What's new

2021 NBA Draft Preview (new thread)

Seems like a lot of analyst are zeroing on Grimes for us. It makes sense because Grimes has basically been the only Utah Jazz draft news story from any of the big Utah sources.
Is JZ the one that telegraphs our picks every year?

It's going to be a gas when we spend all of Thursday viewing the draft, watching the picks trickle down until we pick someone who we either like or shrug off just to find out within a few short minutes afterwards via Twitter that the pick is being conveyed to another team as part of a Faves salary dump.

I've ordered a replacement remote from Xfinity just in case.

I mean, I think every year we have an idea of a pool of players for every team at every pick. There can still be huge surprises (like the Udoka pick or someone unexpectedly falling/trades that throw off mocks), but largely we always have a general idea by the time the draft day comes around.

Like for 30, it seems largely like it's a combo guard draft. Donsumu, Grimes, Springer, and McBride seem to be the most common Jazz names with the occasional Isaiah Todd/JT Thor upside athlete play here and there.

How many final day mock drafts have actually correctly predicted the Jazz's pick?

Last edited:
Pels still have 3 2RPs after their trade with Memphis. A couple of those are likely to move.

I still think it's likely that the Jazz move off the #30 pick. I think there are going to be teams that want that pick more than the Jazz do. Their targets would be Grimes, Christopher, Dosunmu, and possibly Shariffe Cooper (who reportedly is slipping).

If the Jazz were to draft a player like Grimes, it wouldn't surprise me if the Jazz moved Oni's contract for a 2RP.

Last edited:
I mean, I think every year we have an idea of a pool of players for every team at every pick. There can still be huge surprises (like the Udoka pick or someone unexpectedly falling/trades that throw off mocks), but largely we always have a general idea by the time the draft day comes around.

Like for 30, it seems largely like it's a combo guard draft. Donsumu, Grimes, Springer, and McBride seem to be the most common Jazz names with the occasional Isaiah Todd/JT Thor upside athlete play here and there.

How many final day mock drafts have actually correctly predicted the Jazz's pick?
We've zeroed in on guys in the past pretty early... Burks, TB, there may be some others... its why we have Locke watch... of course things can change but its not lmfao worthy... maybe lmao... but it was tongue in cheek.

We've zeroed in on guys in the past pretty early... Burks, TB, there may be some others... its why we have Locke watch... of course things can change but its not lmfao worthy... maybe lmao... but it was tongue in cheek.
I was just about to say what is Locke saying- he has pretty well telegraphed a number of jazz pics in the last few years. Is Locke saying nobody is that interesting? Because that might mean a trade.

I was just about to say what is Locke saying- he has pretty well telegraphed a number of jazz pics in the last few years. Is Locke saying nobody is that interesting? Because that might mean a trade.
He hasnt though. Every year he talks about multiple guys (though not this year, but I think that's largely due to covid changing everyone's schedules up and him simply not having the time). After the draft we hindsight someone he talked about and act like he telegraphed it.

I just think the Jazz are going to figure out who they want in the draft and then make moves to go get them, whether that's 1st or 2nd round. I doubt they're just going to sit passively at #30 and let other teams hand them their leftovers. The Jazz have moved in the draft 3 of the last 4 years.

He hasnt though. Every year he talks about multiple guys (though not this year, but I think that's largely due to covid changing everyone's schedules up and him simply not having the time). After the draft we hindsight someone he talked about and act like he telegraphed it.

Locke has also made comments on the radio about how he's not allowed to talk about prospects this year. Everything is quieter this year. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Locke has also made comments on the radio about how he's not allowed to talk about prospects this year. Everything is quieter this year. I wouldn't read too much into it.
Interesting. Maybe new ownership is more concerned about keeping everything tight lipped. I do think it's a smokescreen that the only publicized workout involved Grimes. Like why keep every workout top secret then make the Grimes one the one you let media talk about? I'm sure it's partly to appease media members, but it's also got to be some sort of smokescreen.

Bleacher Report: "The Jazz continue to hold discussions on Joe Ingles and Bojan Bogdanovic, while Royce O'Neale, due to his lower cap figure and strong two-way success this season, is not expected to be included in any outgoing Utah package. The Jazz remain engaged in talks on trading the No. 30 pick to send Derrick Favors' salary elsewhere, sources said."

Interesting. Maybe new ownership is more concerned about keeping everything tight lipped. I do think it's a smokescreen that the only publicized workout involved Grimes. Like why keep every workout top secret then make the Grimes one the one you let media talk about? I'm sure it's partly to appease media members, but it's also got to be some sort of smokescreen.
Why though? We’ve never telegraphed anything ever. lolz and lmfao

Sam Vecenie has us taking Dosunmu in his final mock. He must be on the rise, since Vecenie said he thinks pick #30 is his floor.

If Grimes is the pick, good chance the Jazz would trade out of the #30 cuz he's likely to still be there in the second round