What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

Wallace will most likely go top 10.

I have a hard time believing he falls past Washington/Orlando/Utah as all 3 could talk themselves into needing a PG. Since Wallace is considered more "NBA ready" than most prospects, those 3 teams may value him more because all 3 should want to make the playoffs next season.

Is a team really going to value JHS over Wallace? I still think Bufkin could jump up way higher than people think, and I could potentially see him surpassing Wallace if a team really believes in him, but I would still bet on Wallace going before him.

Hard to see Orlando taking Black with his shooting issues. Maybe that isnt a deterrent for Washington though, and they take Black ahead of Washington.

Main scenario I see Wallace falling out of the top 10 is if Utah moves up to the top 4. Washington takes Black. Magic opt to commit to Fultz as a full-time PG and take Hawkins to provide more shooting in the backcourt.

My strategy:
Trade the 2027 Laker pick and the 2023 BKN pick for any player in the top 8 - I think this is most likely Taylor Hendricks.
Hopefully we still have the 9th pick and select Wallace.
With the Minnesota pick select the best prospect, Sensabraugh, or trade out.

My strategy:
Trade the 2027 Laker pick and the 2023 BKN pick for any player in the top 8 - I think this is most likely Taylor Hendricks.
I dont think that package gets you in the top 8 at all.

I dont think that package gets you in the top 8 at all.
Probably right.. It would have to have more to it. But I think this year you do it - quality in the top 12 (I want 3 selections this year - this is the year to buy in) and the other picks you keep them if you believe in the prospects otherwise, I would sell them for future picks.

Keyonte George has fell down most draft boards after his abysmal end to the season. He's not the typical type of prospect I like, but I still think he's got a great deal of potential. He shows flashes in his playmaking that make me believe he can be a good enough lead ball handler, and his off the dribble 3 shows more potential than just about anyone else in this class. An off the dribble three might be the most premium skill these days. Whether he actually turns into a lead ball handler or ends up more like an Eric Gordon I think he has a decent amount of good outcomes. A lot of these chucker types don't come with defense, but I think Keyonte is a good competitor with physical strength.

If he falls into the teens I think that's great value for him.

My strategy:
That package likely gets you into the mid/early teens at best. Its still something I would consider doing... either packaging the Minny pick and a future pick to move into top 10 or Philly pick and Lakers pick to get mid teens.

Keyonte George has fell down most draft boards after his abysmal end to the season. He's not the typical type of prospect I like, but I still think he's got a great deal of potential. He shows flashes in his playmaking that make me believe he can be a good enough lead ball handler, and his off the dribble 3 shows more potential than just about anyone else in this class. An off the dribble three might be the most premium skill these days. Whether he actually turns into a lead ball handler or ends up more like an Eric Gordon I think he has a decent amount of good outcomes. A lot of these chucker types don't come with defense, but I think Keyonte is a good competitor with physical strength.

If he falls into the teens I think that's great value for him.
Here is a dilemma I faced in the mock draft... Keyonte or Kobe?

I ended up punting and taking Hawkins lol.

That package likely gets you into the mid/early teens at best. It’s still something I would consider doing... either packaging the Minny pick and a future pick to move into top 10 or Philly pick and Lakers pick to get mid teens.
If you jump into the top 4, then a follow up move could be the best route. Move up from either the Wolves or the 76ers pick. I’d be open to taking on a bad salary if they get the right player.

Here is a dilemma I faced in the mock draft... Keyonte or Kobe?

I ended up punting and taking Hawkins lol.

That's a good question. Bufkin is much more like the prospect I typically like. Outstanding at the rim, good stocks, positional size, productive at a young age. Despite that, I'm still leaning George and I don't have great justification for it other than that I think George has the potential to be a special shot maker and tough to guard in PnR. He takes so many crazy wild shots. If he reels it back a little bit I think he can be very good. Maybe it's the draft cycle bias where George was ranked top 8 all year and Bufkin barely on draft boards at all.

If you jump into the top 4, then a follow up move could be the best route. Move up from either the Wolves or the 76ers pick. I’d be open to taking on a bad salary if they get the right player.
Taking on bad salary, sending out non-Lauri players, then trading future picks should be the order of preference for compensating other teams for (current) draft capital.

That's a good question. Bufkin is much more like the prospect I typically like. Outstanding at the rim, good stocks, positional size, productive at a young age. Despite that, I'm still leaning George and I don't have great justification for it other than that I think George has the potential to be a special shot maker and tough to guard in PnR. He takes so many crazy wild shots. If he reels it back a little bit I think he can be very good. Maybe it's the draft cycle bias where George was ranked top 8 all year and Bufkin barely on draft boards at all.
that was kinda my thought. I think I'd like to move into the late teens early 20s if possible to land Bufkin... instead of taking George with a lotto pick. Its really about pedigree rather than production.

Jazz arent going to be taking any bad salary on in the draft. They have free agent goals.
Counter: Ainge looks for any angle to improve the team in the long term. He probably has machinations of what to do when free agency etc commences, but the goal this season was always to get as high in the draft as possible and if the right deal comes along he will go for it.

Besides, who are the free agents that are gonna be worth throwing $60-$70+ million at?