What's new

2021 NBA Draft Preview (new thread)

The only one I know off the top of my head is Jimmy Butler, for whom I was kind of obsessed with that draft.
Not bad really. A couple of names stick out before the last few years.

Number 30

Year Player School/Country – Team

2019 Kevin Porter Jr., USC – Milwaukee Bucks
2018 Omari Spellman, Villanova –
2017 Josh Hart, Villanova – Utah Jazz
2016 Damian Jones, Vanderbilt – Golden State Warriors
2015 Kevon Looney, UCLA – Golden State Warriors
2014 Kyle Anderson, UCLA – San Antonia Spurs
2013 Nemanja Nedovic, Serbia – Phoenix Suns
2012 Festus Ezeli, Vanderbilt – Golden State Warriors
2011 Jimmy Butler, Marquette University – Chicago Bulls
2010 Lazar Hayward, Marquette University – Washington Wizards

2000’s

2009 Christian Eyenga, Congo – Cleveland Cavaliers
2008 J.R Giddens, New Mexico – Boston Celtics
2007 Petteri Koponen, Finland – Philadelphia 76ers
2006 Joel Freeland, United Kingdom – Portland Trail Blazers
2005 David Lee, Florida – New York Knicks

2nd Round:
2004 Anderson Varejao, Brazil – Orlando Magic

2003 Maciej Lampe, Poland – New York Knicks
2002 Steve Logan, University of Cincinnati – Golden State Warriors
2001 Gilbert Arenas, University of Arizona – Golden State Warriors
2000 Marko Jaric, Serbia – L.A. Clippers

1990’s

1999 John Celestand, Villanova University – L.A. Lakers
1998 Ansu Sesay, University of Mississippi – Dallas Mavericks
1997 Mark Sanford, University of Washington – Miami HEAT
1996 Othella Harrington, Georgetown University – Houston Rockets
1995 Lou Roe, University of Massachusetts Amherst – Detroit Pistons
1994 Howard Eisley, Boston College – Minnesota Timberwolves

Jaden Springer is the draft nerd darling this year. I see it. He has great numerical indicators. Unfortunately he won't make it to #30 either.

I wonder what other center we could have gotten with #33.
theoretically you could have turned 23 into 27, 33, and 38. You could have also just taken Bane, McDaniels, or Tillman (since he was more ready to contribute you do something else with the MLE) at #27.

I care less that we didn't extract the value from the picks and more about the fact we targeted Udoka. Then targeted Favs in FA... just some dumb ****.

In any case, Udoka could've been picked at #38. I probably still wouldn't have, but that would've been fine.

I was watching the draft with a friend, and his eyes were pretty wide and fixed on me after the pick came in cuz I immediately launched into how absolutely ****ing terrible it was for like 15 minutes without a break. It was extreme and probably really ****ing funny.

In any case, Udoka could've been picked at #38. I probably still wouldn't have, but that would've been fine.

I was watching the draft with a friend, and his eyes were pretty wide and fixed on me when the pick came in cuz I went on about how ****ing terrible it was for like 15 minutes without a break.
I think this is definitely the case. Part of me just wants a favs trade so we can see if the kid is any good at all.

Okay, now that I'm depressed about Roko withdrawing, here are some guys I could picture the Jazz drafting in the late 1st or early-mid 2nd round:

Deuce McBride -- He'd be our Gary Harris, 3D guard. Not as athletic as Harris, but he'd be like when Harris could actually shoot.
Josh Christopher -- Great kid, whose ability might have been masked a bit by the chaos at ASU last season. Talent level could be near Kevin Porter Jr.
Joe Wisekamp -- He looks like Duncan Robinson and plays a bit like Kevin Huerter. Bench player, but seems like a fit to me.
Ayo Dosunmu -- Maybe that Best Buy rumor was true and there's a Chicago connection with Wade. He's somewhere between Shake Milton and Jrue Holiday, closer to Shake.
Vrenz Bleijenberg -- Okay, I added this because I like him. Wonder if the Jazz would draft him to be Joe Ingles' understudy.
Jared Butler -- George Hill-type. Just steady, both on and off the ball. The Lindsey connection to Baylor would make this a no-brainer if DL were calling the shots.
Isaiah Todd -- Poor man's MPJ who showed a few flashes of Harry Giles-like self-creation in high school. He turned down a workout with the Jazz, but might still be in play.
JT Thor -- Jazz should go and get this guy, but I'm not sure they have the huevos to do it.
David Johnson -- a 6'5" PG with a 6'10" wingspan;. has more lead-guard ability than he showed since he shared the ball with Carlik Jones.
Trendon Watford (late 2nd) -- Replaces Georges Niang.
Moses Wright (late 2nd) -- Kabengele-like, somewhat stretchy 5. Can't quite tell how playable he is.

Last edited:
In terms of sheer talent level, Josh Christopher is starting to stand out for me as a candidate who might be there at #30. He might be the best 2-guard to come out of ASU since James Harden. He is only slightly smaller than Harden, and he has that level of athleticism. He didn't have near the same impact in terms of win-shares, but Christopher's basic stats compare pretty well to Harden's overall. Christopher is definitely a 1st-round talent, and he'll be one of the main reasons teams will call the Jazz looking for the #30 pick, if he's still on the board.

Christopher and Dosunmu worked out against each other for the Wizards, which is a bit weird considering the Wiz have the #15 pick. Maybe the Wizards have a deal on the table to trade down on draft day.

Last edited:
In terms of sheer talent level, Josh Christopher is starting to stand out for me as a candidate who might be there at #30. He might be the best 2-guard to come out of ASU since James Harden. He is only slightly smaller than Harden, and he has that level of athleticism. He didn't have near the same impact in terms of win-shares, but Christopher's basic stats compare pretty well to Harden's overall. Christopher is definitely a 1st-round talent, and he'll be one of the main reasons teams will call the Jazz looking for the #30 pick, if he's still on the board.

Christopher and Dosunmu worked out against each other for the Wizards, which is a bit weird considering the Wiz have the #15 pick. Maybe the Wizards have a deal on the table to trade down on draft day.

Come join the JayGup bandwagon

Ay did I not used to make posts advocating the Jazz select Giannis? saying those are the types of gambles the franchise should b taking?

It's also basically impossible to predict the leap Giannis made.

I mean, a guy like Kai Jones has every physical tool Giannis has, but does anyone actually think he can be Giannis?
Giannis also came in as one of the youngest dudes playing PG at 6' 9". Like, the upside was obvious. Sure, no one foresaw him reaching the heights he has, but the comp here is more Poku or something.