What's new

2021 NBA Draft Preview (new thread)

I wish that were true man.

Many posters watch these discussions from afar afraid to chime because they think they'll get attacked if they do. I'm not putting that all on you though.

We just need more positivity in here.
No one is scared to engage with me.

Floor is Royce?

You have got to be kidding me.
I think so. Primo is going to defend, hustle and provide an outside shot. He'll play within a system and be an asset. That's what Royce is. He puts his head down and works. On offense, he waits for open shots. I think that will be Primo at the very least.

I think so. Primo is going to defend, hustle and provide an outside shot. He'll play within a system and be an asset. That's what Royce is. He puts his head down and works. On offense, he waits for open shots. I think that will be Primo at the very least.
They arent comparable at all. Primo's floor can't be a player who he plays nothing like and has no potential to do the core things that makes Royce the player he is.

They arent comparable at all. Primo's floor can't be a player who he plays nothing like and has no potential to do the core things that makes Royce the player he is.
Primo is respected as more of a shooter, but please do read once again my Ringer breakdown I posted earlier:

• Good shooter off the catch with a high release and deep range. He also has the ability to hit shots on the move using handoffs and screens.
  • Shooting threat off the bounce using one or two dribbles to create room for his jump shot.
  • Intelligent offensive player with a feel for when to cut and how to relocate off the ball.
  • Active on-ball defender with great fundamentals and length who defends with his feet and not his arms, sliding laterally to mirror opponents and rarely committing careless fouls.
  • Hard-nosed player who fights at every opportunity, whether it be after a switch against a bigger player or in an off-ball situation when he must help in the paint then hustle back to his man.
Those last 2 bullet points are Royce O'Neale. That's where I see Primo ending up defensively. Now if he provides even more offensively, awesome.

Primo is respected as more of a shooter, but please do read once again my Ringer breakdown I posted earlier:

• Good shooter off the catch with a high release and deep range. He also has the ability to hit shots on the move using handoffs and screens.
  • Shooting threat off the bounce using one or two dribbles to create room for his jump shot.
  • Intelligent offensive player with a feel for when to cut and how to relocate off the ball.
  • Active on-ball defender with great fundamentals and length who defends with his feet and not his arms, sliding laterally to mirror opponents and rarely committing careless fouls.
  • Hard-nosed player who fights at every opportunity, whether it be after a switch against a bigger player or in an off-ball situation when he must help in the paint then hustle back to his man.
Those last 2 bullet points are Royce O'Neale. That's where I see Primo ending up defensively. Now if he provides even more offensively, awesome.
So he plays some defense and he's automatically a Royce comp?

And to reference the Ringer writeup, the comps they use are Caris Levert and Afernee Simons. Those guys are nothing like Royce.

So he plays some defense and he's automatically a Royce comp?

And to reference the Ringer writeup, the comps they use are Caris Levert and Afernee Simons. Those guys are nothing like Royce.
I think they are concentrating on the offensive potential which is where many of the analysis guys go. "What can this guy be on offense".

I watched Primo play this season at Alabama. He played off the ball because Jones, Petty, Shackleford and company did the primary ball handling. Primo did a lot of spot up shooting. He deferred a lot. He played unselfish basketball and got in where he could.

On the defensive end, he did exactly what Royce does. He defended pretty much any of the positions 1-4. He was a very active defender who moved his feet, helped where he could, and busted his butt.

I have said from the beginning that I think Primo will be a very good player. If he projects to be as good as Royce on defense while being more dangerous on offense, he'll be a very valuable NBA player.

It's funny to me that Vecenie went to the trouble of getting the name of every parent for each prospect.

Like I get it if the parent is notable (like a former college/pro athlete), but if your dad is just some dude name Bill do we really need to know that?

I enjoy the background stuff on the players, but yeah the parents name stuff is kinda pointless lol. I had no idea Josh Christopher’s brother was Patrick Christopher! ‘Member him? He played for the Jazz in 2014-15

Locke spent a lot of time talking about Preston today... just an FYI... My Locke draft prospect radar is up... would be a trade back I think but my radar has been activated.

Locke spent a lot of time talking about Preston today... just an FYI... My Locke draft prospect radar is up... would be a trade back I think but my radar has been activated.
Locke can sometimes be a bit of a hack, but I have no doubt that he's got a pretty good inside track on guys the FO likes. He won't spoil picks, but I would definitely pay attention to guys he talks about in his podcasts.

Well, he’s got a cool story. And he’d definitely post here after he’s drafted lol. He is a J A Z Z D N A guy

Locke can sometimes be a bit of a hack, but I have no doubt that he's got a pretty good inside track on guys the FO likes. He won't spoil picks, but I would definitely pay attention to guys he talks about in his podcasts.
Oh he spoils picks... Someone noted he wasn't on top of it last year... so maybe he's off.

Well, he’s got a cool story. And he’d definitely post here after he’s drafted lol. He is a J A Z Z D N A guy
There are guys I like more but he has a decent case and makes sense. Just make sense... that's all I ask because the draft is pretty hard.

Ewww.

Preston has mid-major bust written all over him, IMO.
If you go in the second round I am not sure you can be labeled as a bust... but yeah I get the concerns... there might also be some inefficiency in his market because he was at a mid-major. I like McBride, Thor, Christopher, Primo, and a bunch of others more if we stay at 30... if we drop back to the 40s he might be the best gamble left.

According to the Ringer, this is what Josh Primo is:

PLUSES

So he plays hard, has a good feel for the game, hits 3's, plays good defense. His floor is a player like Royce, but I think he will be much better though. A great fit for our needs and long term with Don.

I think Primo is more or less the Anfernee Simons of this draft, the difference being that Primo plays some defense.

Jazz have to be looking at Ayo, Christopher, Thor, Todd and Butler for #30. I'd like to think they're also looking at Vrenz. No way Preston is close to that range. That has to be a trade-back scenario. Even then, I wouldn't look at Preston. Jazz need size, toughness and defense.

Jazz have to be looking at Ayo, Christopher, Thor, Todd and Butler for #30. I'd like to think they're also looking at Vrenz. No way Preston is close to that range. That has to be a trade-back scenario. Even then, I wouldn't look at Preston. Jazz need size, toughness and defense.
I would have thought the same thing with Udoka last year… big time reach in the first and not at all what we need. It isn’t about what we need right now… it’s best available player but you also consider positional need and roster needs a year from now or long term. Very few rookies fill a need on a playoff team. We dealt we get one that can play 10
Minutes a night and survive and develop. Then in a year they are a full blown rotation player. The only guy I feel can play 15 minutes a night and be really effective that is in our general range is Butler. He may not be possible. Vice or has him mocked at 18. I’ve not seen anyone that mocks him after like 28. I wish we could trade up a few spots and nab him but our meager assets likely don’t allow that to happen.