What's new

24 Hours until that 17 million disappears.....

They have until midnight tomorrow. What the **** is Dennis waiting for?!

Use it or lose it!

giphy.gif

He must have seen this post. Good job!

Too bad Jazz didn't make this deal at the deadline last year. Swapping Rubio for Mack in the playoffs with Hill getting injured would have been great. Probably doesn't change any outcomes. . . but still.

Too bad Jazz didn't make this deal at the deadline last year. Swapping Rubio for Mack in the playoffs with Hill getting injured would have been great. Probably doesn't change any outcomes. . . but still.
Yes, but I think the idea was to still keep Hill...and by extension, convince Hayward to stay. Hill is likely still overvaluing himself- and may have kept his price high after hearing Hayward wanted him in the team. Jazz had zero leverage. They'll have to appeal to GH's common sense (does he really believe Hill is worth what Gordon or Rudy will be making?).

Still hoping there's one more move to be made before Monday.

Yes, but I think the idea was to still keep Hill...and by extension, convince Hayward to stay. Hill is likely still overvaluing himself- and may have kept his price high after hearing Hayward wanted him in the team. Jazz had zero leverage. They'll have to appeal to GH's common sense (does he really believe Hill is worth what Gordon or Rudy will be making?).

Still hoping there's one more move to be made before Monday.
Great points. I agree that I hope there's more moves yet to come. So far. . . DL went out and aggressively added two guys he really wanted in the draft AND Ricky Rubio before he lost his cap space asset. Gotta say that I'm happy with his moves for the 2nd year in a row. Bring back Hayward and Jingles and I'm really happy. Make a bold move for an upgrade beyond that and DL is a genius.

This board is hilarious. All the complaining in this thread about not using the cap space(because the Jazz are cheap), and then they use the cap space, and the reason they did was to save money.

Apparently the Jazz are cheap no matter what they do.

This board is hilarious. All the complaining in this thread about not using the cap space(because the Jazz are cheap), and then they use the cap space, and the reason they did was to save money.

I'm curious to see what Hill ends up getting. Think he has likely misjudged the market is pretty high at this point. If he comes back at a reasonable cost, I'd extend him and then possibly flip one of Rubio or Exum for a bigger move elsewhere. Still like Hill, but was never comfortable with giving him $20+ million per year. This move makes it so the Jazz don't feel pressured to make a bad deal. I'm very happy about that. Rubio is a solid NBA starter. Great get for a middling asset at best.

This

I'm curious to see what Hill ends up getting. Think he has likely misjudged the market is pretty high at this point. If he comes back at a reasonable cost, I'd extend him and then possibly flip one of Rubio or Exum for a bigger move elsewhere. Still like Hill, but was never comfortable with giving him $20+ million per year. This move makes it so the Jazz don't feel pressured to make a bad deal. I'm very happy about that. Rubio is a solid NBA starter. Great get for a middling asset at best.

Yep, this takes them out of a position of desperation, but still allows them to sign him if the price is right.

of course this can't be verified but having Hill, and of course with JJ and Diaw, this past season in a way the Jazz learned how to win.
This is akin to Lebron heading out to Miami to learn how to win.
So in a sense no regrets on trading for Hill even he does not re-sign with the Jazz this coming playoffs.

I would like to go ahead and point out that I was wrong and your opinion was $$$$. I was a fool for doubting Dennis Lindsey, and he pulled of a brilliant deal using the assets you detailed in a previous post.

I can't believe he got Rubio for the Oklahoma City pick!!! One of my biggest criticisms of Lindsey is that he got nothing for Kanter. This was a fantastic trade. I feel like the Twolves got fleeced. DL took full advantage of the situation. Good thing he's running the team and not me.

I would like to go ahead and point out that I was wrong and your opinion was $$$$. I was a fool for doubting Dennis Lindsey, and he pulled of a brilliant deal using the assets you detailed in a previous post.

I can't believe he got Rubio for the Oklahoma City pick!!! One of my biggest criticisms of Lindsey is that he got nothing for Kanter. This was a fantastic trade. I feel like the Twolves got fleeced. DL took full advantage of the situation. Good thing he's running the team and not me.
Wow, great post. Very refreshing.

If Utah signs Hayward - and let's say Ingles would stay at $12M - the Jazz would be around $5M into the tax. I think Lindsey would try to dump Burks at the deadline.

Trading for Rubio (which I applaud, BTW) is not without its risks. If Hayward leaves, the Jazz could only get down to about $85M (renouncing everyone they could, including Ingles). Only $14M won't buy them much. And then they'd have to fill out a couple of roster spots with vet minimum guys.

This is one aspect of the cap I disagree with. I think if you lose a player, you should be able to replace him with a player of equal salary. Keep the cap hold in place for that free agent and have it act as an exception.

If Utah signs Hayward - and let's say Ingles would stay at $12M - the Jazz would be around $5M into the tax. I think Lindsey would try to dump Burks at the deadline.

Trading for Rubio (which I applaud, BTW) is not without its risks. If Hayward leaves, the Jazz could only get down to about $85M (renouncing everyone they could, including Ingles). Only $14M won't buy them much. And then they'd have to fill out a couple of roster spots with vet minimum guys.

This is one aspect of the cap I disagree with. I think if you lose a player, you should be able to replace him with a player of equal salary. Keep the cap hold in place for that free agent and have it act as an exception.
Or just manage your cap and keep your free agents. If you lose a guy, then you should have traded him. No way the Jazz deserved to keep exceptions the year they let Al Jefferson and Paul Millsap leave. Or get an exception for a high priced guy like Richard Jefferson having his contract finally end. That would be a disaster for small market franchises.

After this thread, I am convinced Beantown is actually a Celtics fan and posts here when bored.

Or just manage your cap and keep your free agents. If you lose a guy, then you should have traded him. No way the Jazz deserved to keep exceptions the year they let Al Jefferson and Paul Millsap leave. Or get an exception for a high priced guy like Richard Jefferson having his contract finally end. That would be a disaster for small market franchises.

And what of Hayward? Jazz have managed their cap. They want to keep Hayward, But if he leaves, there's no way to replace him with a player that is even close.