What's new

2021 NBA Draft Preview (new thread)

If Grimes is the pick, good chance the Jazz would trade out of the #30 cuz he's likely to still be there in the second round
I can see him in the 25-35 range but doubt he falls a lot further.

Who are some good draft and stash prospects you would consider?

I kind of find Ariel Hukporti a bit intriguing. Dude is a few years away from contributing but seems like he's got a lot of room to grow.

I can see him in the 25-35 range but doubt he falls a lot further.
Yes, but I think the thoughts are the Jazz view him as one of their "safety targets" if they do trade down into the second round as he's the one more likely to fall compared to guys like Primo, Ayo, Butler, Christopher etc.

Yes, but I think the thoughts are the Jazz view him as one of their "safety targets" if they do trade down into the second round as he's the one more likely to fall compared to guys like Primo, Ayo, Butler, Christopher etc.
I think Ayayi is in the "safe bet he will be there" type of target... Grimes I can see going before 30 or shortly thereafter.

Zach Harper in The Athletic said that Dosunmu’s stock is rising a lot. May go to Atlanta at 20 and hearing that he won’t fall past the Lakers at 22.

Also said Jason Preston is getting first round buzz, and to keep an eye on the Clippers at 25.

Here is Harper’s section on the Jazz

Utah would love to move on from Derrick Favors and the nearly $20 million owed to him over the next two seasons. Initially, people believed the Jazz were just trying to move up in the draft to grab one of these top 3-and-D wings. They may still do that, but in order to move Favors, they might have to attach the 30th pick to him. It doesn’t seem like they could get rid of his contract and move up in the draft at the same time.

and

Jazz: Part of the Derrick Favors trade exploration by the Jazz is trying to clear as much money as possible in order to re-sign Mike Conley. The Jazz have Conley’s Bird rights, so having money available isn’t necessarily an issue from a cap situation. However, the Jazz have so much money committed to this team already, new team governor Ryan Smith will probably want to lessen some of that bill. Joe Ingles and Bojan Bogdanovic are also trade possibilities, but that wouldn’t be about clearing money for re-signing Conley. That would be more about upgrading the forward or wing positions.

Here is Harper’s section on the Jazz

Utah would love to move on from Derrick Favors and the nearly $20 million owed to him over the next two seasons. Initially, people believed the Jazz were just trying to move up in the draft to grab one of these top 3-and-D wings. They may still do that, but in order to move Favors, they might have to attach the 30th pick to him. It doesn’t seem like they could get rid of his contract and move up in the draft at the same time.

and

Jazz: Part of the Derrick Favors trade exploration by the Jazz is trying to clear as much money as possible in order to re-sign Mike Conley. The Jazz have Conley’s Bird rights, so having money available isn’t necessarily an issue from a cap situation. However, the Jazz have so much money committed to this team already, new team governor Ryan Smith will probably want to lessen some of that bill. Joe Ingles and Bojan Bogdanovic are also trade possibilities, but that wouldn’t be about clearing money for re-signing Conley. That would be more about upgrading the forward or wing positions.
It’s kind of tough to upgrade your forwards and wings by trading your forwards and wings. I’ll give you two 5s for a 10 type of deal?

It’s kind of tough to upgrade your forwards and wings by trading your forwards and wings. I’ll give you two 5s for a 10 type of deal?
There's a bit of redundancy between Ingles and Bogey when they're on the floor together. We could stand to move one of them to get younger and more athletic.

Last edited:
Jalen Johnson comes off as a bit of a prick, but he has a lot of upside as someone who can play like Ben Simmons, but actually score the ball some of the time. If he drops, he'd be a reasonable pick up.

Garuba is the one guy I see outside the lottery who could fundamentally change who the Jazz are as a team for the better. His defense, rebounding and toughness are bankable, and he moves the ball at a high level. The fact that we relied heavily on Royce for size, rebounds and athleticism shows where we are falling short. Garuba just needs to hit the corner 3 a la PJ Tucker.

Last edited:
Im listening to the Lowe/DraftExpress podcast and the bit they did on Giddey was pretty crazy. Said they watched him practice with Aussie team and that he was the best passer on the floor, and Schmidtz said it wasnt close with respect to Ingles and that he looked good vs Thybulle.

Pretty high praise.

Supposedly Franz Wagner has a "soft promise" from the Kings and the Grizzlies are trying to move past them to get Wagner. Seems like Franz could go 7.

Livers part of my "Royce Type" value picks in the 2nd round along with Aaron Henry. Basically 6'6-ish guys with long arms and strong bodies who are versatile and arent in every mock draft.

Livers part of my "Royce Type" value picks in the 2nd round along with Aaron Henry. Basically 6'6-ish guys with long arms and strong bodies who are versatile and arent in every mock draft.

Tony mentioned him specifically in his last mailbags for guys the Jazz are interested in at 30 too.

New Ringer mock draft wtf

30. Day’Ron Sharpe
UTAH JAZZ
On Sunday, ESPN reported “the Jazz reportedly have some luxury tax concerns” and may look to move a veteran like Joe Ingles for a pick. The Action Network’s Matt Moore said the Jazz are “eager” to move Derrick Favors and would attach this pick to do so. League sources have told me the same. If Utah elects to retain this selection, or add another, Sharpe is a perfect target. He’s a tough big who could back up Rudy Gobert and provide some small-ball 5 potential with his versatility.

At this point I'm pretty confident this is my preference, in order, if we stay at #30: (subject to change 26 times between now and Thursday)

1-JT Thor homer till the end
2-Dosunmu (likely doesnt last till 30)
3-Isaiah Todd (He's my Jaden McDaniels this year)
4-Miles McBride (hate even being here because of lack of size but the kid has "it")
5-Grimes (prob the safest pick, high floor, low ceiling though)

Honorable mention: Greg Brown (see Todd)

30. Day’Ron Sharpe
UTAH JAZZ
On Sunday, ESPN reported “the Jazz reportedly have some luxury tax concerns” and may look to move a veteran like Joe Ingles for a pick. The Action Network’s Matt Moore said the Jazz are “eager” to move Derrick Favors and would attach this pick to do so. League sources have told me the same. If Utah elects to retain this selection, or add another, Sharpe is a perfect target. He’s a tough big who could back up Rudy Gobert and provide some small-ball 5 potential with his versatility.
Lmao I QT'd that and questioned if KOC knew who the Jazz drafted last year and he responded to it by saying that I didnt read that Sharpe would be to help against small ball lmfao.

I’m not sure what you’re saying here, but yeah, a wing for a wing makes sense if the idea is to “upgrade” or at least get a different skillset in one of those spots, because you need the playing time of the outgoing player to give to the new player.

Lmao I QT'd that and questioned if KOC knew who the Jazz drafted last year and he responded to it by saying that I didnt read that Sharpe would be to help against small ball lmfao.
Smh I feel like even if I disagree with KOC’s assessment, his due diligence is usually pretty good. Maybe the Ringer stretched him out too thin covering too many subjects. I was shocked to see that pick and his reasoning.

30. Day’Ron Sharpe
UTAH JAZZ
What an absolute nightmare. If we didn't have a track record doing stupid **** like this, I would say that they were being stupid.