What's new

2023 annual Jazzfanz all time NBA draft

I’m still interested in moving up - 141 & 148 for a higher 9th round pick and your last pick coming back PM me if interested. Thanks.

I think the sim determines seeding, and then we vote on the forum to figure out who wins. Last year, I think the sim used random matchups, but I think that we should use our draft position instead of just a random draw for the sim.

“West”
1 vs 16 (sip vs. Jazz and Utes)
8 vs 9 (Rubashov vs. Fosto)

4 vs 13 (Coach Ellis vs. Eliza Huge)
5 vs 12 (Domino vs. gandalfe)

“East”
2 vs 15 (Numberica vs. The Fresh Prince)
7 vs 10 (Bawse Dawg vs. David Hume)

3 vs 14 (ONE LOVE vs. YoungJefe)
6 vs 11 (Thee Idiotic Minivan K vs. Keefe)
So this should’ve been figured out at the top, but in lieu of that we should lock this down right now.

One of the recurring issues of these competitions is that without some kind of merit-based seeding, the championship round is a total dud and the best matchup is a round or two earlier. Whatever it takes to get the two “best” teams to the final is what I support, and some notion of merit-based seeding would be required for that.

This is what I propose (which we almost did last year but didn’t): use the sim to create seeding. In the matchups (“playoffs”) we still do board voting (this is important because we want to have board participation but also I just don’t think the sim is going to do as good a job on calculating fit, strategy, rotations, etc.). However, if a team fails to capture 60% of the vote, then the contest goes to a “game 7” where the higher seed has homecourt in a one-game simulation.

What could be fun is in that game 7, we could have a recap and box score of the game just to add a little more fun.

I think between the two systems, each of their weaknesses are mitigated and their strengths preserved.

Thoughts? @Thee Idiotic Minivan K @The Fresh Prince @Keefe @sip @Coach Ellis @Jazz and Utes @Domino @Fosto @Elizah Huge @ONE LOVE @Rubashov @YoungJefe @gandalfe @Bawse Dawg @David Hume

So this should’ve been figured out at the top, but in lieu of that we should lock this down right now.

One of the recurring issues of these competitions is that without some kind of merit-based seeding, the championship round is a total dud and the best matchup is a round or two earlier. Whatever it takes to get the two “best” teams to the final is what I support, and some notion of merit-based seeding would be required for that.

This is what I propose (which we almost did last year but didn’t): use the sim to create seeding. In the matchups (“playoffs”) we still do board voting (this is important because we want to have board participation but also I just don’t think the sim is going to do as good a job on calculating fit, strategy, rotations, etc.). However, if a team fails to capture 60% of the vote, then the contest goes to a “game 7” where the higher seed has homecourt in a one-game simulation.

What could be fun is in that game 7, we could have a recap and box score of the game just to add a little more fun.

I think between the two systems, each of their weaknesses are mitigated and their strengths preserved.

Thoughts? @Thee Idiotic Minivan K @The Fresh Prince @Keefe @sip @Coach Ellis @Jazz and Utes @Domino @Fosto @Elizah Huge
This is a fantastic idea. Really hate it when 1 vote pushes a team to a win. A Game 7 sim would solve that plus it would be fun analysing the game 7 results.

I’m all for this idea.

This is a fantastic idea. Really hate it when 1 vote pushes a team to a win. A Game 7 sim would solve that plus it would be fun analysing the game 7 results.

I’m all for this idea.
It also puts a buffer against mysterious users being that one or two votes.

It also creates a buffer between irrational Jazz fan hate (towards Harden, PG, Iverson, whatever) and reality. There are absolutely wrong calls made just because fans make straight up emotionally-led decisions.

Conversely, stat-stuffers are a way to game sims. So, try to balance them out. We could tinker and make the threshold 65% of votes but I think 60% is better.

Last edited:

Thoughts? @Thee Idiotic Minivan K @The Fresh Prince @Keefe @sip @Coach Ellis @Jazz and Utes @Domino @Fosto @Elizah Huge @ONE LOVE @Rubashov @YoungJefe

I think it's a given that the winners will be determined by voting, and not by sims. Also, if a team captures more than 50% of the vote, why would anything change in a game 7? Wouldn't the team with more votes still get more votes in a game 7? It's the same people voting on the same matchup. Unless I misunderstood what you meant.

I liked what I did last year and had the seeding determined by consensus rankings from the participants in the competition.

I think it's a given that the winners will be determined by voting, and not by sims. Also, if a team captures more than 50% of the vote, why would anything change in a game 7? Wouldn't the team with more votes still get more votes in a game 7? It's the same people voting on the same matchup. Unless I misunderstood what you meant.
The game 7 is determined by sim.

I liked what I did last year and had the seeding determined by consensus rankings from the participants in the competition.
That’s fine too (probably better with enough voters) it’s just another hurdle/ask of people. The issue of tiebreakers gets messy and if we have 10-20 people voting there will be a lot of them. The seeding question in terms of voting is usually just complicated and messy.