What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

And to add to this, remember GG's Freshman year age is the typical prospect senior year of HS, hell junior year for some of these dudes.
That is fine... but to me it also illustrates part of the problem... I think he's a guy who's not quite "2 years away from being 2 years away" but its going to be a long project. Those aren't the end of the world, but at #9 there is no way the risk to reward is worth it. At #16 if you want to go that route then fine... but i still would not.

That is fine... but to me it also illustrates part of the problem... I think he's a guy who's not quite "2 years away from being 2 years away" but its going to be a long project. Those aren't the end of the world, but at #9 there is no way the risk to reward is worth it. At #16 if you want to go that route then fine... but i still would not.
That's fine, I just don't value anyone at 9 all that highly. Maybe Bufkin? So it would be some intel driven decision (for me) if you think Bufkin is more likely to be taken or if GG is more likely to be taken between picks 10-15.

If you like GG cuz you think the size means he can defend and do the extra stuff and is brimming with potential... I think Leonard Miller is the better upside pick to do stuff like that and add some scoring/shooting on top of it at some point.

If you like GG cuz of bucket getting Sensabaugh is a better prospect imo. Now if those guys are gone and you want to grab GG then by all means... but he feels so obviously like fools gold.

If you like GG cuz you think the size means he can defend and do the extra stuff and is brimming with potential... I think Leonard Miller is the better upside pick to do stuff like that and add some scoring/shooting on top of it at some point.

If you like GG cuz of bucket getting Sensabaugh is a better prospect imo. Now if those guys are gone and you want to grab GG then by all means... but he feels so obviously like fools gold.
K, but what if you want a player who has a prototype size and athleticism at the 3 spot with advanced footwork (who could possibly still be growing at 18 years old) and has a functional shooting release and half-court scoring ability?

Does Miller having visibly clunky shot mechanics move the needle for you? Cuz GG doesn’t have that.

I think it’s easier to tame a young fool than it is to correct something as fundamental as shot mechanics. Miller’s floor is for sure higher but I’m swing-happy after 9.

K, but what if you want a player who has a prototype size and athleticism at the 3 spot with advanced footwork (who could possibly still be growing at 18 years old) and has a functional shooting release and half-court scoring ability?
He’s beyond the prototype, though. Players the size of GG don’t move like GG and are almost never as young as GG at this stage of the draft process.

To echo what you already said, if GG doesn’t have the warts (immature and hero ball sick with efficiency to match) he would be a top-5 lock. Grabbing him at 16 is not a reach at all (which is why he’s probably not there, in which case I hope he goes top-8).

Agreed. I want someone at 9 that can actually play next season, not someone that can crack the rotation in 2 years.

Someone always gets picked earlier than expected. What if the Jazz picked Leonard Miller at #9 since no one obvious fell to 9? Would you freak out? He is tall, long, and athletic. He scores and rebounds great. He could probably put in some time at the 3, 4, and maybe even the 5 in spurts. He gives effect on defense. I've seen/heard him anywhere from around 11 or 12 all the way down into the mid 20s.

What if we like it cos he’s a combination of both though?

And if we are talking rare exceptions and unique cases, how many top prospects choose to go to a terrible basketball college basketball team in a strong conference?

GG made an exceptionally unique choice going to South Carolina.

Someone always gets picked earlier than expected. What if the Jazz picked Leonard Miller at #9 since no one obvious fell to 9? Would you freak out? He is tall, long, and athletic. He scores and rebounds great. He could probably put in some time at the 3, 4, and maybe even the 5 in spurts. He gives effect on defense. I've seen/heard him anywhere from around 11 or 12 all the way down into the mid 20s.
Absolutely not.

I wouldn't freak out tbh. I like Miller, I probably wont have him lottery, but there is talent and if Utah brought him in, I would trust they arent morons and saw something they could develop into more than meets the eye.

If it comes with being a blackhole and complete defensive liability with a kid who showed a lack of maturity that doesn't typically change when they get millions of dollars.... then I will wait.

How is GG going to respond when he is in the G League and collecting DNPs? Maybe SC was rough but NBA gonna potentially be much rougher.

If it comes with being a blackhole and complete defensive liability with a kid who showed a lack of maturity that doesn't typically change when they get millions of dollars.... then I will wait.

How is GG going to respond when he is in the G League and collecting DNPs? Maybe SC was rough but NBA gonna potentially be much rougher.
He needs rougher. Your first paragraph doesn’t work with your second.

Yeah but what about creating for himself though?

Definitely at #16 but not at #9 for mine.

Does Miller having visibly clunky shot mechanics move the needle for you? Cuz GG doesn’t have that.

I think it’s easier to tame a young fool than it is to correct something as fundamental as shot mechanics. Miller’s floor is for sure higher but I’m swing-happy after 9.
I actually disagree... Miller can be an nba player even if the shot doesn't improve. I think it will but it may never be awesome. I think its easier to take the guy who does all the extra stuff on the court and is really productive and build out some offense. The guy who puts his hands on his knees when he doesn't have the ball and is a horrible defender despite his tools.... I think its harder to teach that when they think they are Tatum.

He needs rougher. Your first paragraph doesn’t align with your second.
I also think his mindset was go to South Carolina, get the ball and dominate, it's just college. Which is fair IMO, not great, but I get it.

I would think he has been humbled at least a bit and won't have that same mindset as the 9th overall pick. Utah also isnt a super young team, there are vets there to check him.

I actually disagree... Miller can be an nba player even if the shot doesn't improve. I think it will but it may never be awesome. I think its easier to take the guy who does all the extra stuff on the court and is really productive and build out some offense. The guy who puts his hands on his knees when he doesn't have the ball and is a horrible defender despite his tools.... I think its harder to teach that when they think they are Tatum.
I agree, Miller has a higher floor and an easier/more likely path to a steady NBA role, but are we drafting for floors at 9? Just doesnt vibe with me.

And we have Walker Kessler. Drafting a 4/5 who has a questionable jumper long-term is kind of iffy. His floor might be safe and viable, but his fit with WK is anything but.