What's new

A Big Move on the Horizon?

Which is why I doubt Portland has a shot at getting Melo. NY probably stopped the Houston and Cleveland talks because they were dissatisfied with the prospects coming their way. Portland doesn't really have anything to offer them.

And Melo has to waive his no-trade clause.

They could use other salary like Davis harkless and Aminu... I mean their crappy contracts are the same as Houstons crappy contracts.

Ny is really over a barrel here... if Cleveland wanted to swap love for melo I'm not sure why they didn't just do that. Not sure if it was ever offered but it is tough for them to dig in and ask for a lot in any trade.

The conference is stacked and right now there are so many variables almost any prognostication is just pure guess-work. Several teams have new guys to integrate, there are rumors of more to come, maybe at the trade deadline, and the Jazz took at least a half-step backward, if not a full step, unless they can really integrate the new guys effectively and someone really steps up. There is also the injury bug to worry about. So many un-knowns. I would only be mildly surprised to see us win 50+, I also would not be surprised to see us win 30. Personally I think we will be chasing the 7th or 8th seed this year, maybe the 6th. But if we really get some guys to come back strong (like 4 of them) or start strong (the rookies, new players), we could be top 4 again.

We have a better chance at winning 60 games than winning 30 IMO.

We have a better chance at winning 60 games than winning 30 IMO.
What was best case scenario according to him last season if the Stars all aligned? 49? Obviously he is one of the pessimist on this board.

But I might be one the optimist. But I think fans should be optimistic. I'm fairly confident we will win about the same number of games as last season if we have league average health. If we have the health of the last 2 seasons that number could dip into the high 30s. If we were really healthy and things click I could see getting close to 60. If I was Vegas I would put our win number at 46.

I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere, but WTH: here goes. Now that Carmelo appears to be attempting to force his way out of New York...

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...nting-new-york-knicks-trading-houston-rockets

this particular trade sure seems to make a lot of sense to all three parties:

trade.png

Of course there are numerous ways the Jazz can adjust and/or sweeten this deal for the Knicks, if that is really necessary.

I think it improves the Jazz by quite a bit, but maybe not enough to make it worth it. The Warriors are still the Warriors, after all.

Don't think so. New NY GM pulled Melo off the market wanting him to either stay or expand the list of teams he'd be willing to go to. If Melo insists on Cleveland or Houston, NY may be forced to revisit deals that had been discussed already.

It's been a week.

We can officially roast Windhorst for bad sources.

I'm fine with giving it more time, but I'm also fine roasting him because I'm not a big fan. He reminds me of so many people I know that I don't like.

Also, he always says he doesn't make predictions, but he was waaaaay down on the Jazz start of last season compared to others and went on to say he though the Wolves would win 50 games. Outside of McMahon I don't trust much of what the TBA guys say on the Jazz. Tim is really dialed in though.

Why does everyone always want to include Joe Johnson in these trades? I see him as one of our most valuable assets on the floor and want him to stick around. Throw some of the new guys we just signed into the trade, leave Joe Jesus here.

Why does everyone always want to include Joe Johnson in these trades? I see him as one of our most valuable assets on the floor and want him to stick around. Throw some of the new guys we just signed into the trade, leave Joe Jesus here.

Because he is the kind of player a contending team might be willing to give up a first round pick for at the trade deadline and unless he gives clear indication he wants to retire a Jazz man (at a reasonable price) then you should probably trade him.

I think with our young team Joe has more value as a locker-room guy and mentor for the young guns than he would traded for a late first round pick. I hope they get him on a 2 year extension and he ends his career here or something similar. I think there is a lot more value there than just a pick.

I think with our young team Joe has more value as a locker-room guy and mentor for the young guns than he would traded for a late first round pick. I hope they get him on a 2 year extension and he ends his career here or something similar. I think there is a lot more value there than just a pick.

Yeah, but look, Kyle Kuzma was a late first round pick and now people are saying he should have been a lottery pick.

Joe Johnson seems like a great dude, but he also seems like the equivalent of a basketball mercenary.

We also traded what will probably end up being a late first round pick for Ricky Rubio.

I'd leave it up to Joe. I'm not so sure he'd get us a real first but if he did we should probably move him.

I put him there because he'll be in the last year of his deal, which I assume would be appealing to the Knicks. We have a lot of guys we could substitute there.

He was talking about the free-agent signings we were in the process of making at that time. He was right about our roster composition changing. It happened on the same day.

I highly doubt that. Our roster composition is basically the same.