What's new

2024 NBA Draft Mega Thread

You can see the appeal in a highlight video. It's when I watch him in a full game that I'm utterly underwhelmed. The good thing is... it seems like he's having an efficient season this year. OK, here's a question - is he better prospect than Coulibaly?
Yes… but I also don’t believe Bilal is French Scottie Pippen.

Vecenie's co-host took Justin Edwards at 28 for the Jazz. Says he moved back into the first round for him based off his defense and role player potential with his set shot + potential upside given how much people liked him in HS.

Vecenie does not have him as a first rounder and disagreed about the defense. Sam says he would have taken Furphy.

I was totally out on Edwards, but he did have a solid role player season in SEC play once his role got reduced. I wouldnt be mad at 28, but I would definitely take Furphy over him.

*Also, Edwards will be 21 in December, so pretty old for a Freshman. Doesnt really inspire confidence for him to breakthrough and reach the potential people once thought he had. Might have just been a year older kid dominating HS because he was a year older.

Last edited:
Biggest question with Furphy is physical development IMO....besides the shot of course. I don't think he will ever be a creator on offense like Franz, but he is an excellent play finisher around the basket. Plays super hard, but he needs more size to be competitive on defense.

Furphy is shooting 80% at the basket on decent volume+high FTr.....75% of those are assisted but that's still insane.

Biggest question with Furphy is physical development IMO....besides the shot of course. I don't think he will ever be a creator on offense like Franz, but he is an excellent play finisher around the basket. Plays super hard, but he needs more size to be competitive on defense.

Furphy is shooting 80% at the basket on decent volume+high FTr.....75% of those are assisted but that's still insane.
He’s going to touch a boob and sprout a chest hair this summer and it’s over. He looks to me like he has the frame that can add muscle but maybe that’s cuz he looks like he’s in middle school. If he actually went in the 20s in this draft I’d be shocked and I’d be all over it.

He’s going to touch a boob and sprout a chest hair this summer and it’s over. He looks to me like he has the frame that can add muscle but maybe that’s cuz he looks like he’s in middle school. If he actually went in the 20s in this draft I’d be shocked and I’d be all over it.

I think the first couple of seasons could be rough until he puts on some size. One thing that was very apparent from watching Scottie Pippen Bilal play this season is that all of the athleticism in the world can get countered by a bump if you're that skinny.

Vecenie's co-host took Justin Edwards at 28 for the Jazz. Says he moved back into the first round for him based off his defense and role player potential with his set shot + potential upside given how much people liked him in HS.

Vecenie does not have him as a first rounder and disagreed about the defense. Sam says he would have taken Furphy.
I don't hate Edwards but I would be pretty pissed if we passed on Furphy. Cool thing is with those two picks we own we could theoretically get both (I feel like one of those picks will be moved).

I don't think Furphy last until 28. I listened to the pod and think they reach a bit for need with some picks and I think FO don't necessarily draft for immediate need like that.

I feel like Furphy's floor is probably the clippers pick that is going to the thunder.

Both host like Williams, but both said he has dropped for them. Dont like his demeanor/assertiveness. That being said, both host said his floor was 10th.

Sam notes Cody Williams has never been a pullup shooter. Never even took them in HS. Makes @Ferguson_Mellochill comp to Brandon Ingram even more hilariously bad.

Williams is a decent shooter from mid-range. He hasn't needed to take pull-up Js off the dribble because at the level of competition he's faced he gets deep in the paint, or all the way to the rim. He's long enough just to shoot over his defender from within 5 feet. The Ingram comp isn't a perfect comp, but Williams has a scenario where he has that type or role and impact in the league, and even potentially better since he's more of a driver than Ingram.

Williams has been mocked in the top 4 all season prior to his recent injury. He's been more passive an disengaged in Colorado's offense since he returned, but I wouldn't overreact to that.

Last edited:
I think the first couple of seasons could be rough until he puts on some size. One thing that was very apparent from watching Scottie Pippen Bilal play this season is that all of the athleticism in the world can get countered by a bump if you're that skinny.

Give him a couple years to develop. And no, he's not Scottie Pippen. Only Cy threw out that comp while he was wildly vacillating over who he likes.

I wish he didn't get all the way to the rim so easily. Then he'd shoot more pull-up jumpers and Sam Vecenie would have more to talk about. In all seriousness, Williams has more star potential than Risacher due to Williams' ability to operate off the dribble. If I'm drafting for the Jazz, I want upside, not just another rotational piece. The Jazz can find plenty of those.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mwoy16hEWg

Last edited:
Every year, Sam Vecenie writes about 10,000 words on the draft. He can tell you who has flexible hips and who doesn't, but he hasn't been great at picking out who has real upside. His co-host Adam Sims (or Coach Sims) last year had much cleaner and better takes than Vecenie did. Vecenie over-analyzes certain players, game by game, and often ends up with recency bias that hurts his ability to evaluate players with in-season injuries. Last year, he was iffy on Keyonte. He got intel that the Jazz liked him and he started changing his tune at the last minute. This year, it must be Williams, among others.

I'll bet the Jazz are high on Williams, Buzelis and Holland as dynamic wings in this draft, and I'll bet they'll make a play to trade up if they don't think one will be available to them.

Last edited:
I wish he didn't get all the way to the rim so easily. Then he'd shoot more pull-up jumpers and Sam Vecenie would have more to talk about. In all seriousness, Williams has more star potential than Risacher due to Williams' ability to operate off the dribble. If I'm drafting for the Jazz, I want upside, not just another rotational piece. The Jazz can find plenty of those.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mwoy16hEWg

Look you are allowed to like who you like and what not, but the excuses for why his individual creation scoring game lacks diversity is ridiculous.

Last edited: