What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

I know we’re supposed to just forget that he absolutely vanished at the end of the year and that he was involved in a murder but I am increasingly not sure why we’re supposed to forget those things.

The murder thing is a nothing burger. Barely any top prospects played well in the tournament either.

If Orlando is a Bilal team... I wonder if we could use that to move up or get more from OKC to move back. Like if Orlando is the promise at 11 then OKC ponies up a bit more to get to #9... maybe Orlando love Bilal and Dick and thinks they can get both while moving back to 9.

Bilal being a hot commodity is a good thing we can capitalize on. If someone did happen to jump up and take Bilal top 8 that would be amazing too.
I’m here for everyone going into a hysteria about a JV man of mystery across the ocean.

If there was a weird Bilal bidding war and OKC offered #12, Our 2024 1st, and another first later or like 25 2nds (they have a ton) I think that might be amazing value... and we likely still land Black/Wallace/Bufkin.

Also if Orlando likes Bilal/Ausar/Whitmore about the same I could see them being fine moving back to #9 while collecting the Lakers pick or another.

I think the Orlando option is the better of the two... but it could get interesting.
At very least we should start a bunch of rumors about wanting Bilal... whether OKC or another team trades above us for him or we get a premium for moving back or something... we should lean in as it would mean one of the top 7 wing/forward players slides to us.

I don't think it's a nothing burger. Even if he doesn't have any criminal or civil liability, certain teams could question the "cultural fit." Jazz are a squeaky-clean organization.
So I don’t actually think he should necessarily be seen as a bad apple despite the FACT he was involved in a murder. I certainly do have concerns about how all of that impacts his psyche, though.

He was especially ***, though. And he’s considered a top-3 lock. And I personally know 0 people involved in a murder. It’s not nothing.
Closest I got is someone in my sphere got drunk and ran over a kid in the middle of the road late at night (the kid lived, but was in critical condition) and he laid low for a few days while other people in my sphere cleaned blood off his car (he eventually turned himself in, which I should maybe give him credit for but I just can’t).

I am not a fan of this sphere of people and I don’t hang out with them anymore. They were/are scum ****s.

Cool story bro.

All’s I’m saying is being involved in a murder is not some ho hum ****.

That situation clearly shows a lack of good judgement, regardless of criminal charges. I can see why teams consider his judgement when they are making this huge of an investment in players.

Closest I got is someone in my sphere got drunk and ran over a kid in the middle of the road late at night (the kid lived, but was in critical condition) and he laid low for a few days while other people in my sphere cleaned blood off his car (he eventually turned himself in, which I should maybe give him credit for but I just can’t).

I am not a fan of this sphere of people and I don’t hang out with them anymore. They were/are scum ****s.

Cool story bro.

Yeah and the initial reporting was bad… I think what changed my mind on him a bit is there was some info that he did not see the text about the gun and was already on the way to pick up his friend… it’s not great but I think he does have a believable account where he legitimately was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I’m sure the truth is somewhere in the middle.

And just an FYI I was pretty down on him after the initial account of the story was released. It’s a tough one.

That situation clearly shows a lack of good judgement, regardless of criminal charges. I can see why teams consider his judgement when they are making this huge of an investment in players.
In one side of the story he was headed to pick up his friend, didn’t know about the gun, and got the infamous text on the way and didn’t see it.

The truth is generally in the middle. It’s not as clear that he’s a kid with bad judgement or if he had bad friends. Those guys were also on the team so it wasn’t like some dudes he was long time friends with.

It’s a tough one though.

The fact that David Locke turned his show today into a debate about Cason Wallace vs. Kobe Bufkin, and ended by making a case for Bufkin, seems like a sign to me. It seems like he was introducing Bufkin and polishing him up. Locke hasn't said much, if anything, about Keyonte George, Jalen Hood-Schifino or Nick Smith.
Because Locke isn't really tunes into the draft at this time

Yeah and the initial reporting was bad… I think what changed my mind on him a bit is there was some info that he did not see the text about the gun and was already on the way to pick up his friend… it’s not great but I think he does have a believable account where he legitimately was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I’m sure the truth is somewhere in the middle.

