What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

Still grown men. Again… Giannis played in a garbage league. You can see how good they will be… you can see their strengths and weaknesses. The jump shot is the only reason for concern on them.
Not grown men at all. Overtime elite is for 16 to 20 year olds. It is essentially AAU ball.

Not grown men at all. Overtime elite is for 16 to 20 year olds. It is essentially AAU ball.
My bad. I still have zero concerns on the route they took or why they took it. If the shot is good those guys are gonna be great.

I think you can look at guys like the guys that came through the G League and Anfernee Simons as guys that were successful with alternative routes... The Lamelo Ball success is also a good story. I would not ding anyone for not wanting to go play college basketball. The system and the game aren't setup for great individual success.

I think you can look at guys like the guys that came through the G League and Anfernee Simons as guys that were successful with alternative routes... The Lamelo Ball success is also a good story. I would not ding anyone for not wanting to go play college basketball. The system and the game aren't setup for great individual success.
In the end usually the talent is going to shine through but I think college ball gives them the best chance to be a lottery pick and these elite guys can make more playing college ball now than in these other leagues. The one and done guys take cake walk classes as well with tutors doing most of the work so it isn't like they are really working hard in school.

In the end usually the talent is going to shine through but I think college ball gives them the best chance to be a lottery pick and these elite guys can make more playing college ball now than in these other leagues. The one and done guys take cake walk classes as well with tutors doing most of the work so it isn't like they are really working hard in school.
I can see both ways working and it just depends on what the guys want. I would probably want the college experience myself.

Emoni Bates is only 8 days older than Anthony Black and is a full year younger than the Thompson twins. He obviously can score the ball at an elite level. I still have faith in him. Where is he currently projected to go? I wouldn’t be surprised if he trends towards the late teens early twenties by draft time.

I think he gets in the later half of the 1st round, somewhere in the 20s, if a team isn't turned off by his attitude and off-court issues in the past year.

ote is horrible competition where nobody plays defense. that's why it was a smart decision for them to play there. because you are right that college exposes guys a lot more often than it elevates them. either don't play at all or go play somewhere where nobody cares to defend and the coaches don't care.

The OTE games are like glorified pickup games. It's like watching the player in a workout setting, basically. However, if the Thompsons look amazing in NBA workouts and shoot well enough in the shooting drills, teams will have confidence in them. It's no different than, say, Shaedon Sharpe last year.

The Thompson twins are working hard on their individual development. They're not just taking it easy playing in OTE.

I think star players want to make money. Prior to NIL, there weren't aboveboard ways to do that in the NCAA.

The OTE games are like glorified pickup games. It's like watching the player in a workout setting, basically. However, if the Thompsons look amazing in NBA workouts and shoot well enough in the shooting drills, teams will have confidence in them. It's no different than, say, Shaedon Sharpe last year.
These players are choosing not to become part of the NCAA money printing machine for the big conferences. I don't see a problem with that.
These guys can make basketball their career while earning a bit of money without NCAA rules such as practice time, etc hanging over their heads. Alot of these top prospects don't attend classes anyway.

I can see both ways working and it just depends on what the guys want. I would probably want the college experience myself.
That is how I would lean as well. Especially with NIL deals now. You get to be the big man on campus and enjoy these crazy nice athletic facilities while also making over 200k. These college facilities blow away anything these guys are getting in the gleague or some of these other leagues. The university of Utah basketball center is amazing and I'm sure it is nothing compared to some of these other schools.

These players are choosing not to become part of the NCAA money printing machine for the big conferences. I don't see a problem with that.
These guys can make basketball their career while earning a bit of money without NCAA rules such as practice time, etc hanging over their heads. Alot of these top prospects don't attend classes anyway.

I can understand that argument before but now they can take full advantage of that money printing machine. More so than playing anywhere else. Also I don't think that practice time rule is a downside because it doesn't mean you can't be at the facility more than that working on your game. There is really only so much actual organized practice that any player wants to do. In the nba they practice way less than any college team.

That is how I would lean as well. Especially with NIL deals now. You get to be the big man on campus and enjoy these crazy nice athletic facilities while also making over 200k. These college facilities blow away anything these guys are getting in the gleague or some of these other leagues. The university of Utah basketball center is amazing and I'm sure it is nothing compared to some of these other schools.
The downside would be dealing with some coach who decides to use you incorrectly or gives you less minutes because of some mid upperclassmen. Those guys aren't invested in the player's development like some other places would be.

I just won't ding anyone that is actually playing in some setting. The run and hide Dante Exum stuff is what I would worry about. Super rare. Shaeden worried me a bit last year but he's been pretty solid and shown some serious flashes.