What's new

2023 Trade Rumors and Gossip Involving the Jazz

Franchises will tank for years to have a chance at having players like Durant, Booker, and Beal. I don’t think it will work out for them, but I don’t understand how people can be so in favor of tanking and so against going all in. It doesn’t matter if the bad years come before or after a title chase, chances are it will be both anyways.

Even when the Lakers did win a championship people started to question if it was worth it because they gave up so many assets. That stuff is crazy to me.

The Jazz do not want to be bad this coming season. We have no point in trying to tank with 0 picks. We're going to be very active this offseason
We have our own pick if we tank. It just gets pushed to the following year.

It feels like people are making the forgone conclusion that we WILL under all circumstances lose that pick this next season. Not true. It's top 10 protected. If we ended with a bottom 5 pick, then neat! Perhaps the following year we make the playoffs and don't care about losing the 22nd pick.

Franchises will tank for years to have a chance at having players like Durant, Booker, and Beal. I don’t think it will work out for them, but I don’t understand how people can be so in favor of tanking and so against going all in. It doesn’t matter if the bad years come before or after a title chase, chances are it will be both anyways.

Even when the Lakers did win a championship people started to question if it was worth it because they gave up so many assets. That stuff is crazy to me.
Banners fly forever... its why I said they better win it over the next couple years. The issue is even the most aggressive franchises are spooked by the new cba... and a new owner just did double birds and screamed yolo in its face. If it works great... but he isn't getting prime KD... we've already seen him struggle to stay on the court. Beal in a vacuum is a fine deal... actually kinda killed it... but Book and KD had almost no chemistry last year... not sure Beal will build on that... he's had his own struggles.

I have no issue with going for it... but this kind of bet is like betting the next 10-15 years of your franchise on a short window. And owners tend to be real aggressive to start on this stuff... then the money starts flowing and they start to clam up a bit... lets see how firm they are in the commitment.

If it was just the draft picks they owe they are giving up that's okay... This route will end up with their 2030 and 2031 picks being frozen. So you are looking at a 2-3 year window and receiving zero benefit for your picks for 10 years. They may have to go 8 years in teh Brooklyn Nets no man land before starting the rebuild.

Again... win a title and it was all worth it. One Booker or KD knee injury and they are hosed.

I think Ausar has a higher upside due to the primary scoring potential, but I would take Bilal as his overall potential fits the Jazz's team construct better. He's also 1.5 years younger. Also think Ausar has a higher bust potential seeing as he has spent the last 2 years practicing more than he has challenging himself w/ real game environments.
That is how I'm leaning as well between the 2. Bilal is just so damn intriguing with his size, length and athleticism plus I wouldn't be shocked to see him grow another inch or 2. I think I would feel pretty comfortable with either guy at 9 though of it ends up that way.

We have our own pick if we tank. It just gets pushed to the following year.

It feels like people are making the forgone conclusion that we WILL under all circumstances lose that pick this next season. Not true. It's top 10 protected. If we ended with a bottom 5 pick, then neat! Perhaps the following year we make the playoffs and don't care about losing the 22nd pick.
I think there is a very good chance that next year we make a ton of progress in the team building and talent developing department and still end up in the top 10. The west is brutal with quality teams and I expect the spurs and rockets to be extremely active in free agency to bring in talent.

That is how I'm leaning as well between the 2. Bilal is just so damn intriguing with his size, length and athleticism plus I wouldn't be shocked to see him grow another inch or 2. I think I would feel pretty comfortable with either guy at 9 though of it ends up that way.
Out of the two I’m going Bilal as well. They are both lengthy athletic freaks with poor shooting. But, one is more than a year younger and has a chance to be an even more lengthy athletic freak.

Givony says that either Detroit or Utah could take Jarace Walker at #5 (Jazz trading up in this scenario), else Indiana would take Walker at #7.

He says Cam Whitmore is starting to slip and could be available at #9 to Utah. The implication here is that Indiana would take Hendricks at #7 over Whitmore.

Also, a report came out today saying that James Harden is leaning towards staying with Philadelphia. Probably he's just playing both sides for a new contract, but this makes it more likely that Amen is back to being the guy at #4.

View: https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1670976050229116929

Last edited:
There’s another ESPN guy casually talking about us moving up to 5 - it seems like there’s a solid chance of it at this point. Question is, who is our actual target there? I’d prefer just getting Whitmore at 9 in this scenario

I’m more scared about what we had to give to get up to 5. I hope it isn’t too many 1st rounders.

Last week, Wojnarowski was reporting that the Jazz could have the ability to trade up and get "their guy," assuming he's not going to fall to #9. It's sounding as though the Jazz could trade up for either Walker or Whitmore, which would make some sense.

If the Jazz stay at #9, it's looking like the options would be Whitmore and Coulibaly. I wonder if the Jazz would pass on Whitmore for Coulibaly. A few weeks ago, that would have sounded absurd.

Jazz reportedly have also been trying to package 14 + 28 to move up a few spots to take a guard -- e.g., Bufkin or Hood-Schifino. If we liked Keyonte George, it's sounding as though he's likely to be available at #16.

Last edited:
Last week, Wojnarowski was reporting that the Jazz could have the ability to trade up and get "their guy," assuming he's not going to fall to #9. It's sounding as though the Jazz could trade up for either Walker or Whitmore, which would make some sense.

If the Jazz stay at #9, it's looking like the options would be Whitmore and Coulibaly. I wonder if the Jazz would pass on Whitmore for Coulibaly. A few weeks ago, that would have sounded absurd.

Jazz reportedly have also been trying to package 14 + 28 to move up a few spots to take a guard -- e.g., Bufkin or Hood-Schifino.
Bilal over Cam? Ha ha ha. How is that even a question? CAM!!!