What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

Pels look great with Brandon Ingram running the offense. Ingram has 36 pts and 8 assists against LAC, and he's been carving up the Clippers' defense. I get the sense that the Jazz would like to initiate from the wing like the Pels are right now. I wonder how much of that Gradey Dick can do.

Last edited:
Pels look great with Brandon Ingram running the offense. Ingram has 36 pts and 8 assists against LAC, and he's carving up the Clippers' defense. I get the sense that the Jazz would like to initiate from the wing like the Pels are right now. I wonder how much of that Gradey Dick can do.
He wasn't a creator at all at Duke either.

He wasn't a creator at all at Duke either.

Ingram had about 47% of his shots assisted at the college level compared to about 65% for Dick. Ingrams play inside the arc was especially self created ….why are we even making this comparison? Lol

Ingram had about 47% of his shots assisted at the college level compared to about 65% for Dick. Ingrams play inside the arc was especially self created ….why are we even making this comparison? Lol

You sometimes have the weirdest strawmen and non-sequiturs. We're not talking about whether Ingram's scoring was self-initiated at Duke. I'm pointing out that Ingram has been running the offense as a primary initiator for the Pels and doing an excellent job of it. Ingram averaged 2 assists per game as a freshman at Duke. He's been developing as a play initiator since he's been in the league, and he had 8 assists today while being guarded primarily by Kawhi. Towards the end of the game, the Clippers were trapping to get that ball out his hands and Ingram made great reads time and again.

If Gradey Dick--who averaged 1.8 assists per game and showed advanced feel and timing at Kansas--can develop as a passer and on-ball initiator like Brandon Ingram has, then his value as a player would go up substantially. Teams love to initiate offense from the wing.

You sometimes have the weirdest strawmen and non-sequiturs. We're not talking about whether Ingram's scoring was self-initiated at Duke. I'm pointing out that Ingram has been running the offense as a primary initiator for the Pels and doing an excellent job of it. Ingram averaged 2 assists per game as a freshman at Duke. He's been developing as a play initiator since he's been in the league, and he had 8 assists today while being guarded primarily by Kawhi. Towards the end of the game, the Clippers were trapping to get that ball out his hands and Ingram made great reads time and again.

If Gradey Dick--who averaged 1.8 assists per game and showed advanced feel and timing at Kansas--can develop as a passer and on-ball initiator like Brandon Ingram has, then his value as a player would go up substantially. Teams love to initiate offense from the wing.

Well I assumed that when youngjeffe said that he didn’t create at all that included creating shots. That was the thing Brandon Ingram was known for coming into the league. My fault if you were only talking about passing when you cited 35 and 8 and that had nothing to do with scoring.

I think it’s a bad comparison given that they are completely different players, but it is legitimately a mistake on my part if I assumed that citing a 35/8 game included any discussion about scoring. Ingram’s development as a playmaker was inherently tied to his scoring off the dribble. Those go hand in hand and Ingram would not be a playmaker for his teammates if he could not handle the ball and create offense for himself.

I think most people underrated Dicks upside

I think he does deserve a bit more credit with the ball in his hands. He could have some growth and I think he could have done more at Kansas given the chance. I’m just not going to compare him to the prospect that was seen as a baby Durant.

Using the “well player X made a crazy development so why can’t prospect y do the same” is pretty weak to begin with. I’m not about to say every wing that can’t shoot the 3 will improve because Kawhi couldn’t shoot the 3 in college. But it’s even weaker when the prospect isn’t even the same type of player.

I like Gradey Dick a lot….but I don’t like him because I see shades of Brandon Ingram.

If you value smallish ineffecient 2 guards
I like Agbaji as well ( you are clearly the biggest OA homer on here and it's clear that is your reasoning for this semi stupid take) in fact there is no way Ochai gets that much usage without being a better on ball player. Hawkins is a much better on ball guard with a handles and a first step so as a playmaker he is slowly beginning to be given credit in that area as far as projected ability in the NBA. The innefficient label on Hawkins is weak argument imo, he is arguably the best shooter in this draft class, but with all the attention he has gotten this season from other teams defenses game planned against him his stat line aint the greatest. He is a legit 6'4 no shoes minimum imo and he don't play barefoot anyway. He is 6'5 on paper that is more than big enough.
The length is obvious as well lol
Granted that team is stacked and it can be a little misleading so I guess you missed it

btw dick sucks aaaahhhahhhahh