What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

the biggest red flag is just that he wasn't very good in college last year. wasn't efficient scoring, didn't score very much. average rebounder, didn't make plays for teammates, turned it over a lot, had poor hands (which makes sense because it turns out they are abnormally small), made a lot of dumb plays, etc. granted, some of that could be that he began the year injured and the wrist may have bothered him all year, his coach sucked, the offense sucked, he had selfish teammates, he was one of the youngest players in the country, etc. so there are some explanations, but the fact is, he just wasn't very good and i don't know how much of what i just said is explanation and how much of it is excuses.

fwiw, cam was my favorite prospect going in to the college season with how powerful and athletic he was and after dominating for team usa in the summer and all the spring HS all star games, so i never missed a game of his if it was on TV - probably saw him 20+ times this year - and while the power and the athleticism (iow, upside) was apparent, he just wasn't that good (though there were certainly flashes). it wasn't unusual for his coach to sit him down the stretch in close games because they were often better without him on the floor.
I dont see many glaring red flags for Cam, but he just didnt produce enough for him to be a slam dunk guarantee. He's got the tools in spades, and that's what makes him higher than others.

My concern on Podz is that he may not be quick enough laterally to survive. I like him. I'm okayish on JHS... like I see what his believers could see. I just don't think he realizes it and at 9 there will be way better bets... at 16 I think there are better bets too... but it starts to make more sense.
Yeah, I love the idea of Podz, but he's got cement feet guarding his own man. He also had pretty mediocre numbers when they played better competition. He will be an interesting one to keep up with because he has a lot of the advanced stats indicators.

I dont see many glaring red flags for Cam, but he just didnt produce enough for him to be a slam dunk guarantee. He's got the tools in spades, and that's what makes him higher than others.
The passing is an issue... but not like he can't fix or work around it. I think his shot is pretty... the way he moves gives me shower boners (sorry it got weird)... I just think he's a guy that becomes tough to deal with.

every time i start to like jhs a little bit, i remind myself of that. just not sure what jhs gives you that podz doesn't give you at a higher level.
JHS is bigger and better mover laterally. I also think JHS has better ability to rise up over NBA sized players to get his shot off where Podz might have to be more off-ball/quick decisions on-ball (effectively preventing him from being a primary handler and more a secondary side creator). You're also going to have to get someone to guard the 1 on the other team where JHS can realistically matchup with smaller quicker guards and not get absolutely cooked like Podz might.

I think Podz really needs to prove he's an elite shooter. He had elite 3pt% this season, but his FT% doesn't add up to an elite shooter, so it might have been a bit flukey.

My concern on Podz is that he may not be quick enough laterally to survive. I like him. I'm okayish on JHS... like I see what his believers could see. I just don't think he realizes it and at 9 there will be way better bets... at 16 I think there are better bets too... but it starts to make more sense.
i mean, is jhs quick enough laterally?

Yes.

Not that quick guards wont be a complete non-issue, but his combination of length, lateral movement, and strength lets him be a pretty versatile man defender.
what makes jhs quicker than podz? i mean, i watched both of them quite a bit (JHS more than podz) and i didn't see any distinction on the court. did jhs do better in the athletic testing at the combine?

what makes jhs quicker than podz? i mean, i watched both of the quite a bit and i didn't see any distinction on the court - did jhs do better in the athletic testing?
Laterally? I think it's pretty clear when you watching any of their scouting reports. Podz is just really susceptible to his feet getting stuck in mud, especially when he has to close out. JHS just has better reactions and movement when guarding on ball. Podz is a good team defender and he does a great job of reading passing lanes, but he gets absolutely lost sometimes when he has to make multiple moves on defense.

Laterally? I think it's pretty clear when you watching any of their scouting reports. Podz is just really susceptible to his feet getting stuck in mud, especially when he has to close out. JHS just has better reactions and movement when guarding on ball. Podz is a good team defender and he does a great job of reading passing lanes, but he gets absolutely lost sometimes when he has to make multiple moves on defense.
so you're making it up or at least applying your own biases. because i disagree that it's clear when watching their scouting reports.

