What's new

2024 Paris Olympics

I'd have lot to say as bachelor of cultural studies, but as this is Olympics thread I won't dive into the politics/religion rabbit hole any more. If I'll come back with a slash, it'll be on organisers with this triathlon case and 1,5 billion investment to clean Seine... Like there is no other waters in France to have that triathlon open water swim on
Looping that bridge for the start- finish line has to be one of the most picturesque scene in sports though.

Sometimes the beauty is worth it, didn’t know it’s that expensive though.

Synchronize diving ‘s a weird one to me.

Why only for diving?

Why not synchronize gymnastic, walking, running, cycling, swimming, skateboarding, etc.

What makes diving so unique that you need a separate synchronization discipline?

Synchronize diving ‘s a weird one to me.

Why only for diving?

Why not synchronize gymnastic, walking, running, cycling, swimming, skateboarding, etc.

What makes diving so unique that you need a separate synchronization discipline?
It's odd to watch, but very impressive. Those others you listed are far easier to synchronize. But I always start laughing when I watch it. I think it just started as water dancing and progressed to this.

Side note I jokingly started synchronized Olympic weightlifting at my old gym. It was very entertaining for awhile. Watched some low level NFL guys come up with some entertaining lifts together. It gotten taken too far and some athletes we're putting themselves in position to get hurt so I had to pull the plug.

It's odd to watch, but very impressive. Those others you listed are far easier to synchronize. But I always start laughing when I watch it. I think it just started as water dancing and progressed to this.

Side note I jokingly started synchronized Olympic weightlifting at my old gym. It was very entertaining for awhile. Watched some low level NFL guys come up with some entertaining lifts together. It gotten taken too far and some athletes we're putting themselves in position to get hurt so I had to pull the plug.
It’s just weird that they get to double dip on the medals.. haha..

Another of my pet peeve is there are wayyyy too many swimming medals.. it really lopsided the medal totals imo..

I mean do you really need a medal for 50m, 100m, 150m, 200m, etc?

Compare that to say basketball or soccer where you play all the games for 2 weeks just for ONE medal.

Reactions: MVP
It’s just weird that they get to double dip on the medals.. haha..

Another of my pet peeve is there are wayyyy too many swimming medals.. it really lopsided the medal totals imo..

I mean do you really need a medal for 50m, 100m, 150m, 200m, etc?

Compare that to say basketball or soccer where you play all the games for 2 weeks just for ONE medal.
I dont mind all the matches but it does make the medal count lopsided. It seems these long competitions for teams should earn more medals. Maybe for bball and football you should get a gold for each starter or something.

I dont mind all the matches but it does make the medal count lopsided. It seems these long competitions for teams should earn more medals. Maybe for bball and football you should get a gold for each starter or something.
Right?

If you’re counting the medals then the Olympics is basically the race to get the most swimming medals.. lol..

I know there’s traditions and all that, but it needs to be fixed somehow.

Or maybe just don't give a **** about it. The olympics is as meaningless as sports gets.

Or maybe just don't give a **** about it. The olympics is as meaningless as sports gets.
Except guys like LeBron and KD value the gold medal probably more than your run of the mill NBA title..

That’s why they’re busting their asses to get out there when they could be chilling in the off-season.

And for other sports that are included, it’s easily the pinnacle of their achievements.

Walking another weird one to me.

They might as well rename it “Who can get away with running wins” event.

It’s really weird how Melbourne got to host it before Sydney.

Not really Melbourne was the richest city in the world up until the Second World War, also the sporting capital of the country, The Brisbane Olympics should have been in Melbourne but we got screwed by Kevin Gosper the Australian on the IOC.

Not really Melbourne was the richest city in the world up until the Second World War, also the sporting capital of the country, The Brisbane Olympics should have been in Melbourne but we got screwed by Kevin Gosper the Australian on the IOC.
What happened?

Back