What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

Why the hate on Brandon Miller? Seriously it puts a damper on your other takes which have been pretty good.

I like Miller. He's always been in my top 8-10. I don't think he's a #1 option. I also think he's overpriced in the top 5. That's why he hasn't been a priority for me.

If you're talking about the Jazz, there is also likely a question of cultural fit.

I usually feel the same. Best to take a swing for the fences because the payoff is immense if/when you hit.

That said, Cason isnt that for me but I would still very much consider him at 9 depending on how it all pans out. Mostly because if he hits his ceiling, thats the kind of dude that absolutely helps a team go get a chip. The stars win it but dudes like that are necessary IMO. Love the kid.

I would absolutely draft Wallace outside the top 10.

The thing that worries me with Black is that he is passive as a scorer/shooter. His form isnt the worst in the world and certainly workable, but a lot of his shooting issues came from obvious confidence issues.

It's pretty easy for me to see him being so worried about his shot that he fades into the background of a team and becomes a wide open spot-up shooter who isnt putting his impact on the game he is capable of.
Watching them I kept wondering if the coach was anti-three and wanted them to drive instead of take the open jumper. He had some quote where he essentially said they aren't a shooting team... because Black was kind of aggressive in driving but then you kick to an open shooter and its Jordan Walsh who moves it along or Ricky Council who pump fakes and drives. It was drives to nowhere and it just seemed like the paint was so congested.

Which is why after watching I was like its impossible to split the blame pie correctly here and everyone who sees this can rationally split it how they want and be right. Its why I am fascinated with Black and would be happy with the pick and a little scared. Cason provides a similar level of defense and is more normal. The Kentucky guard thing works in his favor and if the back injury isn't serious it might be a hint that he has more he couldn't show. If those guys are left at 9... give me one of em and I don't care which really.

he decided early on in the college season he wasn't a fan, that miller had specific warts, etc - cooled off a tad when Miller continued to dominate and produce - but ultimately he can't or is unwilling to shake it off. it is what it is. ferguson does have good takes, you just ignore anything brandon miller related. and that's okay.

I compared Miller to Otto Porter, Khris Middleton and Nic Batum and people think I'm hating on him. I'm not.

Also, Miller struggled in the NCAA tournament.

I compared Miller to Otto Porter, Khris Middleton and Nic Batum and people think I'm hating on him. I'm not.

Yeah but GG struggled at basketball and life.

I'm kidding... have your opinion.

his ceiling is so much higher than those guys, it's scary. especially batum and porter. middleton is probably a conservative comp - though miller is bigger and more athletic.

Black isn’t making it out of the top-6.
Draft order will be critical but I doubt he goes top 6 based on the number of teams with established pgs in the top 8 and some of the other teams already have high level prospects there. He's 3rd or 4th pg in the lotto and I can't see Indiana, Charlotte, Detroit prioritizing pg if similar wing or frontcourt talent is available. Orlando maybe but they have some guys and probably not too excited for another iffy shooter.

Only takes one *******... but I think fit is gonna be too good with guys like Taylor and Cam and will push some pgs down potentially.

Black is the only one of these guys that I actually saw play a little bit and was extremely unimpressed.

But college is like an entirely different game. Black has the size and athleticism I’m looking for in a top 10 pick. And it’s pretty common to see draft people put him in the top 5. So there’s gotta be something there. HH sold me on his work ethic and such as well.
I watched Black play probably 4 games. From that sample size, I saw someone with great size but not strength, a willingness to pass, someone who 1/2 the time showed great defensive promise on the perimeter and other 1/2 he looked lost. I also saw someone that seemed too afraid to even try to shoot even when wide open, someone who didn't want to set screens or do anything else on offense when the ball was not in his hands, and who didn't seem to know where he should be on the court. Some of this can be taught , but some has me very concerned. I have him about 9 or 10 due to potential, but I would prefer someone I have more confidence in or someone I think has more upside. In every one of those games Ricky Council or Jordan Walsh seemed to have the most impact on the team's success, not Black. I don't hate him, but I hope for better.

Last edited:
I do think 2-5 is not amazing this draft. After Wemby, I think the next few picks might go a spot or two higher than they would normally. But it bunches up quickly.