What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

So if the Jazz loses out on Victor and Scoot, going 1 and 2. Who else is out there definitely worth pursuing?

Amen Thompson, GG Jackson, Nick Smith, Anthony Black, maybe Cam Whitmore and maybe Keyonte George. There's an outside chance that someone like Baba Miller or Dereck Lively turn out to be amazing, so maybe that's a remote possibility too. I say this as someone who isn't a believer in Dariq Whitehead yet.

Yeah there's a clump of wings after the top 2 guys. I think it's hard to really rank these guys right now:

Cam Whitmore, Villanova
Dariq Whitehead, Duke
Amen Thompson, OTE
Ausar Thompson, OTE
Brandon Miller, Alabama
Dillon Mitchell, Texas
GG Jackson, South Carolina

It will all depend on how these guys shoot. The only one I'm certain on is Ausar....he can't shoot.

So if the Jazz loses out on Victor and Scoot, going 1 and 2. Who else is out there definitely worth pursuing?
Currently I'd say Amen is the guy... once the season starts 1 or 2 guys will likely be pretty awesome and maybe 1 or 2 that fade... but right now Amen has some significant buzz.

Currently I'd say Amen is the guy... once the season starts 1 or 2 guys will likely be pretty awesome and maybe 1 or 2 that fade... but right now Amen has some significant buzz.

Amen needs to shoot at least like 77% at the FT line for people to believe in his shooting touch. If he can do that, then he's easily top-5 and might be the third guy in the draft.

Amen needs to shoot at least like 77% at the FT line for people to believe in his shooting touch. If he can do that, then he's easily top-5 and might be the third guy in the draft.
What if its 76%?

Unless he gets hurt or has some weird off the court stuff I think he is basically a lock to go top 5. Even if he shoots 64% from the FT line.

Yeah for sure. Also, there is some branding potential there with his first name as well similar to Zion if he ever played here.

Yeah for sure. Also, there is some branding potential there with his first name as well similar to Zion if he ever played here.
I think it is pronounced Ah-men not A-men... but still good.

Amen Thompson, GG Jackson, Nick Smith, Anthony Black, maybe Cam Whitmore and maybe Keyonte George. There's an outside chance that someone like Baba Miller or Dereck Lively turn out to be amazing, so maybe that's a remote possibility too. I say this as someone who isn't a believer in Dariq Whitehead yet.
I think Whitehead is closer to RJ Barrett then he is to Jaylen Brown. He's not a super fluid mover/athlete.

What do you think about Brandon Miller? He has been getting some buzz. I love Nick Smith.

I think Whitehead is closer to RJ Barrett then he is to Jaylen Brown. He's not a super fluid mover/athlete.

Whitehead's tape looks eerily like a young Harrison Barnes. He settles for jumpers, even very long jumpers, too much. His first step isn't great. He's not very explosive finishing at the rim. On top of that, he may measure out closer to 6'4" without shoes. So he'd be like Harrison Barnes, except nearly 3 inches shorter, or he'd be like Benedict Mathurin without the athleticism. At the moment, I could see him more in the 2nd half of the lottery. See what he looks like at Duke though. I think he'll shoot at least a bit better than RJ Barrett, but who knows...

At the moment, I'm more high on Keyonte George. He's giving me some Brad Beal and Tyrese Maxey vibes.

Last edited:
What do you think about Brandon Miller? He has been getting some buzz. I love Nick Smith.

I haven't watched him much. In order to be successful in the NBA, a wing needs to be able to drive the ball with force. Brandon Miller is pretty skinny and I don't know if he'll be able to match the physicality of high-caliber wings in the NBA. He's obviously very young and has some development ahead of him. If he doesn't develop much more physically, he may float around the perimeter the way guys like KZ Okpala, Louis King and Ziaire Williams have. It would limit his upside, but he'd still be a complementary player, imo.

If he can really develop his ball skills and play like a big guard, that would be very cool too, but right now he doesn't move or play like a guard. Brandon Miller isn't super young, unlike some other wings in this draft.

I haven't watched him much. In order to be successful in the NBA, a wing needs to be able to drive the ball with force. Brandon Miller is pretty skinny and I don't know if he'll be able to match the physicality of high-caliber wings in the NBA. He's obviously very young and has some development ahead of him. If he doesn't develop much more physically, he may float around the perimeter the way guys like KZ Okpala, Louis King and Ziaire Williams have. It would limit his upside, but he'd still be a complementary player, imo.

If he can really develop his ball skills and play like a big guard, that would be very cool too, but right now he doesn't move or play like a guard. Brandon Miller isn't super young, unlike some other wings in this draft.

I know you liked Brandon Boston Jr. in 2021 . What do you think so far ?

I know you liked Brandon Boston Jr. in 2021 . What do you think so far ?

He hasn't played many meaningful minutes. The Clippers have a very deep rotation. I liked him as a pickup in the 2nd round a couple years ago. He was more or less rotational when he played last year.

Whitehead's tape looks eerily like a young Harrison Barnes. He settles for jumpers, even very long jumpers, too much. His first step isn't great. He's not very explosive finishing at the rim. On top of that, he may measure out closer to 6'4" without shoes. So he'd be like Harrison Barnes, except nearly 3 inches shorter, or he'd be like Benedict Mathurin without the athleticism. At the moment, I could see him more in the 2nd half of the lottery. See what he looks like at Duke though. I think he'll shoot at least a bit better than RJ Barrett, but who knows...

At the moment, I'm more high on Keyonte George. He's giving me some Brad Beal and Tyrese Maxey vibes.
IIRC he measured in at 6'7" with a 6'9" wingspan at the NHS. I think he's a much better creator then Barnes was at the same stage, both for himself and for others, but not as good shooting the ball. RJ Barrett has this weird thing where he's just not super sudden off the ground or explosive either, that's what I've seen from Whitehead, he wins more with strength then explosiveness.

I like George as well, reminds me of a Brad Beal / Eric Gordon hybrid. There has been some positive buzz about Duke guard Tyrese Proctor as well, he might be a legit prospect. Mark Mitchel is another guy that I'll be keeping my eye on as well.

Based on the limited things I've seen and read, coming into the season I'd probably rank my top prospects as follows:

1. Victor Wembanyama | FC | France
2. Scoot Henderson | PG | G-League Ignite
3. Amen Thompson | GF | Overtime Elite
4. Nick Smith | CG | Arkansas
5. GG Jackson | F | South Carolina
6. Cam Whitmore | F | Villanova
7. Ausar Thompson | GF | Overtime Elite
8. Dariq Whitehead | GF | Duke
9. Dereck Lively | C | Duke
10. Keyonte George | CG | Baylor
11. Leonard Miller | F | G-League Ignite
12. Baba Miller | F | Florida State
13. Dillon Mitchell | F | Texas
14. Anthony Black | CG | Arkansas

I have high hopes for Anthony Black this season. He needs to show that he can run a team and assert himself as a lead ball handler, including late in games. He could be another prolific 6'7" lead guard with excellent feel for the game. If all else fails, that's a good foundational archetype to build with. I cautiously have him in my top 5 with Wemby, Scoot, GG and Amen. But Nick Smith is right there knocking on the door.

GG Jackson will start his NCAA freshman season as a 17 year-old. He turns 18 in mid-December. He's already listing at 6'9" (presumably in shoes) and 215 lbs. He could be a legit beast in a couple years. Better handle and body control than Siakam, imo.

Last edited: