What's new

24 Hours until that 17 million disappears.....

Fair point but the core would be good enough to win it all. We would have to trade or not sign a couple people. Trade away JJ, Favors or not sign Ingles.

And 43 million is far less than what they would actually pay, as there are incremental penalties the farther you go over. Utah is never paying that kind of tax.

We'll see. 3 seasons at 20 million and a rocket pick will be bottom 4 in the league most likley. Cap space is more valuable than that now IMO.

I think he's like 35-50% overpaid so it isn't all dead money and he's a really good dude by all accounts. the pick would be in 2020... unprotected... maybe. I think the Rockets are taking a short term risk that could fail hard... remember the late firsts the lakers gave for Nash... Miami gave for Dragic... life comes at you fast sometimes so who knows.

They have until midnight tomorrow. What the **** is Dennis waiting for?!

Use it or lose it!

giphy.gif

So we should take on money, thus restricting our ability to retain Hayward, Hill and Ingles more? I don't get it. I'm not saying swinging such a deal in the remaining hours would singularly prohibit us from keeping those three guys. I'm also not saying the Jazz can't or shouldn't pay the LT. They ****ing should go into the LT to keep Hill and Hayward (and Ingles unless it's at an outrageous price) and improve our roster. But I highly doubt we're looking to go 15M over the LT. It's not smart money management, especially with the cap rumored to be staying the same next year (LT will go up a little), knowing what the penalties are for multiple LT offenders, and that Exum, Hood and Favors would all then likely be gone because we aren't going some ridiculous amount (20-30M+?) over the LT and all because we just had to spend that money that was there this season.

In fact, I'd argue, with the cap remaining basically flat next off-season, and knowing that most teams will foolishly spend their *** off this summer, I think we could very surprisingly re-sign more than one of Exum, Hood and Favors. I say this because I foresee the number of teams being able to sign other team's guys next summer as being few and far between. Most teams will already be over the cap and therefore be unable to go after our guys. Don't get me wrong. I understand it only takes one team. I also understand there will also be multiple teams. Maybe even 10-12 teams. But there will be a hundred or so free agents to choose from and we have three of them, making it very likely a couple of our dudes can get their best offer here.

Anyway, yeah, this whole notion of going out and spending the available money is ****ing dumb and shows no foresight. And unless we're getting an expiring and unless anyone on this board can provide a trade for said expiring that makes complete sense, please stfu about this and trust Lindsey. He's earned that.

Last edited:
I could see the Jazz trading Boris Diaw for Cory Joseph and a 2nd round pick. Raptors need cap relief to limit their luxury tax. If the Jazz trade Diaw in a cap related deal, that one seems to make a lot of sense.

So we should take on money, thus restricting our ability to retain Hayward, Hill and Ingles more? I don't get it. I'm not saying swinging such a deal in the remaining hours would singularly prohibit us from keeping those three guys. I'm also not saying the Jazz can't or shouldn't pay the LT. They ****ing should go into the LT to keep Hill and Hayward (and Ingles unless it's at an outrageous price) and improve our roster. But I highly doubt we're looking to go 15M over the LT. It's not smart money management, especially with the cap rumored to be staying the same next year (LT will go up a little), knowing what the penalties are for multiple LT offenders, and that Exum, Hood and Favors would all then likely be gone because we aren't going some ridiculous amount (20-30M+?) over the LT and all because we just had to spend that money that was there this season.

In fact, I'd argue, with the cap remaining basically flat next off-season, and knowing that most teams will foolishly spend their *** off this summer, I think we could very surprisingly re-sign more than one of Exum, Hood and Favors. I say this because I foresee the number of teams being able to sign other team's guys next summer as being few and far between. Most teams will already be over the cap and therefore be unable to go after our guys. Don't get me wrong. I understand it only takes one team. I also understand there will also be multiple teams. Maybe even 10-12 teams. But there will be a hundred or so free agents to choose from and we have three of them, making it very likely a couple of our dudes can get their best offer here.

