What's new

2024 annual Jazzfanz All time jazz draft

Of course he’s gonna get switched onto guarding SF at some point.

But who’s the other guy guarding SF 67% of the time then?

On your team it’s gonna be 6’3 Jerry West.
The math ain't mathin brotha.

Kobe would be a primary 3, so he'd be guarding the 3 for the majority of the time, not the other way around lol.

Btw, his rookie year Kobe played the 4 5% of the time.

Either way, there's a lot of interchangeability with my lineups. I could run small, I could run a traditional lineup. People seem to think Josh Smith was a scrub but I could start him, and he'd be elite defensively.

The math ain't mathin brotha.

Kobe would be a primary 3, so he'd be guarding the 3 for the majority of the time, not the other way around lol.

Btw, his rookie year Kobe played the 4 5% of the time.

Either way, there's a lot of interchangeability with my lineups. I could run small, I could run a traditional lineup. People seem to think Josh Smith was a scrub but I could start him, and he'd be elite defensively.
So if Kobe is guarding SF the majority of the time (which he is not accustomed to).

That means the 6’3 Jerry West will also need to be guarding some 3 too right?

So if Kobe is guarding SF the majority of the time (which he is not accustomed to).

That means the 6’3 Jerry West will also need to be guarding some 3 too right?
Donovan Mitchell played the 2 the entirety of his career (over 58% of his time on the court in his career is spent at the 2 slot), and has guarded 3's only 1% of his time 3 seasons on the floor. You tell me.

Donovan Mitchell played the 2 the entirety of his career (over 58% of his time on the court in his career is spent at the 2 slot), and has guarded 3's only 1% of his time 3 seasons on the floor. You tell me.
Ok man, good luck to you.

I still think a 6’0 CP3 , 6’3 West and 6’6 Kobe will make you one the smallest backcourt defensively in this comp.

Ok man, good luck to you.

I still think a 6’0 CP3 , 6’3 West and 6’6 Kobe will make you one the smallest backcourt defensively in this comp.
Quick fix. Penny at the 2, Jerry West off the bench. Hell, I could even go with CP3 off the bench and start Jerry. I got plenty of versatility with my wildcard lineups. We are orientated for any matchup. Running 30 sims is really going to tell who wins this pissing contest though.

Last but not least. Those three you just mentioned have over 20 All Defensive Teams combined.

Of course he’s gonna get switched onto guarding SF at some point.

But who’s the other guy guarding SF 67% of the time then?

On your team it’s gonna be 6’3 Jerry West.
I forgot to answer this question bro, my bad.

The answer is Ron Harper (Who would play the 2 @ 6'6), Rick Fox and Glen Rice, maybe Horry and likely Devean George. It definitely wasn't NVE or Fisher, lol. I'll go back to the LAL roster during that time, and do my homework but I'm sure there were matchup scenarios that were the cause for Kobe playing a number of minutes at SF. Kobe in the twilight of his career played almost all of his minutes at the 3, so for him to be able to hold himself down in the modern era at the 3 he should have no issue logging heavy minutes there in his athletic prime.

During the Gasol-Kobe era you had Shannon Brown and Sasha Vujacic.

And this is also per Wikipedia.
In the NBA, small forwards typically range from 6' 6" (1.98 m) to 6' 9" (2.06 m); in the WNBA, they are usually between 6' 0" (1.83 m) to 6' 2" (1.88 m). This puts them at the average height of all professional basketball players because they are taller than the guards, but shorter than the power forward and center.
In the NBA, shooting guards usually range from 6 ft 3 in (1.91 m) to 6 ft 7 in (2.01 m) while in the WNBA, shooting guards tend to be between 5 ft 10 in (1.78 m) and 6 ft 1 in (1.85 m).
Kobe 6'6, The Logo is 6'3. Looks like I'm right on the money, :p

Last edited:
I forgot to answer this question bro, my bad.

The answer is Ron Harper (Who would play the 2 @ 6'6), Rick Fox and Glen Rice, maybe Horry and likely Devean George. It definitely wasn't NVE or Fisher, lol. I'll go back to the LAL roster during that time, and do my homework but I'm sure there were matchup scenarios that were the cause for Kobe playing a number of minutes at SF. Kobe in the twilight of his career played almost all of his minutes at the 3, so for him to be able to hold himself down in the modern era at the 3 he should have no issue logging heavy minutes there in his athletic prime.

