What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

1. Wemby
2. Scoot (I kind of want to say Miller but I'm a coward)
3. Miller
4. Ausar
5. Amen
6. Walker
7. Dick
8. Cissoko
9. George (the OL discourse made me realize I should be higher in him)
10. Black
11. Whitmore
12. Wallace
13. Filipowski
14. L Miller
Very close to my board.

Also welcome to the Ausar > Amen club.

That’s a nice way of putting it. But that actually kind of plays into my point. I’m sure Russ started out a lot more coachable and with all of the intangibles you want in a young player.

In other words, those warts usually come with time and success. I’m not saying Scoot will have them but I’m saying it’s not a sure thing that he won’t have them.

What could make all of the difference in either case? Being able to stretch the floor.
Sure sure, just saying if he has all the Russ ability you throw the dice and hope you can coach him into a better outcome.

Russ, from what I can tell, has a different kind of personality (like chemically). That's probably what made him great, but it also held him back.

If we knew he’d be as good as Huerter has been this year how high would you be willing to take him?

I think he's physically more similar to Heurter than Kispert. Kispert is strong but not as athletic or smooth....but Heurter had a little bit more game in college IMO. I was a big fan because of what he was doing off the dribble and his passing.

I think he's physically more similar to Heurter than Kispert. Kispert is strong but not as athletic or smooth....but Heurter had a little bit more game in college IMO. I was a big fan because of what he was doing off the dribble and his passing.
The key difference between Dick and Huerter is frame. I can see Dick being a guy who bulks up to around 215-220 at his peak playing physique whereas Huerter is a dude who is probably clocking into the season just at 200 lbs.

1. Wemby
2. Miller
3. Scoot
4. Amen
5. Ausar
6. Whitmore
7. Walker
8. Black
9. Wallace
10. Hendricks
11. Sidy C
12. Rupert
13. Hawkins
14. L Miller
15. George
16. Dick
17. Coulibaly
18. Smith Jr.
19. GG
20. M Lewis
George/Dick at 15/16 might be the boldest takes so far other than GG at 9.

Top 10... I'm not sure if he is more Kevin Huerter or rich man's Corey Kispert... apologies for the white on white comps here... but Dick is a white guy who looks like an 80s movie villain. I can't help it. I think he has a real high floor and is more than just a shooter.. not sure how much more is there.
He kind of reminds me of Hayward a little bit.

The key difference between Dick and Huerter is frame. I can see Dick being a guy who bulks up to around 215-220 at his peak playing physique whereas Huerter is a dude who is probably clocking into the season just at 200 lbs.

Maybe, I think Heurter has a lot of toughness too that makes him a decent defender. He bodies up a lot of guys. Haven't watched Dick enough to know how tough he is. Sometimes I feel like it's more important to be tough than built.

Speaking of frames....Whitehead has basically the same shooting numbers as Dick and has an amazing NBA frame. The irony is that Whitehead is worse in all aspects where you think that would help (rim, rebounds, stocks). Not saying I would draft him over Dick, but I think that if you like one you probably like the other for similar reasons.

At least with Amen he won't be as cowardly as Exum was. He's going to be able to get his shots off.
Amen and Ausar are so much different than Dante and Ben Simmons (the other guy that comes up) in their mental makeup. They also seem to love basketball which is a big differentiator with BS.

Maybe, I think Heurter has a lot of toughness too that makes him a decent defender. He bodies up a lot of guys. Haven't watched Dick enough to know how tough he is. Sometimes I feel like it's more important to be tough than built.

Speaking of frames....Whitehead has basically the same shooting numbers as Dick and has an amazing NBA frame. The irony is that Whitehead is worse in all aspects where you think that would help (rim, rebounds, stocks). Not saying I would draft him over Dick, but I think that if you like one you probably like the other for similar reasons.
Nah, Whitehead is mediocre. Maybe it's mediocrity due to injury and he can certainly improve his stock with a good tourney, but he's more of a late first/early 2nd type guy.

The twins are interesting, but I have no idea how to reconcile their actual performance. They've got great numbers. But so do a bunch of teenagers much younger than them who aren't even elite recruits.

The twins are interesting, but I have no idea how to reconcile their actual performance. They've got great numbers. But so do a bunch of teenagers much younger than them who aren't even elite recruits.
What? Again, no one in the OTE was as close to as good as the twins. Raw numbers don't really mean much

Amen and Ausar are so much different than Dante and Ben Simmons (the other guy that comes up) in their mental makeup. They also seem to love basketball which is a big differentiator with BS.
Bro Ben loves ball. It would be better if he didn't because then he wouldn't have crippling anxiety about not being able to shoot FTs.

Did Ben Simmon not love basketball coming out of high school/college?
I think he likes basketball but loves being rich and famous (parts of it anyway). Now that he has the bag he doesn't seem to care all that much about playing. He never really improved a whole lot since his like rookie or second rookie year... I think he was just super talented and worked a fair amount... but not like the guys that love the game. He quit on his college team so yeah I don't think he ever really loved the game but maybe that is a more recent development.

I think he likes basketball but loves being rich and famous (parts of it anyway). Now that he has the bag he doesn't seem to care all that much about playing. He never really improved a whole lot since his like rookie or second rookie year... I think he was just super talented and worked a fair amount... but not like the guys that love the game. He quit on his college team so yeah I don't think he ever really loved the game but maybe that is a more recent development.
Yeah cos I remember when he was up for ROY against Don, he was clearly the better player back then. Kinda funny to see us pushing so hard for Don to win it.