Anyway, yeah, this whole notion of going out and spending the available money is ****ing dumb and shows no foresight. And unless we're getting an expiring and unless anyone on this board can provide a trade for said expiring that makes complete sense, please stfu about this and trust Lindsey. He's earned that.

I agree that the Jazz shouldn't just spend to spend. But the pitch to Hayward this weekend better be more than "we're bringing back the exact same team as last year!....sign here...."

The next 24hrs allows the Jazz to be creative to UPGRADE the team.

I could see the Jazz trading Boris Diaw for Cory Joseph and a 2nd round pick. Raptors need cap relief to limit their luxury tax. If the Jazz trade Diaw in a cap related deal, that one seems to make a lot of sense.

I would do that too... just don't think they will until they know what is going on with Lowry.

I agree that the Jazz shouldn't just spend to spend. But the pitch to Hayward this weekend better be more than "we're bringing back the exact same team as last year!....sign here...."

The next 24hrs allows the Jazz to be creative to UPGRADE the team.

I think they are trying, but if you get to the buzzer and the deals aren't there then don't force it...

I actually think there will be some good value in FA this year. If we can get everyone re-signed we could use MLE to get a decent bargain.

Go listen to the mock offseason the RealGM guys did... there isn't enough money to go around this year.

I liked Rubio at 2/28 when I thought Hill would cost 4/100... I think signing Hill at 4/70-80 is better for our prospects of keeping Hayward.

I think the leaks about the draft (before the draft) were mostly from the other teams. On draft night the story came out that the Jazz absolutely were blown away by Mitchells workout and Lindsey went to every employee there and threatened them with their job about keeping their mouth shut, and they did.

I have a hunch about how the Hayward FA will shake out, considering the near media blackout by Jazz basketball management, but I don't want to jinx it.

I get the sense that we may be on the same wavelength.

Also, everything Hayward has been doing has been exquisitely textbook. Through this process, he's been able to raise his profile, which also raises the profile of the Jazz's team/organization. If Pat Riley wants to meet, then you definitely take that meeting; if a storied franchise wants to meet, then you definitely take that meeting. As a jazz fan who is trying to consider where the organization is at, and where it is trying to go, none of these behaviors bother me at all. Getting a seat at the table is a good sign.

Lindsey has his own work cut out for him. And it's time for the Millers to prove that the recent cheapness was all about preparation for this stretch of weeks. Publicly, they've been ALL ABOUT culture. Well, Hayward and Ingles are obviously central to what they've been building. Get them back.

I actually think there will be some good value in FA this year. If we can get everyone re-signed we could use MLE to get a decent bargain.

Go listen to the mock offseason the RealGM guys did... there isn't enough money to go around this year.

Yep. DL has drawn criticism in the past for 'misjudging the marketplace.' He did well last off-season, but he could definitely silence those criticisms in the next couple of months.

And 43 million is far less than what they would actually pay, as there are incremental penalties the farther you go over. Utah is never paying that kind of tax.

Fair point, the depth of that team would have to go way down to keep it but still a unit of Hill, George, Hayward, Anderson and Gobert would be awesome. Then we could keep Exum, Mitchell, Bradley and Gordon. The rest would have to be min contracts. That would put us at around 130ish. That is doable for one year... Alright that is still a little steep. But the Jazz have been cheap and been way under the luxury cap line for years. They should have some pennies saved up right?

So if you are above the cap you can't receive a sign and trade? I didnt know that.

Yeah, I did not know that either. I guess that is why sign and trades never happen anymore. There is no reason to.

But I would be pretty excited if we got Kyrie. He is not my favorite player but he is a legit all-star and we saw him step up in the finals last year.

Lmao Kyrie for a Hill sign and trade and picks. Seems likely.

Well I think they would get Paul George also. I guess Irving to Utah would make the trade happen as it would incentive Utah to send more back to Indiana. *in theory of this being an actually valid rumor*

Lmao Kyrie for a Hill sign and trade and picks. Seems likely.

I assumed the Jazz would be giving up a lot more since something needs to be going to Indiana. Although I guess this trade is illegal so who cares?

But that would make Cleveland a lot better to swap Kyrie for Hill and Paul George.