What's new

24 Hours until that 17 million disappears.....

I think it's more like 14m but not positive. I keep seeing people posting to use that cap space before July 1st and also sign milos teodosic but you can't do both unless you give up more salary then you receive on the trade. Their is barely enough cap room to sign Milos in free agency and that is only if they sign him before Hayward, Hill, and Ingles. Basically it's either use the cap space before July 1st or use 10m in free agency to sign Teo. Can't be both.

Or sign Teo for the MLE at 8.4 mill, if he'll do that.

I keep seeing people posting to use that cap space before July 1st and also sign milos teodosic but you can't do both unless you give up more salary then you receive on the trade(which means your not using the cap space).Their is barely enough cap room to sign Milos in free agency and that is only if they sign him before Hayward, Hill, and Ingles. Basically it's either use the cap space before July 1st or use 10m in free agency to sign Teo. Can't be both.

This is incorrect. The cap space we would be using before July is on last year's cap. Whether we use it or not, we won't have cap space next year(as of July 1) and will have our exceptions. Therefore, we could use the cap space leftover from last year and then use the MLE to sign Teodosic after July 1.

We will not have 10 million to spend in FA and only have our exceptions.

I think the leaks about the draft (before the draft) were mostly from the other teams. On draft night the story came out that the Jazz absolutely were blown away by Mitchells workout and Lindsey went to every employee there and threatened them with their job about keeping their mouth shut, and they did.

I have a hunch about how the Hayward FA will shake out, considering the near media blackout by Jazz basketball management, but I don't want to jinx it.

Doesn't look aggressive enough if it's not used. Then Hayward is meeting with teams over the next 72 hours.

Hey, Gordon. We wanted to look aggressive so we overpaid to get Rubio. What? You were giving us until Day 3 to come to terms with Hill? Sorry, we no longer have money for anyone else.

We have a better chance making a trade happen today then we do next week.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Not true at all. You think the other 29 teams want to make a trade before they see some dominos fall? It's very hard to get any significant trade done in the time period after the draft and before FA.

This is incorrect. The cap space we would be using before July is on last year's cap. Whether we use it or not, we won't have cap space next year(as of July 1) and will have our exceptions. Therefore, we could use the cap space leftover from last year and then use the MLE to sign Teodosic after July 1.

While that's indeed correct, using the 2016 cap space adds that player to Utahs roster and cap for 2017. How far over do you think the Jazz board is willing to go? trade for player(s) now and that may mean not trying to get Hill or others, Jazz aren't going to pay a HUGE tax penalty.

Hey, Gordon. We wanted to look aggressive so we overpaid to get Rubio. What? You were giving us until Day 3 to come to terms with Hill? Sorry, we no longer have money for anyone else.

That's fair. But Celtics probably have a more exciting pitch then "we are bringing back the exact same team as last year!"

I forgot about the MLE, you are right! I didn't realize it jumped up to 8.4m either.

While that's indeed correct, using the 2016 cap space adds that player to Utahs roster and cap for 2017. How far over do you think the Jazz board is willing to go? trade for player(s) now and that may mean not trying to get Hill or others, Jazz aren't going to pay a HUGE tax penalty.

I think that's right--the Jazz will only do the trade using the 2016 cap space if it adds a player with a good 2017-8 contract. Otherwise they'll pay their existing players the bonus required to get to the minimum, and put the saved dollars in the bank to help out in the future.

Does anyone think Houston is going to dump Eric Gordon to make room for another star? I would be willing to pick him up and give them a pick back.

Ryan Andersons contract is awful but he is a really elite offensive player. He obviously could fit next to Gobert pretty well. Would anyone do this trade right now?

Ryan Anderson $19.5m
Eric Gordon $13m

for

Boris Diaw 7.5m
Burks 10.5m plus filler like Neto/Bolomboy or Derrick Favors 12m

I am guessing they would go for the Diaw/Favors combo since they could use Favors and then they could clear some serious cap space going forward(~33M next season)

The Burks, Diaw and a little filler trade does not clear as much space for them but it still saves them ~23m and helps us out a little with cap space going forward. I think I might go for that trade if Houston was willing. This lineup would be killer next year:

Hill/Exum
Gordon/Hood/Mitchel
Hayward/Inlges/JJ
Favors/Anderson/JJ
Gobert/Favors/Bradley

We could also still pool some assets and go after Paul George by offering Hood and picks, or another trade to combine some of our B/C assets into a A or even B+ asset.

Does anyone think Houston is going to dump Eric Gordon to make room for another star? I would be willing to pick him up and give them a pick back.

Ryan Andersons contract is awful but he is a really elite offensive player. He obviously could fit next to Gobert pretty well. Would anyone do this trade right now?

Ryan Anderson $19.5m
Eric Gordon $13m

for

Boris Diaw 7.5m
Derrick Favors 12m or Burks 10.5m plus Neto or Bolomboy.

I am guessing they would go for the Diaw/Favors combo since they could use Favors and then they could clear some serious cap space going forward(~33M next season)

The Burks, Diaw and a little filler trade does not clear as much space for them but it still saves them ~23m and helps us out a little with cap space going forward. I think I might go for that trade if Houston was willing. This lineup would be killer next year:

Hill/Exum
Gordon/Hood/Mitchel
Hayward/Inlges/JJ
Anderson/JJ/Bolomboy/FA?
Gobert/Bradley/FA?

We could also still pool some assets and go after Paul George by offering Hood and picks, or another trade to combine some of our B/C assets into a A or even B+ asset.

Andersons contract is toxic

I expect Utah to be able to dump about 18 million if they have to in Diaw/Burks, and could find other ways to cut salary as well. They will pay the tax when the time comes, but I expect them to do whatever they can to stay under this year, as they then have 2 years to pay it before having to get back under to avoid the repeater.

If Utah finds a good opportunity available, they will burn that cap space and worry about crossing the tax bridge if they come to it.

Last edited:
Sure its not a great contract but he still is the best stretch 4 in the NBA. I would not call that a toxic contract. Teams can handle one bad contract. It also nets us a reliable sharp shooter at the 2 position.

I don't know that he can qualify as being the best stretch 4 when he's a poor man's Love but without the rebounding. I'd like him, though, if it weren't for the contract.