What's new

2024 NBA Draft Mega Thread

Another factor on Rob is are they going to allow the type of defense they allowed the second half of the season and playoffs. Long term is there a change there with the officiating. If so smaller guys may find it a lot harder to be successful in the league.
The pendulum is constantly swinging. It's never going to be one way.

Interesting. I've been feeling like Sexton is here long-term the more the season has passed after feeling like he was getting traded.
I think we end up tanking one way or another. Requires moving on of Lauri or Sexton. Maybe not though. I think it also depends on getting good offers for our guys. Ainge is so value based and it drives a lot of his deals imo.

Another factor on Rob is are they going to allow the type of defense they allowed the second half of the season and playoffs. Long term is there a change there with the officiating. If so smaller guys may find it a lot harder to be successful in the league.

The FT baiters seem to be eating really well these playoffs.

Either way, I think if refs allow more physical play, I'm not sure it truly favors any one type of player. Even if a guy doesn't shoot a lot of FT's I think more physicality can give him more struggles. For example, Jrue Holiday is well known to have massive drop-offs in efficiency during the playoffs but he does not go to the FT line much. Just off the top of my head, the lead guards in the playoffs who don't get to the FT line a lot are Jrue, Haliburton, Murray, Garland, Russell, McCollum, Herro. Do we see any trends there?

I'm not buying that at all. Small guys have thrived in every era. The talent always shines through in the end.

The FT baiters seem to be eating really well these playoffs.

Either way, I think if refs allow more physical play, I'm not sure it truly favors any one type of player. Even if a guy doesn't shoot a lot of FT's I think more physicality can give him more struggles. For example, Jrue Holiday is well known to have massive drop-offs in efficiency during the playoffs but he does not go to the FT line much. Just off the top of my head, the lead guards in the playoffs who don't get to the FT line a lot are Jrue, Haliburton, Murray, Garland, Russell, McCollum, Herro. Do we see any trends there?
Some of them. I think the first couple games of the playoffs were officiated differently than the last few games. Not that I think Dilly will be a FT baiter... its more about just being able to be physical with guys that are slight. In freedom of movement type era Dilly will be hard to contain.

Name the last primary option 6'1 player who has won a ring...
Tony Parker 2014?
Isiah Thomas 1990?

Curry is 6'2" no shoes...

The other question here is... do you need him to be the primary option. Can he be high volume secondary option(Kyrie? 6'1.75" no shoes)?

Tony Parker 2014?
Isiah Thomas 1990?

The other question here is... do you need him to be the primary option. Can he be high volume secondary option(Kyrie? 6'1.75" no shoes)?
I'm talking in shoes.

And all these guys are north of 180. (maybe not Zeke?)

Dillingham is not only short, he's also extremely light in the ***. I know he gained nearly 20 lbs from his OTE to UK year, but how much more can he get?

And I would still consider Kyrie a primary option. I dont think the primary/secondary/tertiary separators are 100% based on team context. Some teams run one primary, some run two.

But yeah, if every example of a 6'1(ish) lightweight player is a super-star, doesnt that also raise red flags? IF Dillingham isnt a star can he have a NBA role?

And idk, I watched the Cavs first round series, Garland didnt look that good (vs a team without great guard talent (and he's got an elite 2-guard who commands the better defender), but who has good guard size). We will see how he looks against a jumbo sized team w/ talent in the 2nd round.

Garland also weighs 190 and has a 6'5 wingspan, so a good measure bigger than Dillingham. Just do yallselves a favor and look at how many NBA players there are in the NBA under 180 lbs. Any success Dillingham has will be an outlier and for him to be highly succesfull in the playoffs would be an even bigger outlier. I think he can definitely become a great 6th man in the NBA and potentially a starter, but for him to be a top 10 PG in the NBA on a playoff team would mean the team is highly optimized around him and he really nailed his potential (becoming a foul merchant, excellent shooter, and passer (aka adopting the Trae Young style game.

I think you are obsessing too much over this weight thing. The kid has supposedly already put on aro15 to 20 pounds over the last year so he is getting bigger and is only 19. Here are some of the heights and weights listed at basketballreference or from the pre draft combine for some really good pg's over the years. I'm assuming most of the weights listed are prime weight because guys tend to thicken up as they get older.

John Stockton 6'1" 170 lbs
Isiah Thomas 6'1" 180 lbs
Mark Price 6' 170 lbs
Kevin Johnson 6'1" 180 lbs
Tim Hardaway 6' 175 lbs
Allen Iverson 6' 165 lbs
Steph Curry 6'2" 181 lbs ( predraft weight )
Tony Parker 6'2" 185 lbs
Chris Paul 6' 178 lbs ( predraft weight )
De Aaron Fox 6'3" 169 lbs ( predraft weight )
Mike Conley 5'11" 175 lbs ( predraft weight )
Isaiah Thomas 5'9" 186 lbs ( predraft weight )
Trae Young 6'1" 177 lbs ( predraft weight )
Immanuel Quickley 6'2" 185 lbs ( predraft weight )
Ja Morant 6'2" 172 lbs
Kemba Walker 6' 184 lbs ( predraft weight )

I think you are obsessing too much over this weight thing. The kid has supposedly already put on aro15 to 20 pounds over the last year so he is getting bigger and is only 19.
A lot of the guys you see add weight later in their athletic prime (so the 23-26ish range) are guys with huge frames that take time/work to fill out.

You arent going to see that out of Dillingham. If he's added 20 lbs from OTE to the end of UK, that's probably somewhat close to his weight potential (at least more so than your standard sized players)

And I dont think it's obsessing. It's an obvious marker. You simply dont see many players in the NBA who are under 180. Not that they cant exist. I'm not saying Dillingham is doomed to be out of the NBA after his rookie deal.

I would say his archetype is much closer to Kyrie than Trae. I wouldn't go out of my way to move up to draft him but if he is sitting there at 8 then he is certainly in the mix.
I think he might be in the mix at 4 as well.

Tony Parker 2014?
Isiah Thomas 1990?

We shouldn't be expecting anyone in this draft to be a primary option. There is no reason he can't be a solid starting pg though or an elite 6th man similarly to Jason Terry. I think we all would agree that getting a Jason Terry caliber of player with the 8th pick in this draft would be a homerun.

Some of them. I think the first couple games of the playoffs were officiated differently than the last few games. Not that I think Dilly will be a FT baiter... its more about just being able to be physical with guys that are slight. In freedom of movement type era Dilly will be hard to contain.

Whether the rules make it easier/harder to be physical, I'm still not sure it favors one player/body type than another. And that's just a general statement for things that become "more difficult" with rule changes. People say this about defense too. Defense is more difficult to play nowadays, does that make defenders less valuable? I think not. The added physicality will make it harder for the guys who are the best off the dribble, but also the guys who are not the best. Someone like Dame's efficiency may drop, but it could drop someone like Jrue completely out of the picture.

We need a lot of things before we worry about a title. Get the best players. About half the teams remaining have a shorty that is important to their team. I'd rather have a Garland than an Okoro.

I think we need to remember we have the 8th pick and stop getting too far ahead of of ourselves. On that same note, I love me some Josh Hart but I still want to start with Brunson. Even if you don't believe in small guys in the playoffs, you still want the best player this early in the process. You are not beholden to whoever you draft forever.

Let me ask you a question. If you were to come out of this draft with a Jason Terry caliber of player with the 8th pick would you be happy?
Caliber only refers to quality level, not stylistic impact.

Would I be happy to get a player of Terry's caliber. Yes.

Do I want a Jason Terry type player? Not really.