During the Gasol-Kobe era you had Shannon Brown and Sasha Vujacic.

And this is also per Wikipedia.
Yeah so you’ve just helped me prove my point.

Kobe had Harper, Fox, Rice, Horry and George on the team to throw at opponent’s SF.

Your team has Jerry West and Penny.

Yeah so you’ve just helped me prove my point.

Kobe had Harper, Fox, Rice, Horry and George on the team.

Your team has Jerry West and Penny.
Put some respect on J-Smoove. Was a DPOY candidate 6 years in a row.
And Penny is 6'7. Don't make me do ALL the homework for you.

I won't accept anymore Josh Smith slander. The man had the following as career highs.

Rebounds: 22
Assists: 12
Steals: 7
Blocks: 10
And 3 Triple Doubles.

How tall was Jeff Hornacek btw?

Last edited:
Yeah but in your lineup you had Smith playing behind Kobe and Penny.

And isn’t Smith more of a 4?
Josh Smith is a hybrid forward.

That lineup I put out isn't final, as lineups change per matchup.

How tall was Jeff Hornacek?

And Penny's best years were playing the point, but he was also a player that could switch to multiple positions as his height allowed it. You can see that through the years that he would have seasons where played the point, 2, and 3. He was a respectable perimeter defender.

@gandalfe Just wanna let you know that you got the absolute steal of this draft more than likely. If I were you I would run Pettit heavy minutes because he's a stretch big that can score anywhere on the floor in the sim. He's also an elite rebounder (Averaged 20/20 in a season, alone). Bob Pettit was arguably the prototypical stretch 4, as he was the one guy in the 50's and 60's hitting shots from everywhere on the floor. Congratulations for landing the man that was able to beat Bill Russell's Boston Celtics in the heyday of their dynasty run.

Btw: Bob Pettit dropped 50 on Bill Russell and the C's to put the bookend on the 1958 NBA Finals.

@The Fresh Prince

How many minutes are you allocating Kobe, Penny and Smith at the SF spot?

None of whom played primarily at the 3 in their careers I might add.. lol..
You have got to be ******** me. Lol Smith had seasons where he played 80% of the season at SF. Penny and Kobe also had seasons where they played a majority of their minutes at SF. You've been on basketball reference, so you should be able to look this stuff up. I told you where to look Mr. Midnight. Let's not act like the SF position is some uncharted territory for any of the above players, as it's not.

Jesus, I feel like I'm arguing with a woman here. Even after statistical data has been given to you, you still wanna be right! lol, dammit man. And we're having this argument when we are in the era where "positionless basketball" exists. That is where we have a gray area, because if my team can outpace the other team, how can they keep up with the sheer athleticism, and elite defense of my lineup? My most inferior defender is Kevin Love, and Love was a respectable interior defender (yet he was pretty *** on the perimeter). But that is where you enter guys such as Josh Smith to play off the weakside (which was one of his strengths was getting chasedown blocks, and blocks from the weakside).

You have got to be ******** me. Lol Smith had seasons where he played 80% of the season at SF. Penny and Kobe also had seasons where they played a majority of their minutes at SF. You've been on basketball reference, so you should be able to look this stuff up. I told you where to look Mr. Midnight. Let's not act like the SF position is some uncharted territory for any of the above players, as it's not.

Jesus, I feel like I'm arguing with a woman here. Even after statistical data has been given to you, you still wanna be right! lol, dammit man. And we're having this argument when we are in the era where "positionless basketball" exists. That is where we have a gray area, because if my team can outpace the other team, how can they keep up with the sheer athleticism, and elite defense of my lineup? My most inferior defender is Kevin Love, and Love was a respectable interior defender (yet he was pretty *** on the perimeter). But that is where you enter guys such as Josh Smith to play off the weakside (which was one of his strengths was getting chasedown blocks, and blocks from the weakside).
LOL by all means roll out Cp3, West, Kobe lineup bro, it’s your team.

In my opinion that’s too small a lineup defensively, especially for this comp.

But that’s just me.

Josh Smith is a hybrid forward.

That lineup I put out isn't final, as lineups change per matchup.

How tall was Jeff Hornacek?

And Penny's best years were playing the point, but he was also a player that could switch to multiple positions as his height allowed it. You can see that through the years that he would have seasons where played the point, 2, and 3. He was a respectable perimeter defender.
Just out of curiosity, are you choosing Penny’s point guard year or shooting guard year when you plan to have him defend SF?

Back