What's new

2024 NBA Draft Mega Thread

Why draft Dillingham when you got Sexton AND George? I mean sure if he is clearly the BPA, but even if you do how does he get on the court when you already got 2 undersized combo guards who are poor defenders getting big minutes?

Because you don't know how good George or Dillingham will be. Sexton....if you think he's a for sure future piece then you might think about it, but the FO/coaching staff has slighted him at every turn. If George and Dillingham both become so good that it's actually a problem then what a great problem to have. You draft who you think the best player is, simple as that. If you can't decide between players, then you can start to look at fit.

Why draft Dillingham when you got Sexton AND George? I mean sure if he is clearly the BPA, but even if you do how does he get on the court when you already got 2 undersized combo guards who are poor defenders getting big minutes?
Yup. You really have to think Dillingham is not only BPA, but BPA by a substantial margin.

And that would be the case even if we didnt have those players. You just have to be extra sure on the small guys. You miss on them and it's a hard miss.

I love how Cy said he doesn’t understand the obsession with Dilly then a few posts later says he likes and maybe loves him. Master at playing both sides lmao.

Because you don't know how good George or Dillingham will be. Sexton....if you think he's a for sure future piece then you might think about it, but the FO/coaching staff has slighted him at every turn. If George and Dillingham both become so good that it's actually a problem then what a great problem to have. You draft who you think the best player is, simple as that. If you can't decide between players, then you can start to look at fit.
You are skipping steps. How do they get on the court year 1? Or are we just sending Dilly to G-League for the season?

Chances are we cant get rid of Clarkson either, unless we first play him significant minutes and let him prove he still got it.

Also, if you want to maximize Key and/or Sexton you really need a better offensive center. If we had that, Dilly would make more sense (still not much though).

I love how Cy said he doesn’t understand the obsession with Dilly then a few posts later says he likes and maybe loves him. Master at playing both sides lmao.
I understand stuff is hard to understand if you are on an 8th grade reading level who cant understand nuance.

You can enjoy watching a player and realize that they arent really ideal players to have on a championship contender.

You are skipping steps. How do they get on the court year 1? Of are we just sending Dilly to G-League for the season?

Chances are we cant get rid of Clarkson either, unless we first play him significant minutes and let him prove he still got it.

Also, if you want to maximize Key and/or Sexton you really need a better offensive center. If we had that, Dilly would make more sense (still not much though).

Skipping steps? You are worried about drafting one hypothetical player because he might not fit with another one of your players who is also hypothetical. That is skipping steps. I would agree that if you can't get them playing time, that could be a concern. But with Key/Sexton/Dilly there is plenty of minutes to go around. We're not trying to compete for the championship next year.

If Clarkson gets in the way of drafting who you think the best player is, maybe you've got to rethink your strategy and make sure to get rid of him. I'm not taking a worse player because of Jordan Clarkson, no way in hell.

Put it this way, what are you willing to do instead of taking a better player? If you don't think Dilly is a better player than the another guy who is another fit, then fine, but when picking for "fit" instead of "bpa" you are telling yourself you are willing to accept taking a guy who you think is worse.

Skipping steps? You are worried about drafting one hypothetical player because he might not fit with another one of your players who is also hypothetical. That is skipping steps. I would agree that if you can't get them playing time, that could be a concern. But with Key/Sexton/Dilly there is plenty of minutes to go around. We're not trying to compete for the championship next year.

If Clarkson gets in the way of drafting who you think the best player is, maybe you've got to rethink your strategy and make sure to get rid of him. I'm not taking a worse player because of Jordan Clarkson, no way in hell.

Put it this way, what are you willing to do instead of taking a better player? If you don't think Dilly is a better player than the another guy who is another fit, then fine, but when picking for "fit" instead of "bpa" you are telling yourself you are willing to accept taking a guy who you think is worse.
The skepticism over Dilly isnt about fit with the current roster. It's about the fit with ANY roster.

The skepticism over Dilly isnt about fit with the current roster. It's about the fit with ANY roster.

That is more fair point. That speaks to Dilly's worth as a prospect as a whole. That may be your skepticism, I would not say the same for others. I just don't agree that we should make a decision to not draft someone on the basis of Keyonte, and especially not on the basis of Jordan Clarkson.

