What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

And they should have outperformed what they did when Harden/Embiid were both healthy, but they didnt. They clearly had issues. Of course we would expect that to get cleaned up at some point and for the level of basketball to rise at some point. All I'm saying is that with Harden being out that point will come sooner. It will be easier for them to figure out and get back on the same page. There will be more urgency with Harden out.

10-5 is on pace for a 54 win season, which would be a top 5 team in the NBA. That's what everyone thought the Sixers were coming into the season, so I agree with you that's what Harden/Embiid (with everyone else healthy as well) should be doing, but they werent. Looking at their upcoming month, I would say they would be like 7-8 w/ a fully healthy team. I think they will go 9-6.
Yeah I fully agree… not playing together will totally help them mesh together and get on the same page… it will be seamless when Harden returns. Lol

I’m comfortable saying they will be worse than 9-6. If Embiid misses a few games it could get real ugly though. Harden not playing giving them a two game bump up is pretty wild… if that is really the case they should move him.

Yeah I fully agree… not playing together will totally help them mesh together and get on the same page… it will be seamless when Harden returns. Lol

I’m comfortable saying they will be worse than 9-6. If Embiid misses a few games it could get real ugly though. Harden not playing giving them a two game bump up is pretty wild… if that is really the case they should move him.
There are plenty of examples of the scenarios I'm talking about having a positive effect on the team and does not require them to trade Harden. You are welcome to your opinion, but to act like I have some outrageous opinion on this is disingenuous.

There are plenty of examples of the scenarios I'm talking about having a positive effect on the team and does not require them to trade Harden. You are welcome to your opinion, but to act like I have some outrageous opinion on this is disingenuous.
I would love some of these examples/scenarios where a star player got hurt and it helped two stars mesh together. In these scenarios it is likely that whatever positive change happened from a player being out resulted in some permanent roster move or adjustment to the rotation.

It isn't outrageous... but it is likely to be loud wrong to hear "star player X is out for 15 games... which is actually good for his team". Loud wrong is fairly on brand for you lately so carry on.

I would love some of these examples/scenarios where a star player got hurt and it helped two stars mesh together. In these scenarios it is likely that whatever positive change happened from a player being out resulted in some permanent roster move or adjustment to the rotation.

It isn't outrageous... but it is likely to be loud wrong to hear "star player X is out for 15 games... which is actually good for his team". Loud wrong is fairly on brand for you lately so carry on.
Are you becoming one of these people who overreacts to small sample size just to say Cy is wrong?

That's cute.

Are you becoming one of these people who overreacts to small sample size just to say Cy is wrong?

That's cute.
Sure... that's it... that's what I do. Is this your response or do you actually want to cite the multitude of examples where star injuries were super awesome.

Also, lol at the small samples size... bruh you said Sexton swindled us after like a pre-season game.

Sure... that's it... that's what I do. Is this your response or do you actually want to cite the multitude of examples where star injuries were super awesome.

Also, lol at the small samples size... bruh you said Sexton swindled us after like a pre-season game.
It will take longer because these arent things that are easily looked up and are often extremely contextual in the moment that happened. It will require me to actually remember the specific scenario, do a stats dive, and show the proof and context. I believe there are plenty of examples, but they arent easily searchable. It's often a star or key player going down, which opens up the game for other players and gets them to play with more confidence. A good example of the top of my head and one that was fairly recent would be the Grizzlies without Morant. Obviously they are better with Morant overall, but last year they played so well without him I belive it gave the team confidence to overachieve and play great into the playoffs and outperform what they would be capable of if Ja never missed time. Also there is the whole thing of taking out a defensive weak link and having the juice to mantain the offense (which I believe will be the case with the Sixers). Maxy will get more touches, Embiid will get more touches, and they will have more opportunity to play some defenders they havent been playing. Obviously the overall CEILING is higher with Harden, which is why they dont just trade him if they play better without him. Sometimes it's easier for a team to gel once the team gets going and you insert another element, rather trying to get all the elements going at once.

Sexton has a career sample size of 3 years.

