What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

no gm ever knows the mind of any prospect, well enough, to confidently assume they have enough information, outside of proven skillsets in high floor options, to not consider the draft a crap-shoot after the sure fire high potential options are history.
No pick, after the higher tiers, outside of one used on a higher floor 3-5 year college player, is ever without risk that that kid won't develop no matter how much opportunity you give them either.

Except the Jazz had Dok at the top of their draft board, so they did pick the best available according to them. So, maybe not always.
Udoka was always going to have struggles with conditioning. No GM should ignore that type of thing, but there is always one that does based on the college production game.
He still has a small window of opportunity to be a end of roster type enforcer on the cheap. Was he worth a first rounder, nope.

Tony Jones seems to believe in Anthony Black playing at the 1. I've been a bit dubious due to his inconsistent shooting and scoring off the dribble. But if you want someone to move the ball, defend, plus finish at the rim, I guess it can work.

View: https://twitter.com/Tjonesonthenba/status/1632101300828614656

I can't see him being a primary ball handler much at the NBA level, except maybe he could be slotted as one next season for us. To see if he can become one. And if we are tanking from the first preseason tip, or for some weird reason planning on trading the Finnisher before he asks to be traded.
Black is not elite offensively in any way that I have seen. His defense is his only lottery level card, and if it were me, I would have to see significant improvement as a p/n ball handler after drafting him as the BPA late lottery, to expect him on ball much besides by committee. He isn't the next Giddey either imo, although that might be his style of play goals doesn't have the same vision.

I don’t think he’s currently projected as an NBA player but Tyler Kolek is one of my favorite players to watch in college basketball. 3rd in the country in APG with 8.0. Doesn’t score a ton but when needed he can score 20 with ease. Has 20 points (9/11) and 4 assists at half against #12 Xavier.
Bump. Last 3 games:

14/10, 21/10, 22/14
6 total turnovers
34/6 AST/TO ratio

I can't see him being a primary ball handler much at the NBA level, except maybe he could be slotted as one next season for us. To see if he can become one. And if we are tanking from the first preseason tip, or for some weird reason planning on trading the Finnisher before he asks to be traded.
Black is not elite offensively in any way that I have seen. His defense is his only lottery level card, and if it were me, I would have to see significant improvement as a p/n ball handler after drafting him as the BPA late lottery, to expect him on ball much besides by committee. He isn't the next Giddey either imo, although that might be his style of play goals doesn't have the same vision.
Anthony Black has great vision. He hasn't played well the last couple games..

Even Giddey normally plays off the ball when Shai is on the court, and Giddey is an elite passer.

Black has everything but the jumper. I still like him

I'd like NSJ a lot more if he wasn't allergic to contact. Hedl had a couple of 1 on 1 or 1 on 2 fastbreaks where you'd think he could finish strong at the rim or draw a foul, but he settled for tough pullups/floaters. He's a talented passer though and can get his shot off. Competes on D too

Listened to Vecenie on the Athletic talking about our guy Tay Henny… says he has him around 11/12 and after talking with some team personnel he think of there is a surprise top ten dude it will be him. Man I hope he’s on the board when we pick.