And just an FYI I was pretty down on him after the initial account of the story was released. It’s a tough one.
The initial report was taken out of context of by right wing media really trying to make him guilty.

The murder thing is a nothing burger. Barely any top prospects played well in the tournament either.
yep. and let's face it "end of the year" in this case means four bad games. guys go through cold spells. some people would do well to learn the principle of sample size. and in one of those four games, he had 23 and 12 and in another he had 19 and 7 - shot wasn't falling but he got to the line and got on the boards - exactly what you want to see from a guy who is having a shooting slump.

so basically he had four bad shooting games - and they were really bad, but of any concerns people have about Miller, i don't think there is a nba scout on the planet that is concerned about his shooting.

Last edited:
The initial report was taken out of context of by right wing media really trying to make him guilty.
The thing is I don't believe right wing media... left wing media or really anyone. I do think you hear the accounts and can judge what you want to believe. I thought both sides sounded plausible... and I always say the truth is somewhere in the middle.

I think its completely unreasonable for teams to expect him to revisit it and give more info than the statement. Its a legal matter and if he missed details or there was some inconsistency it could be used against him. Even if he isn't lying its hard to always have exact facts lined up every time you tell a story.

I think its a consideration. Don't think its a nothing burger or an issue. If it were combined with some Ja like dumb **** on social media or otherwise I'd be more concerned. If that stuff was out there we'd have seen it by now. I would still draft him 2 or 3.

The thing is I don't believe right wing media... left wing media or really anyone. I do think you hear the accounts and can judge what you want to believe. I thought both sides sounded plausible... and I always say the truth is somewhere in the middle.

I think its completely unreasonable for teams to expect him to revisit it and give more info than the statement. Its a legal matter and if he missed details or there was some inconsistency it could be used against him. Even if he isn't lying its hard to always have exact facts lined up every time you tell a story.

I think its a consideration. Don't think its a nothing burger or an issue. If it were combined with some Ja like dumb **** on social media or otherwise I'd be more concerned. If that stuff was out there we'd have seen it by now. I would still draft him 2 or 3.
Initial reports came out and people just added stuff to it. You can't both sides this.

It's a nothing burger. Teams are asking about it just so they can read him when he talks about it. I'm sure they are more concerned with the company he keeps and just want to know what his inner circle is more than anything.

Omg the thought of SAS getting Wemby and scoot in this draft would be insane. Talk about a building block.

I would be curious to see the trade package but I could see something based on K Johnson. If I was Portland I would want more for a win now.

If he falls out of the top-3 it will be a huge mistake.
I agree. I guess there’s just a part of me that is glad I’m not having to pull the trigger in the top-3 or something. Not saying he doesn’t belong in the top-3, I just think that there are more question marks than people are entertaining.

How are they proof that 6'7 is elite PG size, when neither one is a top tier player?

Im just asking. I dont know when PG standard was changed. The mark used to be 6'3 to 6'5 and more or less was considered a disadvantage.

I think the reason that people covet 6'7" point guards is that it allows you to slot the 6'2" flamethrowers at SG. Those type of guys are much easier to get than the 6'7" pgs. The Jazz with Donovan Mitchell look much, much better with a guy like that. Hell, we looked amazing with a healthy Joe Ingles only kinda playing that role.

Outside of Wemby or Scoot, all of the guys are puzzle pieces that fit each team's situation differently. Black allows us to possibly run Sexton or Clarkson and not give up much. Trading for Quickly would look nice too.

Me, I like Walker because believe he fills the frontline perfectly and brings playmaking which we desperately lack which is a bonus at his position. It leaves a huge hole in the backcourt that Black would fill nicely. It's unfortunate that Minny made the playoffs. I'm OK finishing the frontline and running the ad-hoc mess we had at guard last year because a rookie guard isn't generally worth much right away no matter where they are drafted.