What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

Are there any wings in this draft that project to be high level play makers?

If our future starting lineup is Sexton, Ochai, Lauri, Kessler (or whoever), then I think you need to find a wing who can play make.

Obviously you build a team around your star, so nothing is set in stone, but there is a potential team there ready to go if everything falls in to place.

If our future starting lineup is Sexton, Ochai, Lauri, Kessler (or whoever), then I think you need to find a wing who can play make.

Obviously you build a team around your star, so nothing is set in stone, but there is a potential team there ready to go if everything falls in to place.
We need a guard better than Sexton more than anything. Fontecchio going to hold the 3 down.

So far, Amen Thompson and Anthony Black are 6'6" and 6'7" playmakers. Also, Jordan Walsh is in that category too, but not sure at what level. Later in the first round, Harrison Ingram might be worth a look.

I wouldn't bet on Sexton and Agbaji being the backcourt of the future. Best case scenario, they'd probably look like Kemba Walker and Courtney Lee.

So far, Amen Thompson and Anthony Black are 6'6" and 6'7" playmakers. Also, Jordan Walsh is in that category too, but not sure at what level. Later in the first round, Harrison Ingram might be worth a look.

I wouldn't bet on Sexton and Agbaji being the backcourt of the future. Best case scenario, they'd probably look like Kemba Walker and Courtney Lee.

I'm not sold, just thinking through different scenarios, thanks.

As the rebuild progresses, the Jazz would do well to either have Sexton become a perennial 6MOY candidate, or trade him at peak value. His contract makes either scenario a reasonable possibility.

I really like Anthony Black if the Jazz are specifically looking for a playmaker. At 18 he's already 6'-7" and projected to be a playmaking guard at the next level. He's a lead guard that can also play off the ball as a wing. He probably needs to get a little better as a scorer this season at Arkansas but he's kind of the perfect archetype for today's NBA game. I will be watching to see if he starts making 3's at an efficient level in college this season. He's already a very good defender who can defend 3 positions and block shots too. He has a little bit of Lonzo Ball, Ben Simmons in his game without all their baggage.

Amen Thompson > Scoot imo
Agreed I would try to avoid taking a 6'-2" guard high in the lottery unless he's a can't miss Ja Morant type. Right now the comparison seems to be Westbrook. He's playing in the G League this coming season so there will be plenty of opportunity to dissect his game.

Agreed I would try to avoid taking a 6'-2" guard high in the lottery unless he's a can't miss Ja Morant type. Right now the comparison seems to be Westbrook. He's playing in the G League this coming season so there will be plenty of opportunity to dissect his game.
I would say Thompson is probably the more Russ like player

As the rebuild progresses, the Jazz would do well to either have Sexton become a perennial 6MOY candidate, or trade him at peak value. His contract makes either scenario a reasonable possibility.

He really should be a 6th man, I don't think he can be a positive player as a number one option but it's fine for his trade value. He could average 25 PPG if he gets the minutes, even if it's in a losing manner. It's crazy because he just signed a new contract, but I think our best hopes for him are to be traded down the line. He has 4 years left, but 4 years would be a quick rebuild. Good thing is that he's being paid like a 6th man would. We should run him at PG and hope he develops his playmaking. If he develops that he could be seen more like Fox instead of a Lavert type prospect.

More Wemby footage, you see the good and the bad. Defensively he is so special, he moves so well....and not just for a guy his size. He moves well for any big. Offensively, you see the talent and also the barrage of mid rangers. He hit his 3's, which is a good sign. He's never shot over 30% from so it will be a big development for him if he can hit those deep pick and pop shots.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cts7VJBw0Iw

Cause and effect presupposes a constant conjunction of events. Lo! I believe our Jazz must tank for two years. We shall acquire a Scoot/Victor/Ausar level talent in 2023. 2024: Thy tank must be deliberate, effective, and unwavering. All of my analysis (is/ought, causality, empiricism, miracles) points to this.

He really should be a 6th man, I don't think he can be a positive player as a number one option but it's fine for his trade value. He could average 25 PPG if he gets the minutes, even if it's in a losing manner. It's crazy because he just signed a new contract, but I think our best hopes for him are to be traded down the line. He has 4 years left, but 4 years would be a quick rebuild. Good thing is that he's being paid like a 6th man would. We should run him at PG and hope he develops his playmaking. If he develops that he could be seen more like Fox instead of a Lavert type prospect.
Jazz have several years to make a decision there. I'm excited to see what Hardy and the coaches can do with Sexton and all the new players for that matter.
Can Sexton develop as more of a playmaker? He didn't have much of a chance when Cavs drafted Garland after Sexton's rookie year. Before the meniscus tear he was one of the fastest players in the league but Cavs never surrounded him with any real talent until they landed Allen, Lauri, and then Mobley last year but of course Sexton ended up getting injured without getting to really play much with them. It is encouraging to see that another smaller market was able to acquire so much talent in such a short span. I think Ainge will be able to do it too especially with the stockpile of picks he's accumulated.

Apparently the Mavs had interest in acquiring Sexton to replace Brunson but they were so far over the tax apron they couldn't realistically make any s&t deals this summer.

Jazz have several years to make a decision there. I'm excited to see what Hardy and the coaches can do with Sexton and all the new players for that matter.
Can Sexton develop as more of a playmaker? He didn't have much of a chance when Cavs drafted Garland after Sexton's rookie year. Before the meniscus tear he was one of the fastest players in the league but Cavs never surrounded him with any real talent until they landed Allen, Lauri, and then Mobley last year but of course Sexton ended up getting injured without getting to really play much with them. It is encouraging to see that another smaller market was able to acquire so much talent in such a short span. I think Ainge will be able to do it too especially with the stockpile of picks he's accumulated.

Apparently the Mavs had interest in acquiring Sexton to replace Brunson but they were so far over the tax apron they couldn't realistically make any s&t deals this summer.

I don’t think he’ll every be much of a playmaker, but who cares. For the next several seasons the Jazz will be trying to lose on purpose anyways. Sexton is kind of the perfect player for a tank. He’ll retain some value because he will put up big numbers, but he doesn’t really help you win when he’s in the #1 option role.

The most important development for him would be defense, and he’ll have a better time guarding guys his size, but I don’t have hopes he’ll get better especially as he focuses on being an offensive player first.

I still say let someone else take a flier on Wembanyama. Go for someone more solid. His offense and decision-making are just plain bad.

If the Jazz have picks #19 and #25 in this draft, I would strongly consider packaging them to trade up to #15 or #16. One of the starting-caliber bigs (Lively, Ware or Baba Miller) will probably be available in that range. If not, then someone like Jordan Wash or Arthur Kaluma is probably there.

If the Jazz have picks #19 and #25 in this draft, I would strongly consider packaging them to trade up to #15 or #16. One of the starting-caliber bigs (Lively, Ware or Baba Miller) will probably be available in that range. If not, then someone like Jordan Wash or Arthur Kaluma is probably there.

Gradey Dick