What's new

7-10 ranked teams play in?

reignman40

Teams ranked 7-10 will participate in a play-in tournament at the end of the regular season.
I noticed this while looking at the standings, but have not heard anything about it. Is this just for the shortened season or a permanent thing? How does it work? 7 plays 10, 8 plays 9 and the winners get the 7-8 seed?

I noticed this while looking at the standings, but have not heard anything about it. Is this just for the shortened season or a permanent thing? How does it work? 7 plays 10, 8 plays 9 and the winners get the 7-8 seed?
7 plays 8, winner gets the 7 seed.
9 plays 10, loser is out.
Loser of the first game plays winner of the second game, winner gets 8 seed.

So, 7 & 8 have to win 1 game with 2 tries, while 9 & 10 have to win 2 games in a row.

Money-grab to offset lost revenue for a shortened season. It essentially adds in "playoff" games for added TV and ticket revenue. I am sure the teams won't mind the added revenue, but it could be a slap in the face to a 7th place team that is, say 3 to 4 games ahead of the other teams. Work hard to try to get ahead for that 7th seed and get knocked down or out entirely. That would suck.

I agree about a 7 seed that made it by 3-4 loses then they are suddenly out to a 10 seed and losing out on atleast 2 home playoff games. I don't see that sitting well with an owner of a team. Not to mention that 9-10 place team getting swept in the first round while losing by 25 a game.

Also seems like another way to protect the 1 seed super team. Seems like every year Dabron was on the heat they would play every other night and their series was over in like 6 days while everyone else was playing 5-6 games in 2 weeks. Or in 2018 when we beat the Thunder in 6 but had to be in Houston 36 hours later for game 1.

I agree about a 7 seed that made it by 3-4 loses then they are suddenly out to a 10 seed and losing out on atleast 2 home playoff games. I don't see that sitting well with an owner of a team. Not to mention that 9-10 place team getting swept in the first round while losing by 25 a game.

Also seems like another way to protect the 1 seed super team. Seems like every year Dabron was on the heat they would play every other night and their series was over in like 6 days while everyone else was playing 5-6 games in 2 weeks. Or in 2018 when we beat the Thunder in 6 but had to be in Houston 36 hours later for game 1.
Imagine if you were 3-4 games ahead in 7th, then lost two games because you had a few key players out because of health and safety protocol.

Because apparently, regular season wasn't meaningless enough.
Eh, you REALLY don't want to find yourself in one of these play-in slots. It also might make the last few games of the season more exciting as teams jockey to stay out of this mess.