What's new

2023 NBA Playoffs Discussion Thread

No benefit… besides the best asset in the deal and improve the one thing the Jazz were trying to find a way to improve all year?

The Jazz also gave the Lakers 0 actually good players. Getting rid of Russ was 70% of the improvement which did not require us.
Oh, and the Jazz cleared $23 million in cap space next year.

FuKlO-IXwAIEzri.jpg:large

This aged well
1682799711996.gif

How much money did Dillon Brooks just lose in this playoff series? Maybe the Lakers win either way, but I doubt the Grizzlies get spanked like they did had DB kept his bull **** under control.

I think the Grizzlies have already crested. I think they implode in the next three years.

How much money did Dillon Brooks just lose in this playoff series? Maybe the Lakers win either way, but I doubt the Grizzlies get spanked like they did had DB kept his bull **** under control.

I think the Grizzlies have already crested. I think they implode in the next three years.

You could be right about the Grizzlies, they are so young that I wouldn't go that far, but just shows how difficult it is to build a team in the NBA.

You could be right about the Grizzlies, they are so young that I wouldn't go that far, but just shows how difficult it is to build a team in the NBA.
There’s a survival bias involved here. I know that’s hard to fathom because the past however long was dominated by GSW and LeBron and the Warriors made it back again last year, and all that coming on the heels of the Lakers and Bulls, but in any case, we tend to look at the survivor and say “ah hah, of course.” The Bucks had some pretty embarrassing post-seasons where they weren’t taken seriously and then all the sudden they’re champions. Now they had another embarrassing post-season. The landscape changes quickly and every team’s title probabilities distribute like a bell curve and we assume that whatever outcome they just had is the mean and completely representative for who they are rather than appreciating that their performance exists within a reasonable range that may actually be pretty broad.

Tl;dr it’s really hard to make anything of anything. There’s a lot of difficulty in building a championship team but there’s also a lot of chance involved, even if the past 30 years have been dominated by only a handful of teams.

There’s a survival bias involved here. I know that’s hard to fathom because the past however long was dominated by GSW and LeBron and the Warriors made it back again last year, and all that coming on the heels of the Lakers and Bulls, but in any case, we tend to look at the survivor and say “ah hah, of course.” The Bucks had some pretty embarrassing post-seasons where they weren’t taken seriously and then all the sudden they’re champions. Now they had another embarrassing post-season. The landscape changes quickly and every team’s title probabilities distribute like a bell curve and we assume that whatever outcome they just had is the mean and completely representative for who they are rather than appreciating that their performance exists within a reasonable range that may actually be pretty broad.

Tl;dr it’s really hard to make anything of anything. There’s a lot of difficulty in building a championship team but there’s also a lot of chance involved, even if the past 30 years have been dominated by only a handful of teams.

I agree, and I think there is even more chance involved today than ever with the extra variance that the 3 ball Era has brought, along with the amount of injuries that are happening right now.

Teams need to balance waiting too long and losing value on their players vs being patient and getting past disappointing results in a positive/growing way.

I wouldn't say we got no benefit in return. We got a really good asset in the Lakers 27 first round pick, and we got worse and lost more games which improved our draft pick this year.

Not sure I believe that Lakers won't magically have a couple of stars on their team in '26 as they always do and we could've gotten worse in many other ways.

Taking on Westbrook's contract and then having to buy him out...I really don't see how that's to our advantage, either. And I don't see either Toscano or Jones as people playing NBA ball a year from now.

Phoenix vs Denver already off to a sizzling start..

Phoenix has Ayton for Jokic.

Denver has Gordon for Durant.

This is going to be a GREAT series.

Denver scary good. Jokic looking like he’s a man on a mission to proof people wrong.

He showed up defensively against Ayton too which was an eye opener.

Suns look gassed.

I don't think Monty's strategy of playing Durant/CP3/Booker 44+ minutes per night is a sustainable one.

I like the way Denver play. As a real team. Jokic dont even need to play the hero every single game, he make his teammate better. Wish a Boston-Denver final.