Last edited:
It will take longer because these arent things that are easily looked up and are often extremely contextual in the moment that happened. It will require me to actually remember the specific scenario, do a stats dive, and show the proof and context. I believe there are plenty of examples, but they arent easily searchable. It's often a star or key player going down, which opens up the game for other players and gets them to play with more confidence. A good example of the top of my head and one that was fairly recent would be the Grizzlies without Morant. Obviously they are better with Morant overall, but last year they played so well without him I belive it gave the team confidence to overachieve and play great into the playoffs and outperform what they would be capable of if Ja never missed time. Also there is the whole thing of taking out a defensive weak link and having the juice to mantain the offense (which I believe will be the case with the Sixers). Maxy will get more touches, Embiid will get more touches, and they will have more opportunity to play some defenders they havent been playing. Obviously the overall CEILING is higher with Harden, which is why they dont just trade him if they play better without him. Sometimes it's easier for a team to gel once the team gets going and you insert another element, rather trying to get all the elements going at once.

Sexton has a career sample size of 3 years.
That will likely be the best example... the Grizz team was deep with perimeter guys all looking for opportunities... Philly... not so much. Grizz really weren't struggling though... there isn't another star he had to mesh with that he wasn't meshing with.

Sexton has proven to be a Bonafide NBA scorer over his three years... THT has proven he's great at cashing in on the Lakers hype machine.

That will likely be the best example... the Grizz team was deep with perimeter guys all looking for opportunities... Philly... not so much. Grizz really weren't struggling though... there isn't another star he had to mesh with that he wasn't meshing with.

Sexton has proven to be a Bonafide NBA scorer over his three years... THT has proven he's great at cashing in on the Lakers hype machine.
All I can say is we will see. I just think it's incorrect to act like my position has no basis or is just "saying **** to say ****". I think you could be right and I could be wrong. I'm sure if the Sixers lose their next two games I will get "omg Cy is wrong again" from my usual dick riders.

Is Sexton a better scorer? Of course. But at the end of the day he's a defensive liability who lacks size. THT has some rough edges, but I believe in him being a useful rotation player worth developing more than Sexton.

Expressing opinion and beeing wrong is quite normal. The opposite wil be strange and no one got the absolute truth. Some people here were saying after 3 games that Mike was done as he was shooting 27% at 3. After 9 he is back to 40%. Basing opinion on small numbers is difficult.
For Sexton, i am in-between. This guys is very fast and can create his own offense. But he got a lot to improve in terms of passing the ball, important defense and IQ basketball.

2 good examples for me at last games : - on once action he seems to run for guard the guys who was still on the way to check- in!.
- Last action : he run like crazy after get the rebound when he should know we need a 3. He should have run less and think more. Take the shoot if he can of pass the ball.

But he is pretty young, come back from injury. I still wanna believe he can be as good as Don.

For THT, i do love the energy he put and his defense. Not sure he can be turn into a decent shooter but if he can, he will be a very valuable player.

With the trade we made with the nets 1st rounder who’s pick do we get Houston Philly
Or theirs ?
The worst of the three.
First, Houston can swap their pick with Nets (which is probably not that likely, unless Nets _really_ blow up), then Nets will send the worst of whatever remains of that swap and the 76ers pick to us.
So basically, of the three picks, Rockets chose first, Nets chose second, we get the spoils.

The worst of the three.
First, Houston can swap their pick with Nets (which is probably not that likely, unless Nets _really_ blow up), then Nets will send the worst of whatever remains of that swap and the 76ers pick to us.
So basically, of the three picks, Rockets chose first, Nets chose second, we get the spoils.
Sweet we could still end up with one of their lottery picks and now harden out for a month Philly will struggle awesome trade we made

Jazz definitely need to start losing and trade the vets. Give Sexton 38 mpg and watch us finish below 28 wins. Give Lauri some rest nights and eventually a vacation due to a sore knee.

Honestly feels that the only way he won’t succeed in this league will be due to injuries.

You can’t defend that.
Or lack of love for the sport. Or too much love for money. Or mental toughness and pressure tolerance. Or lack of "clutch gene". Or adapting to culture/city. Or love for controversial social media posts.

Weve seen players fail for many reasons. The human side of things is the hardest to predict.

One of the under the radar mid-major players I'm keeping an eye on: Zach Hicks

Could be one of the best shooters in college this year. Has NBA length w/ a quick high release 3. Might have a big breakout this year.