How am I dealing with hypotheticals or skipping steps when you were the one who said "how good they end up being"?

I'm just worried he wont see the court and even if he does, it will be in very suboptimal setting (with another small combo guard and without a good offensive center).

I also said if he is the BPA it makes more sense. But he needs to be clearly the BPA as Cy pointed out.

So you say that you maybe love him but question his fit with any roster. That doesn't make any sense to me. Offensively he has a chance to be special. Defensively you just want to make sure that you have some solid defensive wings to help him out. I also don't think it is a given that he will be terrible defensively. He moves his feet very well so he should be able to stay in front of most guys if he puts in the effort and he has already shown a willingness to get in the weight room and work on his body to get stronger.

I think zero people would take someone who is a worse fit if we don't think they are a clearly better player. Every single person would take the better fit between two players who they see as equal. We don't need to talk circles around that.

I just don't believe Keyonte should have an impact on our draft. We don't know how he good he will be, and as I've said multiple times, if we have two players that are good enough to where there is an issue....that is a champagne problem. What you don't want to do is miss a on a good player because he didn't fit with a hypothetical version of a player on your roster. Nothing is guaranteed in the draft, you have to give yourself the best chance at getting the best player.

If you have a Donovan Mitchell or Rudy Gobert on roster, that is when you start to make those decisions, but you need to get those players first. The only guy who is a sure thing is Lauri who can play with literally anyone. If you think Sexton is that guy, maybe you think about it but I don't think the FO does.

So you say that you maybe love him but question his fit with any roster. That doesn't make any sense to me. Offensively he has a chance to be special. Defensively you just want to make sure that you have some solid defensive wings to help him out. I also don't think it is a given that he will be terrible defensively. He moves his feet very well so he should be able to stay in front of most guys if he puts in the effort and he has already shown a willingness to get in the weight room and work on his body to get stronger.
It makes sense if you actually read what I've been saying.

It's about making a fun roster vs a championship roster. I just dont think you can win at the highest level w/ a guy like Dillingham as your primary ball-handler/PG. Or at the very best, you can win with him but it would take such flawless roster construction that it wouldn't be practical.

I'm sure if you think hard enough you can name some players you like/liked watching and think are very talented but didnt have games that really translated to winning at the highest level.

I think zero people would take someone who is a worse fit if we don't think they are a clearly better player. Every single person would take the better fit between two players who they see as equal. We don't need to talk circles around that.

I just don't believe Keyonte should have an impact on our draft. We don't know how he good he will be, and as I've said multiple times, if we have two players that are good enough to where there is an issue....that is a champagne problem. What you don't want to do is miss a on a good player because he didn't fit with a hypothetical version of a player on your roster. Nothing is guaranteed in the draft, you have to give yourself the best chance at getting the best player.

If you have a Donovan Mitchell or Rudy Gobert on roster, that is when you start to make those decisions, but you need to get those players first. The only guy who is a sure thing is Lauri who can play with literally anyone. If you think Sexton is that guy, maybe you think about it but I don't think the FO does.
Particularly with the fact that Key is big enough to play the 1 and 2. Also we need to remember that Hardy is not a Sexton fan which increases the likelihood of moving him in the near future.

It makes sense if you actually read what I've been saying.

It's about making a fun roster vs a championship roster. I just dont think you can win at the highest level w/ a guy like Dillingham as your primary ball-handler/PG. Or at the very best, you can win with him but it would take such flawless roster construction that it wouldn't be practical.

I'm sure if you think hard enough you can name some players you like/liked watching and think are very talented but didnt have games that really translated to winning at the highest level.
You are acting like we already know what kind of player he will be. At this point we have no clue. If he were to turn into a Darius Garland caliber of player with the 8th pick you wouldn't consider that a home run? Right now we have a roster that is bottom 5 in the nba as far as talent goes so my priority is less roster construction right now and more about finding some potentially elite pieces. In the end I think this conversation is probably going to be a moot point because I don't think he gets past the spurs and if we jump into the top 4 I think we target other guys.

