What's new

2024 NBA Draft Reaction Thread

Yeah pretty standard to resolve this via Twitter. Hard to argue that. Thanks.
If you are the parents you write "We are proud of our son for fulfilling his lifelong dream. Whatever differences we have can be resolved, but right now we just want to share his joy with his great accomplishment "

What happened here was extremely trashy. That doesn't mean the girlfriend isn't a problem too, but there is probably a reason why he is running from his family

If you are the parents you write "We are proud of our son for fulfilling his lifelong dream. Whatever differences we have can be resolved, but right now we just want to share his joy with his great accomplishment "

What happened here was extremely trashy. That doesn't mean the girlfriend isn't a problem too, but there is probably a reason why he is running from his family
This, right here

I hope people endlessly crying about "the lack of plan" for the past 1.5 years pause for a second and realize that during that time we drafted 6 solid rookies some of whom have star upside, while retaining our most valuable player assets (post Mitchell/Gobert) and taking care of the cap and adding future draft assets (LAL pick).

"Oh, oh, but John Collins!!"

Well not every swing is a hit. Besides adapting to a new team and/or role doesnt always translate immediately.

If my family member was the victim of grooming and his career was suffering for it I would 100% want people to know the real story.
Kyle's career was suffering by his family going to media to publicize the story, not by his girlfriend.

The media even acknowledged this and reported that Kyle would have gone higher on the board if it wasn't for his family stabbing on the kid's back with the story.

All we heard is this very one sided story coming from his so-called “family”. Have we heard anything from his coach? From his teammates? Staff at Duke? From the kid himself?

Kyle's had two years of good college basketball in one of the best programs in the nation while dating this woman. His coach and teammates loved him and had never once raised any concerns over his character, academics, professionalism, etc. Even if he was “groomed” so what? It's not like his life ever gone dark because of it.

I know people from the outside world has mixed views on Mormon but I thought as Utah fans we should’ve known better.

Last edited:
Kyle's career was suffering by his family going to media to publicize the story, not by his girlfriend.

The media even acknowledged this and reported that Kyle would have gone higher on the board if it wasn't for his family stabbing on the kid's back with the story.
His family only started commenting on it after Givony broke the story, and it was initally to say that he had a lot of facts wrong.

All we heard is this very one sided story coming from his so-called “family”. Have we heard anything from his coach? From his teammates? Staff at Duke? From the kid himself?
If you want to say we don't have all the facts, that's perfectly valid. Jumping down his family's throats when we probably have like 1% of the story and have no clue what's true and what isn't is just recklessly jumping to conclusions.

Even if he was “groomed” so what?
You can't be serious.

Last edited:
His family only started commenting on it after Givony broke the story, and it was initally to say that he had a lot of facts wrong.
Hmm... I wonder where Givony's story coming from. Who else could it be?
Jumping down his family's throats when we probably have like 1% of the story and have no clue what's true and what isn't is just recklessly jumping to conclusions.
Yet people jumped on Kyle and his girlfriend's throat when they didn't have the full story. What we do know is that his family decided to escalate and bring the story public when Kyle was going through one of the most important days in his life(the NBA draft) and it hurt him(his draft stock went down due to GMs concern over the story). The damage's been done and his family was responsible.
You can't be serious.
Yes I am serious. There's this thing called religious freedom. Should we boycott Tom Cruise too because he practices Scientology? Who genuinely gives a **** if the man is a amazing actor and makes good movies? We as fans are here to watch guys play ball. How they carry on their personal matters outside of the court is none of our business as long as it is not against the law or impacting their performance on the court. Like I said, Filip's played some of the best basketball in his life while dating this woman. His coaches and teammates didn't have any issue or concern for him. it should be his family's burden to prove why we should give a **** about this so-called “grooming” at all. But so far all they've accomplished is justifying Filip's decision to run away from them.

Last edited:
Hmm... I wonder where Givony's story coming from. Who else could it be?
From front offices. Who routinely do thorough checks on potential draftees. Givony literally said this.

Yet people jumped on Kyle and his girlfriend's throat when they didn't have the full story. What we do know is that his family decided to escalate and bring the story public when Kyle was going through one of the most important days in his life(the NBA draft) and it hurt him(his draft stock went down due to GMs concern over the story). The damage's been done and his family was responsible.
Once again: His family didn't bring the story public until Givony did.

Yes I am serious. There's this thing called religious freedom. Should we boycott Tom Cruise too because he practices Scientology? Who genuinely gives a **** if the man is a amazing actor and makes good movies? We as fans are here to watch guys play ball. How they carry on their personal matters outside of the court is none of our business as long as it is not against the law or impacting their performance on the court. Like I said, Filip's played some of the best basketball in his life while dating this woman. His coaches and teammates didn't have any issue or concern for him. it should be his family's burden to prove why we should give a **** about this so-called “grooming” at all. But so far all they've accomplished is justifying Filip's decision to run away from them.
Religious freedom doesn't justify an adult grooming a minor. And quite frankly, it's disgusting to argue otherwise.

