What's new

2023 annual Jazzfanz all time NBA draft

So this should’ve been figured out at the top, but in lieu of that we should lock this down right now.

One of the recurring issues of these competitions is that without some kind of merit-based seeding, the championship round is a total dud and the best matchup is a round or two earlier. Whatever it takes to get the two “best” teams to the final is what I support, and some notion of merit-based seeding would be required for that.

This is what I propose (which we almost did last year but didn’t): use the sim to create seeding. In the matchups (“playoffs”) we still do board voting (this is important because we want to have board participation but also I just don’t think the sim is going to do as good a job on calculating fit, strategy, rotations, etc.). However, if a team fails to capture 60% of the vote, then the contest goes to a “game 7” where the higher seed has homecourt in a one-game simulation.

What could be fun is in that game 7, we could have a recap and box score of the game just to add a little more fun.

I think between the two systems, each of their weaknesses are mitigated and their strengths preserved.

Thoughts? @Thee Idiotic Minivan K @The Fresh Prince @Keefe @sip @Coach Ellis @Jazz and Utes @Domino @Fosto @Elizah Huge @ONE LOVE @Rubashov @YoungJefe @gandalfe @Bawse Dawg @David Hume

Great idea. Do this.

If. TFP is willing to clip the game sevens and send it to me I’d be willing to clip and edit together the highlights from the sim

I don’t think I’m going out on a limb when I say @Domino doesn’t have a whole lot socially going on right now in his life.

It would suck if someone wins majority vote, but then loses a sim. But I don't care that much, and I'll go with whatever the others decide.
That’s why it’s 60% (and not higher). Definitely want the rounds determined by votes principally but again, there is basically always ****ery in these competitions that bend it (the aforementioned shady votes, those that just have an axe to grind about certain players, and/or the “popularity contest” aspect).

In this framework I think there is room tinker with the threshold for victory vs runoff/game 7s. But I think 60% is good and simple enough.

There isn’t a perfect system.

So this should’ve been figured out at the top, but in lieu of that we should lock this down right now.

One of the recurring issues of these competitions is that without some kind of merit-based seeding, the championship round is a total dud and the best matchup is a round or two earlier. Whatever it takes to get the two “best” teams to the final is what I support, and some notion of merit-based seeding would be required for that.

This is what I propose (which we almost did last year but didn’t): use the sim to create seeding. In the matchups (“playoffs”) we still do board voting (this is important because we want to have board participation but also I just don’t think the sim is going to do as good a job on calculating fit, strategy, rotations, etc.). However, if a team fails to capture 60% of the vote, then the contest goes to a “game 7” where the higher seed has homecourt in a one-game simulation.

What could be fun is in that game 7, we could have a recap and box score of the game just to add a little more fun.

I think between the two systems, each of their weaknesses are mitigated and their strengths preserved.

Thoughts? @Thee Idiotic Minivan K @The Fresh Prince @Keefe @sip @Coach Ellis @Jazz and Utes @Domino @Fosto @Elizah Huge @ONE LOVE @Rubashov @YoungJefe @gandalfe @Bawse Dawg @David Hume

I’m always down for trying something new. I’d like to try this. I’m more in this for the drafting segment than anything else anyways.

I'm way more interested in the sim than the vote.

The sim is cool and all but he needs to sim the same season like 10 times to get a solid result. One random season on 2K is just that random.

It would suck if someone wins majority vote, but then loses a sim. But I don't care that much, and I'll go with whatever the others decide.
In the past how often is the sim champion different than the vote champion?