What's new

4-team trade that could affect Jazz

Kenwood said:
I know he said that, but I bet he would if Indiana offered him a more typical buyout.

So far they have offered him a $5M dollar buyout, meaning he'd be leaving $3.5M on the table. I don't think he could replace the $3.5M, especially this late in the offseason, so he said no. Indiana came back with "He's on the team, so we expect him to be a professional" (despite the fact that they just tried to dump him). Translation: they're negotiating and I bet they still work out a buyout. Indiana doesn't need him, and he doesn't need Indiana.

Eh, that's fine. I don't see it happening. I've been following the saga of T.J. Ford and the Pacers for a long time. He's got an easy ride there, and he seems to like the easy ride more than working for a paycheck. My prediction is he gets dumped in a trade. We'll see. I could be wrong.

Have to agree, 'Kenwood'; he'll eventually accept a better buyout offer.
I read elsewhere the Pacers also weren't interested in re-signing Earl Watson, who I understand a few years ago was pursued by the Jazz for b/u PG. He actually had nice numbers last year. Just thinkin' this might be an opportunity to dump Price and his contract and bring Watson here if they'd sign and trade him to the Jazz. Larry Bird likes hustle and effort guys, which is certainly Price's forte.
A minor deal for us, but Watson would improve our b/u PG play, while Price is more of a spark-off-the-bench kinda player.

They have 15 players under contract. A sign and trade is not possible.

<< KrazeeEyezKilla

Isn't Watson a FA? >>

Yes he is; I figure we wouldn't want Watson AND Price, so the sign & trade gets Price outa here and gets us Watson. Then we're not locked into a 3rd PG.

<< Stickler

They have 15 players under contract. A sign and trade is not possible. >>

I believe Larry Bird is telling it like it is when he says the Pacers are planning more trades. if he can dump 2 guys and bring just 1 in he could then do it if he had an interest in Price.

<< KrazeeEyezKilla

Isn't Watson a FA? >>

Yes he is; I figure we wouldn't want Watson AND Price, so the sign & trade gets Price outa here and gets us Watson. Then we're not locked into a 3rd PG.

<< Stickler

They have 15 players under contract. A sign and trade is not possible. >>

I believe Larry Bird is telling it like it is when he says the Pacers are planning more trades. if he can dump 2 guys and bring just 1 in he could then do it if he had an interest in Price.

Yeah, dont think they have much of a choice. Hansbrough is still got vertigo issues, McRoberts is not a starter and they have to many wings. Price is the kind of guy you love 1/4 of the time, but then the other 3/4 it is obvious he is more of a shooting guard at a point guards height.

They have 15 players under contract. A sign and trade is not possible.
They can still do a sign-and-trade even if it leaves them with 16 players under contract because it's the offseason. They only have to reduce to 15 by the start of the regular season. That said, I think they are interested in re-signing Watson to keep him, not to trade him away.

Oh, well sure. The Pacers will make more trades... I don't see why they would be interested in Ronnie Price. They have A.J. Price, who started many of the games last season for them, and Lance Stephenson, the rookie (who they like at the 1 spot), as back-up point guards already in place.

Kenwood said:
They can still do a sign-and-trade even if it leaves them with 16 players under contract because it's the offseason. They only have to reduce to 15 by the start of the regular season. That said, I think they are interested in re-signing Watson to keep him, not to trade him away.

I don't think they're interested in bringing back Watson, now that they've got Collison. I didn't know they could carry 16 contacts in the off-season -- but even so, they're not going to take on another one. They're already trying to move somebody so they can make room on their roster to sign Mangum Rolle.