What's new

2023 NBA Playoffs Discussion Thread

Not to take anything away from Denver but did they play a healthy team in the playoffs?

it definitely helps to play teams missing key players. CP3 going down in the 2nd round. Then Wasn’t Herro averaging 20+ pts? What about Victor? That’s a lot of pts sitting on your bench.

If we could’ve played the clippers without Kawhi or Dallas without Luka…

I would like to see how Joker would function in the mid/late 90s early 2000s when the nba still had centers. It definitely helps that he doesn’t have to defend anyone outside of Embiid and Towns. How good would he have been against the Twin Towers? Shaq? Zo? Ewing/Camby?

From what I’ve read (and seen on YouTube) young Sabonis might be the best comp we have to Joker. And I think it was Pippen who talked about how Sabonis was the best center on the planet.

So happy for:

- Jokic (international, uncool, second to last pick in All Stars game draft despite being the reigning 2 time MVP)

- Murray (coming back from a near career ending injury)

- Aaron Gordon (bounced around, labeled as cant shoot)

- Michael Porter Jr (took a huge drop in the draft, and pay, due to an unfounded injury concern)

So this was a team full of players with a chip on their shoulders and wanted to prove others wrong.

Couldn’t happened to a more deserving team imo.

I didn't expect to feel much of anything this morning. I haven't really been actively cheering for or against the Nuggets in the playoffs, but I'm feeling extremely bitter about them winning a title before us.

We were right there a few years ago. That could have been us. It doesn't take a huge active imagination to think about the small things that would have needed to happen for us to be where Denver is this year.

A title currently feels so impossible and yet our closest NBA rivals just won. I'm irrationally angry about this.

So happy for:

- Jokic (international, uncool, second to last pick in All Stars game draft despite being the reigning 2 time MVP)

- Murray (coming back from a near career ending injury)

- Aaron Gordon (bounced around, labeled as cant shoot)

- Michael Porter Jr (took a huge drop in the draft, and pay, due to an unfounded injury concern)

So this was a team full of players with a chip on their shoulders and wanted to prove others wrong.

Couldn’t happened to a more deserving team imo.
To be fair, three major back surgeries in five years is doesn't count as "unfounded". What mattered was Denver gave him time to heal.

I didn't expect to feel much of anything this morning. I haven't really been actively cheering for or against the Nuggets in the playoffs, but I'm feeling extremely bitter about them winning a title before us.

We were right there a few years ago. That could have been us. It doesn't take a huge active imagination to think about the small things that would have needed to happen for us to be where Denver is this year.

A title currently feels so impossible and yet our closest NBA rivals just won. I'm irrationally angry about this.
I've felt this championship more than most. It hurts. Happy for Denver, they deserve it. But it hurts.

I've felt this championship more than most. It hurts. Happy for Denver, they deserve it. But it hurts.
I still put that on Quin. Malone and Spo showed that coaches who can at least change up things a bit have success. Miami changed up things a bit in Game 2 and Denver came back and punched them. Not to mention just Miami all but dismantled the EC in the process of getting to the Finals (which might be one of the single best coaching jobs in the history of the league) just shows what could have happened if Quin wasn't such a myopic turd in terms of adjustments.

I still put that on Quin. Malone and Spo showed that coaches who can at least change up things a bit have success. Miami changed up things a bit in Game 2 and Denver came back and punched them. Not to mention just Miami all but dismantled the EC in the process of getting to the Finals (which might be one of the single best coaching jobs in the history of the league) just shows what could have happened if Quin wasn't such a myopic turd in terms of adjustments.
It’s a collective effort.

Rudy and Don’s failures to put aside egos and work together was catastrophic. Both have glaring deficits in their games too. Rudy refused to develop an offensive move or jumper and Don just plain refuses to play defense.

The FO failed to recognize that which fans knew 5+ years ago. Royce wasn’t the defensive wing you needed for a championship team. They had years to address this and never did. That 2021 summer was just appalling. Denver shook things up a bit. Lost Grant but gained Gordon. Bruce Brown was a key addition. Wasn’t he a free agent this last year and was picked up for pennies? The Conley trade was an epic failure. He could never stay healthy when it counted and we gave up too many assets to obtain him.

I think to win a ring you have to get super lucky with matchups, but Utah never had anyone like Jokic who stepped up on both ends to elevate their game. If Mitchell could have raised his D like Jokic does in the PO maybe we win a ring.