From front offices. Who routinely do thorough checks on potential draftees. Givony literally said this.
And where did front offices get the story from?
Once again: His family didn't bring the story public until Givony did.
It'd be foolish to think media personnels can just go out there publishing stories however and whenever they want without permission from the source. And the fact that his family went public on social media quickly after the story was released tells you they were in the loop this whole time. And like many have said in this thread, why today? Why can't they just give the kid a break on this important day of his life but instead chose to come public to "correct" the facts and escalate the whole situation?
Religious freedom doesn't justify an adult grooming a minor. And quite frankly, it's disgusting to argue otherwise.

Again, why should we care? Did Filip himself break any law? Did his personal relationship have any impact on his game performances? I'd be worried if the guy isolated himself from everyone but he got along with his coaches and teammates just fine. His game improved year by year so no issues there either. So why should we care?

And where did front offices get the story from?
Once again: Front offices routinely do thorough checks on potential draftees. Givony literally said this. It probably wouldn't have been very difficult to uncover something like this.

It'd be foolish to think media personnels can just go out there publishing stories however and whenever they want without permission from the source.
Givony said he got this from front offices. Flip's brother said they never talked to Givony. Do you think they're both lying?

And the fact that his family went public on social media quickly after the story was released tells you they were in the loop this whole time. And like many have said in this thread, why today? Why can't they just give the kid a break on this important day of his life but instead chose to come public to "correct" the facts and escalate the whole situation?
Because today was the day the story became public, and contained false information they wanted to straighten out?

I mean, I don't know what's true and what isn't, but IF the grooming happened as they say, then them wanting to straighten the story out the day another person goes public with it does not seem unreasonable to me.

Again, why should we care? Did Filip himself break any law? Did his personal relationship have any impact on his game performances? I'd be worried if the guy isolated himself from everyone but he got along with his coaches and teammates just fine. His game improved year by year so no issues there either. So why should we care?
From a purely basketball standpoint, I don't care. My problem is when somebody tries to justify an adult grooming a minor because of "religious freedom". Do you think Warren Jeffs should be freed?

Once again: Front offices routinely do thorough checks on potential draftees. Givony literally said this. It probably wouldn't have been very difficult to uncover something like this.

Givony said he got this from front offices. Flip's brother said they never talked to Givony. Do you think they're both lying?

Because today was the day the story became public, and contained false information they wanted to straighten out?

I mean, I don't know what's true and what isn't, but IF the grooming happened as they say, then them wanting to straighten the story out the day another person goes public with it does not seem unreasonable to me.

From a purely basketball standpoint, I don't care. My problem is when somebody tries to justify an adult grooming a minor because of "religious freedom". Do you think Warren Jeffs should be freed?
Stop calling it grooming and use the term the brother actually said.. Mormon grooming. There is an undertone of bigotry here and if that’s the side you are taking then own it.

The family is accusing this girl of essentially being a gold digger and of pushing her religious beliefs on him. I don’t know how many Mormon girls having premarital sex you’ve met, but most probably aren’t pushing their religion too hard. But that is what his family is saying is happening here.

I don’t know if this girlfriend is right or wrong, but with what little we know this was approximately a 18 year old dating a 24 year old when they first met according to his mother.

I hope people endlessly crying about "the lack of plan" for the past 1.5 years pause for a second and realize that during that time we drafted 6 solid rookies some of whom have star upside, while retaining our most valuable player assets (post Mitchell/Gobert) and taking care of the cap and adding future draft assets (LAL pick).

"Oh, oh, but John Collins!!"

Well not every swing is a hit. Besides adapting to a new team and/or role doesnt always translate immediately.
I generally agree with you, but Collins was a pretty big misstep. If we can find landing places for Collins and Clarkson this off-season, I’ll feel very good about where we are at this stage of the rebuild.

I generally agree with you, but Collins was a pretty big misstep. If we can find landing places for Collins and Clarkson this off-season, I’ll feel very good about where we are at this stage of the rebuild.
I dont know if you are a tank fan or not, but if you are then you should definitely be happy we got him. Not because he sucks so bad he loses games, but his contract was probably the main reason we had to trade out Tech and KO.... which got us Collier and Flip and makes us worse for next year as well.

I don’t understand this story? Are they upset because he joined the church or what? What’s the deal with the girlfriend?

I don’t understand this story? Are they upset because he joined the church or what? What’s the deal with the girlfriend?
Some chick that Filipowski was close with as a child (5-6 year age difference) "started" dating him when he was 18. Apparently she is Mormon. Parents dont approve and Flip chose the girl over the family. Now the family is mad and trying to make him look bad.

Some chick that Filipowski was close with as a child (5-6 year age difference) "started" dating him when he was 18. Apparently she is Mormon. Parents dont approve and Flip chose the girl over the family. Now the family is mad and trying to make him look bad.
That seems petty of the family. Sounds like they drove him away and they blaming the girl and religion