What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

I could see him being the guy that pops. I also could see him being an inefficient one way gunner. There are a few guys in that 10-18 guys that I could see surprising us.

I'll also say that Keyonte is one of the guys who is the easiest for me to see how he exceeds expectations. A lot of what he needs to improve on should come with age and experience. He's a capable passer, for example, just not a very willing one. I think if he has a good coach and gets in a good environment, he could be one of the next great scoring guards.

Part of this is also because offense is what gets players to the all star game, and I don't ever see him being a great defender, hence why I don't love him for the Jazz.

Yeah, at least on my big board that is the high variance range.
Watching Klay and Book in the playoffs has me thinking maybe Dick and Hawkins are both a bit underrated. Movement shooters just cause so many problems. I know those guys don't project to be as good as those guys but man Book didn't do much off the dribble in college and maybe there is a bit more to both of these guys.

If George was there at 16 I'd talk myself into him... even though i think Bufkin is the better prospect.

Watching Klay and Book in the playoffs has me thinking maybe Dick and Hawkins are both a bit underrated. Movement shooters just cause so many problems. I know those guys don't project to be as good as those guys but man Book didn't do much off the dribble in college and maybe there is a bit more to both of these guys.

If George was there at 16 I'd talk myself into him... even though i think Bufkin is the better prospect.

Nobody talks about him but Jett Howard is one of the best movement shooters in the draft.

Nobody talks about him but Jett Howard is one of the best movement shooters in the draft.
I like him okay. I think he got early hype then just kinda faded. The defense is pretty bad and he doesn't do much of anything other than shoot. Still the size and shooting combo is worth a bet at #16 imo. I like him better there than when some had him projected top 10. I also like guys with nba pedigree.

On Keyonte…He’s not my type of prospect but I do think the “chucked” type guards may be a little underrated. Maybe underrated isn’t the right word, but they seem to be good value lately.

As analytics and the 16 game player stuff has become more popular, I think these types of prospects have lost a lot of steam. They aren’t super efficient and don’t have great positional size and/or are a combo guard tweeter. What people want is the idea of someone like Anthony Black. Someone with positional size, versatility, and someone who can contribute in other ways besides scoring.

The bucket getter archetype isn’t something that is highly valued anymore, and for legit reasons, but it does seem like a lot of them are hitting. Simons, Poole, Maxey etc. It’s kinda similar to the standard rim running/rim protection big. I think, for example, Lively is going to be ranked higher in this draft class 10 years from now than he is now….but that’s because there’s not a big priority on bigs at the moment.

So I guess what I’m saying is that while the bucket getters aren’t the ideal player type and likely never will be, they have a good shot of contributing in some capacity.

I was sort of daydreaming for a moment late yesterday and had a weird thought. "Is it possible that Brandon Miller isn't even the best Miller in this draft?" What about Leonard?

On Keyonte…He’s not my type of prospect but I do think the “chucked” type guards may be a little underrated. Maybe underrated isn’t the right word, but they seem to be good value lately.

As analytics and the 16 game player stuff has become more popular, I think these types of prospects have lost a lot of steam. They aren’t super efficient and don’t have great positional size and/or are a combo guard tweeter. What people want is the idea of someone like Anthony Black. Someone with positional size, versatility, and someone who can contribute in other ways besides scoring.

The bucket getter archetype isn’t something that is highly valued anymore, and for legit reasons, but it does seem like a lot of them are hitting. Simons, Poole, Maxey etc. It’s kinda similar to the standard rim running/rim protection big. I think, for example, Lively is going to be ranked higher in this draft class 10 years from now than he is now….but that’s because there’s not a big priority on bigs at the moment.

So I guess what I’m saying is that while the bucket getters aren’t the ideal player type and likely never will be, they have a good shot of contributing in some capacity.
We also kinda desperately need players for the build that can create on the ball. Keyonte has also shown crazy flashes as a passer.

I know it kinda goes against the grain of who he is as a player, but just getting him to clean up his shot selection could be at the core of all of his shortcomings. The difficulty of his shots are kinda nuts and it’s kinda nuts that he has been efficient as he has been considering that.

I was sort of daydreaming for a moment late yesterday and had a weird thought. "Is it possible that Brandon Miller isn't even the best Miller in this draft?" What about Leonard?
That is a wild thought and you can go ahead and bury it... but I'm really kind of loving Leonard as a prospect. Just so damn productive in the G League... long and active. Maybe some Pascal potential there. If we go with Dick or a pg at 9 I think Leonard at 16 would be a nice fit.

I've been hesitant with Leonard Miller. His feet are a bit slow, and I think that's going to hold him back. It's not as bad as Noah Vonleh, but a bit similar. I think he needs to show that he can adapt to NBA speed in order to be considered a starter. I don't see him getting picked in the top half of the 1st round. If he can play at the 5, like Serge Ibaka eventually did, then I think he becomes really interesting.

Last edited: