What's new

9 Players set, and the Jazz usually like 14 = 5 spots left

Pastramiking

1) The Fesenko Spot: I think Fesenko, can and should accept his qualifying offer. 4 spots left.

2) The Injured Okur Spot: The Jazz currently have no real center for the opening day roster, but even if Fesenko re-signs, I would use the remaining $2.8m of the mid-level and go for a legitmate center. Brad Miller will get three times the price. Etan Thomas is a possibility, and he could be had cheaper, but you're getting decline and not growth. The player that is affordable and still has a lot of potential is Earl Barron. Even though he played just 7 games for the Knicks last year, he was a double-double guy at 11/11 and is 7'0/250. 3 Spots left.

3) The 3rd PG Spot: Utah likes to have 3 point guards. Shannon Brown is not a true point guard, although he could play it in the Lakers triangle, and he would cost too much, so the next logical choices are Sundiata Gaines or Roger Mason Jr. Sundiata will probably get the nod, but if Roger Mason would sign for the veteran minimum of $1.2m, I would take him in a heartbeat. With Korver leaving, the Jazz are back to having very few deep threats and Mason can sure shoot the 3. 2 Spots left.

4) The Bi-annual spot: The bi-annual exception also remains, which is about $1.6m. I think Ronnie Brewer would view this as an insult, but I would still offer it to him and see if he takes it. Otherwise, there are 4 players I would offer it to, and whomever takes it first is fine by me: Matt Barnes, Rasual Butler, Louis Amundson, or Anthony Tolliver. If Barnes would play in Utah, take him. Otherwise, I would lean towards Anthony Tolliver, as he is 6'9"/ 240, and has a more versatile game than Amundson. Given that he is a D-Leaguer and has only played 1 season in the NBA, maybe he can be had for less than the bi-annual. 1 spot left.

5) The Wesley Matthews spot: This is the spot for the guy that earns it in training camp. It might be Othyus Jeffers, who had some flashes last season, Jeremy Evans, who could prove to be a shocking KOC 2nd round discovery, or an invitee. Given they used a pick on him, he comes cheap, and he is a freakish athlete with a high ceiling, I vote for Jeremy Evans. Jeffers, will sign with the Flash and certainly get a couple 10 days for the Jazz during the season. 0 spots left and the '10-'11 Jazz roster is complete.

Who would you put in each spot?

If the Jazz have an opportunity for a decent player with the rest of the MLE, they might do it. But I'm thinking they will sign Fesenko and then fill the rest of their spots with minimum contracts. I don't see them pushing further into the luxury tax to fill out their roster as you have suggested.

If we do need an extra big man, I think we should take a look at Patrick O'Bryant. He can be a servicable center given the right situation.

Maybe another reunite is in order? Raja Bell's college and former jazz teammate Carlos Arroyo seems like a serviceable NBA backup point and he should be cheap.

Also, Louis Amundson I think would fit in well and looks like he is leaving Phoenix to possibly join us.

I think Fes will be the last recognizable name, although I'd like just 1 more. I do expect to see Sundiata Gaines back. Evans and Augustine should be our designated D-leaguers...

My best gues for our 14 -

PG - Deron Williams, Ronnie Price, Sundiata Gaines
SG - Raja Bell, CJ Miles, Ronnie Price (I'd only do this when DWill, who can guard SG's, is in the game), Othyus Jeffers
SF - Andre Kirilenko, CJ Miles, Gordon Hayward (every indication is they EXPECT Hayward to be in the regular rotation), Jeremy Evans
PF - Paul Millsap, Al Jefferson, Andre Kirilenko, James Augustine
C - Al Jefferson, Mehmut Okur, K. Fesenko

My best gues for our 14 -

PG - Deron Williams, Ronnie Price, Sundiata Gaines
SG - Raja Bell, CJ Miles, Ronnie Price (I'd only do this when DWill, who can guard SG's, is in the game), Othyus Jeffers
SF - Andre Kirilenko, CJ Miles, Gordon Hayward (every indication is they EXPECT Hayward to be in the regular rotation), Jeremy Evans
PF - Paul Millsap, Al Jefferson, Andre Kirilenko, James Augustine
C - Al Jefferson, Mehmut Okur, K. Fesenko

I also see that 14...

Projected Lineup w/ Memo:
- DWill (36) / Price (10) / Gaines (x)
- Raja (26) / Hayward (24) / Jeffers (x)
- CJ (28) / AK (28)
- Jefferson (34) / Millsap (28) / Evans (x)
- Memo (26) / Fes (x) / Augustine (x)

Millsap first to come off bench (Memo)
AK spells Raja (CJ to '2')
Hayward spells CJ
Price for Deron.....

I think we have every intention to start Jefferson and Millsap. Okur will be our sixth man most likely, because I see CJ at SG and AK at SF.
At least we finally have some depth.

Pastramiking, I like the scenarios you've outlined there. But how far over the tax would that leave us? Miller and KOC have already said they're gonna go over it again this yr, I just wonder by how much...i.e., we went over last yr only by about 3 mil. LA, Dallas, Phoenix, Denver, and the Spurs all exceeded the threshhold by more than us, so i'm thinking maybe the Jazz are using that as a limit as to how far they'll exceed (in comparison to our adversaries that is)

They should focus on guys like Amundson, Mikki, and Collins now. It's always prudent to go to thrift stores and buy back the things you gave away. This is the summer of the thrift store for the Jazz.

They should focus on guys like Amundson, Mikki, and Collins now. It's always prudent to go to thrift stores and buy back the things you gave away. This is the summer of the thrift store for the Jazz.
Mikki Moore is a good guy, but the Celtics let him go two years ago (during the playoffs I think) because he really wasn't helping on either end.

Dead last in +/- (albeit in limited minutes) last season with the WARRIORS. Heck, on GSW, all you have to do is lift your finger on D and you should be able to be a net asset. Golden State waived him last year.
https://www.82games.com/0910/0910GSW.HTM

Collins? 'Tree' COLLINS? Sarcasm meter going off, even though your post doesn't look like it. Tell me you're not serious.

Amundsen would be great as an energy big. Augustine is fine. But we know what Tree and Mikki can do. They don't help.

Mikki Moore is a good guy, but the Celtics let him go a year ago (during the playoffs I think) because he really wasn't helping on either end. Golden State was waived last year.

Dead last in +/- (albeit in limited minutes) last season with the WARRIORS. Heck, on GSW, all you have to do is lift your finger on D and you should be able to be a net asset.
https://www.82games.com/0910/0910GSW.HTM

Collins? 'Tree' COLLINS? Sarcasm meter going off . Tell me you're not serious.

Amundsen would be great as an energy big. Augustine is fine. But we know what Tree and Mikki can do. They don't help.

Any of the Amundson, Mikki, and Collins trio would fit in with the Jazz reunion plans.

I suspect the Jazz will look no further than Fes, Gaines, Jeffers, and Evans. The one exception to that is maybe one more big until Okur returns. To that extent I wouldn't be shocked to see Collins back.