What's new

24 Hours until that 17 million disappears.....

No matter what happens this has been the most exciting NBA off season ever at least from the Jazz perspective.

Hopefully next season is a little more exciting in the playoffs. Although last season was super fun as a Jazz fan until they lost to GS.

No matter what happens this has been the most exciting NBA off season ever at least from the Jazz perspective.

Hopefully next season is a little more exciting in the playoffs. Although last season was super fun as a Jazz fan until they lost to GS.

The Boozer/Okur summer was exciting. This is just nerve wrecking.

From a league perspective, sure, but I don't know about a Jazz perspective.

Just last year, trading for Hill and signing JJ was pretty sweet. If we get our guys back, to me it will be more of a relief than exciting.

That was a fun summer as well although I have enjoyed this one more. I love big trades in the NBA. Now if Jazz can get in on one ill be really happy.
And all the craziness of the draft. I agree it has been more exciting AND nerve-wracking.

In the end, if Hayward stays, all is good. Would DL be working this hard to make positive changes, would the Jazz board be willing to exceed the cap, IF losing Hayward wasn't a possibility due to standing pat or going cheap again?

TBH, I think that's what Hayward wants to see from any of the 3 franchises. And to date, Miami and Boston have a much better record of spending money and making trades to better their teams. Utah has paid the tax once (or was it twice)? And that was only to cover the Boozer to Millsap transition.

Or because no team wants to deal before free agency.

Sent from my A0001 using JazzFanz mobile app
Agree. As they say, it takes two to tango. What is the motivation of other teams to do a deal now? Wouldn't they want more bidders for their players? Unless there's a particular asset someone really, really wants from Utah, what's their motivation? If a trade now gave teams tax relief, only Cleveland and Portland would have reason to deal with Utah before July 1st.

So if you are above the cap you can't receive a sign and trade? I didnt know that.

Yeah, I did not know that either. I guess that is why sign and trades never happen anymore. There is no reason to.

But I would be pretty excited if we got Kyrie. He is not my favorite player but he is a legit all-star and we saw him step up in the finals last year.

Being over the cap doesn't prevent a S&T from happening. The rule is that the team must be under the apron when the trade is completed. The apron, I believe is about 6 million over the Tax this year. However, there is another rule that if the receiving team has used the tax payer MLE, they are not eligible to receive a S&t.

Starting in 2013-14, the team receiving the player cannot be above the "apron" ($4 million above the tax level) at the conclusion of the trade1, 2. A team above the apron can receive a player in a sign-and-trade if the trade reduces the team's payroll and the team finishes the trade below the apron.

Starting in 2013-14, the team cannot receive a player in a sign-and-trade if they have used the Taxpayer Mid-Level exception (see question number 25) that season.1
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q91

I'm guessing that Cleveland has used their TP MLE and therefore not eligible for an S&T. Edit: Nvrmnd. That would only be relevant if we were using our leftover cap space before July 1, which can't happen in this scenario.

Also, GH can't be signed before July 6, and our cap room runs out tomorrow. So no go unless we lose Hayward and gain some cap, or if Cleveland was able to clear enough room to be under the apron.

Lol, so many angles. Just when I think of a way, I remember another reason no. I think this move could actually be possible. Since Cleveland is barely over the apron, I think the two teams could find a way to work it out.

Except I believe the rumor was a 3 way trade with Hill and Paul George going to Cleveland, which probably means it would be too complicated to pull off. IDK, but I'm too tired to think about it anymore.

Last edited:
Fair point, the depth of that team would have to go way down to keep it but still a unit of Hill, George, Hayward, Anderson and Gobert would be awesome. Then we could keep Exum, Mitchell, Bradley and Gordon. The rest would have to be min contracts. That would put us at around 130ish. That is doable for one year... Alright that is still a little steep. But the Jazz have been cheap and been way under the luxury cap line for years. They should have some pennies saved up right?

Yes, but with all the penalties, the tax gets steep in a hurry. Also, I believe the repeater tax will prevent the Jazz from paying it more than 2 years. They could possibly pay the repeater for 1 year if they aren't too far over.

That's why it's kind of important to get under this year. If we go over this year, we should be close enough to maneuver under it with some minor tweaking. Next year that probably won't be the case. I think they'll pay the tax for the next 2 years, and possibly 3 if the team was going deep in the playoffs.

14 hours remain....

xT5LMVo9fZAolWSHVS

Last edited:
Can someone please explain the $17 million to me? Or send me a link to an explanation of it?

14 hours remain....

xT5LMVo9fZAolWSHVS

Beverly is off the table.
Can't get Paul George because Celtics have more assets.
Chris Paul is off the table.
Love just doesn't seem to be a possibility.

Honestly I just don't think there are any good deals to make. I believe Lindsey would be aggressive knowing how close Gordon is to leaving. I want the team to do something, but it has to be good. If we can't do anything to move us closer, then I don't know if I stick around if I'm Gordon.

My understanding is if we don't spend it, it will get divided among our 2016-17 roster as a bonus check. We have to pay that much money to meet the minimum for league requirements.

For our front office to not draft a power forward tells me they have something they're confident about.

My understanding is if we don't spend it, it will get divided among our 2016-17 roster as a bonus check. We have to pay that much money to meet the minimum for league requirements.

That would be a kick in the nuts if Hayward got a bonus on his way out...

How can we use this money? Can we use it in resigning Ingles or Hill by 'front loading' their contracts?

But the salary cap floor is $84.7 million.

https://www.si.com/nba/2016/07/02/nba-salary-cap-record-numbers-2016-adam-silver

Methinks you have all been deceived. This $17 million is #fakenews.

The salary cap max this year was around $94.1M and we are sitting at $80.5M and we saved around $600K-$800K on the draft day trade.

That means we have roughly around $14.2-$14.4M left before we hit the salary cap max.

Yes, the $17M number is wrong and I tried explaining that but we do indeed have a ton of cap space left to use by midnight.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app