What's new

2021 NBA Draft Preview (new thread)

He’s my draft crush this year, as in a guy I’m irrationally high on. In previous years I’ve gone for Thybulle and Tillman (who have both worked out to some degree) and Admiral Schofield (not so much).
But really all I want this year is to go to bed on draft night with a positive feeling. I stayed up till 4am (time difference) to see us draft Grayson and Azubuike and that wasn’t great.
Just have it make sense... that's all I ask. Picking prospects is a bit of a dart throw... just pick prospects that make sense.

HH Jared Butler watch

- No green room invite.
-Jeremy Woo was talking about him and mentioned he could slip to early second round.
-Locke has barely mentioned him... but maybe this is a new era of Jazz front office that doesn't leak their draft board to Locke prior to the draft (I'm kidding... kind of).

There has only been a few guys I loved that we took in the draft since I followed it semi-closely - D Will, Trey Burke, Rudy, Donovan... I've had a few stinkers we didn't draft (Elie Okobo immediately comes to mind). Hopefully we land Butler... he can be the 5-10 minute a night backup guard and when we rest Joe/Mike he picks up his minutes. Should be a solid fit with all of those guys and maybe can be the guy we develop to help take up the minutes when Conley or Joe are gone.

-Locke has barely mentioned him... but maybe this is a new era of Jazz front office that doesn't leak their draft board to Locke prior to the draft (I'm kidding... kind of).
Well it apparently began last year. I think Tony and/or Andy was the first to bring up Udoka's name as a possibility, and that only a day or two (maybe three) before the draft, if I'm remembering right.

Jazz need to some how acquire a second round pick this draft
Double their chances of getting a good player

Who has Locke been mentioning anyways? Honestly, the draft isn't the same now that we can't rely on Locke to leak the pick beforehand. Still can't believe we didn't draft Robert Woodard last year.

Who has Locke been mentioning anyways? Honestly, the draft isn't the same now that we can't rely on Locke to leak the pick beforehand. Still can't believe we didn't draft Robert Woodard last year.
Ayo has come up a few times... spent some time on McBride... no one really strikes me as "the guy". Hyland a few times... I thought he would love Butler but he was in the middle on him and really hasn't revisited him.

In his annual mock draft he traded back for a bunch of seconds apparently so that may be his prediction this year.

Good video with some prospects that haven't been discussed a lot:

I could see the fit with any of these guys, though I'd probably prefer it if we picked them up with a second rounder rather than #30.

I'm perhaps highest on Robinson-Earl: seems to be a Juwan Morgan/Xavier Tillman type, with perhaps a bit more skill/athleticism than Morgan, maybe not quite the size and tough guy that Tillman is (though perhaps better versatility).

Grimes is someone who I haven't looked into at all -- just know his basic description sounds like a good fit and his production profile is reasonable to take a shot on.

Edwards: size and defensive chops are attractive; sounds like he can be an NBA role player if the shot translates

Ayo has come up a few times... spent some time on McBride... no one really strikes me as "the guy". Hyland a few times... I thought he would love Butler but he was in the middle on him and really hasn't revisited him.

In his annual mock draft he traded back for a bunch of seconds apparently so that may be his prediction this year.

Seems like his source is probably one of the guys who's left...though many others (TJ, Andy, Veccine IIRC) had Doke pegged just before draft time so I expect we'll get a leak again. It's funny how loose lipped our FO is when we used to be notorious for being so quiet.

Seems like his source is probably one of the guys who's left...though many others (TJ, Andy, Veccine IIRC) had Doke pegged just before draft time so I expect we'll get a leak again. It's funny how loose lipped our FO is when we used to be notorious for being so quiet.
Wonder if it was Friedman... I mean he was talking to my *** at summer league unsolicited so he must like to talk. He'd also been around a long time so would have spanned across all of the KOC and DL tenure and likely had relationships with Locke and others that have been here a while.

Ayo is near the top of my "do not draft" list along with JRE
I really don't have one this year... there is no way they take another center... Ayayi is the guy I am most meh on. If we moved back into the second round and took him then whatevs... my evaluation would be more about what we ended up getting.

Why are they on your **** list.

There is a cap management planning case to be made for staying at #30 to make the pick. I think you can only offer a two year deal to second round guys unless you use an MLE to sign them to a longer deal. While a guaranteed contract isn't always ideal it is super small at #30 and you'd had to hit on a pick and then lose two years of cheap production. Just buy a late second and only move off of #30 if the deal is awesome or if there isn't a guy you love that falls.

There is a cap management planning case to be made for staying at #30 to make the pick. I think you can only offer a two year deal to second round guys unless you use an MLE to sign them to a longer deal. While a guaranteed contract isn't always ideal it is super small at #30 and you'd had to hit on a pick and then lose two years of cheap production. Just buy a late second and only move off of #30 if the deal is awesome or if there isn't a guy you love that falls.
Yep. A good get at #30 is about the best possible financial situation you can find.