I think Podz really needs to prove he's an elite shooter. He had elite 3pt% this season, but his FT% doesn't add up to an elite shooter, so it might have been a bit flukey.
also, in regard to this sentence - he shot 77% from the FT line. Al Horford was second in the league in 3pt% this year. Shot 71% from the FT line. Podz took 185 threes this past season - that's a big enough sample that yeah, it aint flukey. as much as we like to think 3pt% and FT% are connected at the hip, they simply aren't. Joe Harris is a career 77% FT shooter and career 44% 3pt. He shot 64% FTs this past season while shooting 43% from three.

Last edited:
also, in regard to this sentence - he shot 77% from the FT line. Al Horford was second in the league in 3pt% this year. Shot 71% from the FT line. Podz took 185 threes this past season - that's a big enough sample, that yeah, it aint flukey. as much as we like to think 3pt% and FT% are connected at the hip, they simply aren't.
Horford/Podz arent comparable in the kind of 3's they take. Podz isnt going to be a pick n pop/floor spacing big. And you are talking about a dude who took .3 FTA per game, so just stop.

They are connected at the hip for elite shooting guards/wings. Curry/Klay/Kennard/Brogdon/Maxey/Hield/Kispert/Leonard/Brunson

Any guard/wing who is creating his own 3pt looks and is an elite shooter (consistently year to year, not just a hot shooting season like Horford had) and is getting enough FTA is shooting well above 80%.

Horford/Podz arent comparable in the kind of 3's they take. Podz isnt going to be a pick n pop/floor spacing big. And you are talking about a dude who took .3 FTA per game, so just stop.

They are connected at the hip for elite shooting guards/wings. Curry/Klay/Kennard/Brogdon/Maxey/Hield/Kispert/Leonard/Brunson

Any guard/wing who is creating his own 3pt looks and is an elite shooter (consistently year to year, not just a hot shooting season like Horford had) and is getting enough FTA is shooting well above 80%.
i guess you missed my edit - Joe Harris.

Funny thing is the NBA comps this writer made for JHS are Dejounte Murray, Immanuel Quickley, and Malcom Brogdon. A bunch of players JFC has had separate love affairs with yet he's one of the more underrated prospects here.

But Joe Harris was a poor FT shooting in college as well. So he could be considered an outlier, but at the NBA level, if you are an elite volume 3pt shooter who actually draws fouls, you are shooting over 80% in almost all cases, and usually more around 85%.

And again, I'm not saying he wont be because the FT is what it is, but it's not a positive indicator.

Joe Harris has a tiny volume of FTA. Does not qualify.
MPJ, Alec Burks are 79% and 80% respectively - both 42% and 41% 3pt shooters. not much different than Podz 77%. sorry man, 77% just isn't that bad - it isn't great, but plenty of 40% 3pt shooters right in that range. not to mention, he improved from 71% the previous season and played the season at age 19. not unreasonable to think he's a low to mid-80s FT shooter with another year under his belt.

MPJ, Alec Burks are 79% and 80% respectively - both 42% and 41% 3pt shooters. not much different than Podz 77%. sorry man, 77% just isn't that bad - it isn't great, but plenty of 40% 3pt shooters right in that range.
Brother Burks is a career 80% from the foul line and since transforming himself into a better shooter it's more around 83%

81% this past season. a whopping 4% better than podz at age 19.
Whopping 4%?

So there is no difference between a 36% shooter from 3 and a 40% shooter from 3?

You're just arguing to argue right now. FT/3pt are correlated. The truly elite shooters in the NBA (not freaking Alec Burks) are usually high level FT shooters. That's what Podz needs to get to, or close to, if he wants to be a primary ball-handler in the NBA.

I'm as high as almost anyone on Podz and think he has a chance to do that. I would be lying to myself if I didnt acknowledge the FT% doesnt point to an elite shooter.