You are acting like we already know what kind of player he will be. At this point we have no clue. If he were to turn into a Darius Garland caliber of player with the 8th pick you wouldn't consider that a home run? Right now we have a roster that is bottom 5 in the nba as far as talent goes so my priority is less roster construction right now and more about finding some potentially elite pieces. In the end I think this conversation is probably going to be a moot point because I don't think he gets past the spurs and if we jump into the top 4 I think we target other guys.
Wait, are you telling me the draft is all about taking what we have and making projections?

giphy.gif

And idk, I watched the Cavs first round series, Garland didnt look that good (vs a team without great guard talent (and he's got an elite 2-guard who commands the better defender), but who has good guard size). We will see how he looks against a jumbo sized team w/ talent in the 2nd round.

Garland also weighs 190 and has a 6'5 wingspan, so a good measure bigger than Dillingham. Just do yallselves a favor and look at how many NBA players there are in the NBA under 180 lbs. Any success Dillingham has will be an outlier and for him to be highly succesfull in the playoffs would be an even bigger outlier. I think he can definitely become a great 6th man in the NBA and potentially a starter, but for him to be a top 10 PG in the NBA on a playoff team would mean the team is highly optimized around him and he really nailed his potential (becoming a foul merchant, excellent shooter, and passer (aka adopting the Trae Young style game).

Last edited:
With filipowski still middraft projection, similar to last season, curious if this suggests maybe the ‘24 draft is being undervalued. Or is it just the ceiling of filipowski is known and this draft will just be about drafting youth with potential? Curious what thoughts are on this from people smarter than I with draft analysis perspectives.

Otherwise if this draft is weaker I don’t know why filipowski is not higher. If there is a misconception this is a weak draft I love the idea of moving up and getting 2 picks this draft.

And idk, I watched the Cavs first round series, Garland didnt look that good (vs a team without great guard talent (and he's got an elite 2-guard who commands the better defender), but who has good guard size). We will see how he looks against a jumbo sized team w/ talent in the 2nd round.

Garland also weighs 190 and has a 6'5 wingspan, so a good measure bigger than Dillingham. Just do yallselves a favor and look at how many NBA players there are in the NBA under 180 lbs. Any success Dillingham has will be an outlier and for him to be highly succesfull in the playoffs would be an even bigger outlier. I think he can definitely become a great 6th man in the NBA and potentially a starter, but for him to be a top 10 PG in the NBA on a playoff team would mean the team is highly optimized around him and he really nailed his potential (becoming a foul merchant, excellent shooter, and passer (aka adopting the Trae Young style game).
Vecenie is doing a mock with his podcast partner and Dilly went #12 (haven't finished yet).

Jazz took Ron Holland in the mock.

I just think this draft is going to become a bit more about what guys do well rather than their flaws because so many guys have obvious flaws. I want to see the actual measurements on Rob. I'm not as sold as some on Key as the PGOTF. So if Dilly is there at #8 and Castle or others I might like more for fit are gone... I think he becomes the pick even if the fit sucks for now. I think you can bring him up in the 6th man super sub and give him more as he deserves it.

I also have a feeling we move Collin at some point. IDK the whole team is up in the air so I kinda think you take the best player. Rob is pretty talented so he might be a break the mold type.

Another factor on Rob is are they going to allow the type of defense they allowed the second half of the season and playoffs. Long term is there a change there with the officiating. If so smaller guys may find it a lot harder to be successful in the league.

Vecenie is doing a mock with his podcast partner and Dilly went #12 (haven't finished yet).

Jazz took Ron Holland in the mock.

I just think this draft is going to become a bit more about what guys do well rather than their flaws because so many guys have obvious flaws. I want to see the actual measurements on Rob. I'm not as sold as some on Key as the PGOTF. So if Dilly is there at #8 and Castle or others I might like more for fit are gone... I think he becomes the pick even if the fit sucks for now. I think you can bring him up in the 6th man super sub and give him more as he deserves it.

I also have a feeling we move Collin at some point. IDK the whole team is up in the air so I kinda think you take the best player. Rob is pretty talented so he might be a break the mold type.
Interesting. I've been feeling like Sexton is here long-term the more the season has passed after feeling like he was getting traded.