someone who's just a good functional cog. Defensive potential looks solid, though I didn't see what I was hoping to see (a lock-down type) on that side of the court from what I watched.

Bones: Don't we already have the better/taller/heavier version in Clarkson?

Duarte: Was hoping to see Doug Christie 2.0. Not sure he's quite that, though he's probably serviceable. I think maybe slightly overrated.

Isaiah Todd: I think he may be underrated. Skills seem to work well with the NBA game. His relative lack of creating is more acceptable with someone who projects to play small-ball 5 (as opposed to perhaps Thor & Murphy).

Chris Smith: I might take the gamble despite the injury. Has everything needed in a wing, other than consistent motor (which is why I'll probably be wrong with my hopes for him).

Wieskamp: fine as a second-rounder if we get one somewhere. He doesn't do enough for me in terms of offensive creation or defense to really tempt me more than that.

Would like to hear your take on David Johnson and Brandon Boston.