What's new

A Big Move on the Horizon?

3-4 years ago when we were in the dark depths of our rebuild I think most would have said that becoming a treadmill team like the pups was not the goal. 3 years later we want to become what the pups were.

Super :/

3-4 years ago when we were in the dark depths of our rebuild I think most would have said that becoming a treadmill team like the pups was not the goal. 3 years later we want to become what the pups were.

When we meet GS in the playoffs, you'll see the Batman cliché of what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object. Our defense will be quite problematic for them while their defense won't be an issue at all for us, because our offense sucks.

What exactly are you complaining about here? That Utah didn't just throw in the towel and tank after losing their 2nd best player? It's not like we went and made a bunch of bad deals that weigh us down for 4 years like the blazers did last year. We signed 3 players to 2 year deals, and I'd bet we have team options on the 2nd year on these deals. If not, they are tradable contracts.

Is this just some hissy fit because DL wasn't able to pull off George or Butler? Build a bridge and get the **** over it. Go watch some Mitchell highlights and open your mind to the possibility we may not drop much, or even at all this year, if things work out like they could. This whole doom and gloom **** over losing Haywood is getting ridiculous. The sun is going to come up tomorrow, and when it does, Utah will have Donovan ****ing Mitchell playing on their side.

#NewDayBitchez

The Jazz have good coaching, a good system, good depth. They just need a few star players to step up. Hopefully it's Hood, Gobert and Mitchell sooner rather than later. We could use another good forward though.

What exactly are you complaining about here? That Utah didn't just throw in the towel and tank after losing their 2nd best player? It's not like we went and made a bunch of bad deals that weigh us down for 4 years like the blazers did last year. We signed 3 players to 2 year deals, and I'd bet we have team options on the 2nd year on these deals. If not, they are tradable contracts.

Is this just some hissy fit because DL wasn't able to pull off George or Butler? Build a bridge and get the **** over it. Go watch some Mitchell highlights and open your mind to the possibility we may not drop much, or even at all this year, if things work out like they could. This whole doom and gloom **** over losing Haywood is getting ridiculous. The sun is going to come up tomorrow, and when it does, Utah will have Donovan ****ing Mitchell playing on their side.

#NewDayBitchez

Well played.

These are Kevin Smith's notes from summer league. The(O) is his opinion. LMA could be a dark horse here in terms of Utah shaking up the lineup. 1 year deal that costs almost twice as much as Favors. Would have made more sense to me to include Diaw and then SA could decline his option afterwards, but there could be other players involved where it may not have been necessary. I kinda doubt DL is going to make a move, but this is more realistic IMO than anything involving Love.

San Antonio
1. (O) – Very much got the sense something bigger was planned. They didn’t get guys to opt out to add just Rudy Gay and Joffrey Lauvergne. But they can still finagle the cap to do something big.
2. Brandon Paul is going to be a steal for them. He was very good overseas last year and in Summer League. He’s the next great Spurs find.
3. They are worried about depth up front. Still looking at options there, but Gasol will be back for sure and probably Lee. Recently waived Boris Diaw could return as well.

These are Kevin Smith's notes from summer league. The(O) is his opinion. LMA could be a dark horse here in terms of Utah shaking up the lineup. 1 year deal that costs almost twice as much as Favors. Would have made more sense to me to include Diaw and then SA could decline his option afterwards, but there could be other players involved where it may not have been necessary. I kinda doubt DL is going to make a move, but this is more realistic IMO than anything involving Love.

San Antonio
1. (O) – Very much got the sense something bigger was planned. They didn’t get guys to opt out to add just Rudy Gay and Joffrey Lauvergne. But they can still finagle the cap to do something big.
2. Brandon Paul is going to be a steal for them. He was very good overseas last year and in Summer League. He’s the next great Spurs find.
3. They are worried about depth up front. Still looking at options there, but Gasol will be back for sure and probably Lee. Recently waived Boris Diaw could return as well.

I guess it would clear Burks' deal off the books for next year? Otherwise, just don't see it making any sense. What Favors brings on defense is much more valuable than LMA, who has been a disappointment. And if Favs' is healthy, he actually has a decent mid-range game.

Maybe Utah thinks LMA might re-sign, whereas Favors is out the door. I think LMA has a player option for next year, which he likely declines, since he's only making $20m. He can probably get one last big deal.

San Antonio

Aldridge is about to turn 32. It doesn't mean that the Jazz wouldn't consider him if the right deal came along, but it seems like the Jazz are trying to build a core of guys that are in a similar age range.

Rudy- 25
Rubio- 26
Hood- 24
Favors- 25
Exum- 22
Mitchell- 20

Aldridge seems a little out of place in the timeline they are trying to work with.

I don't think an LMA deal is going to happen, but as long as people are throwing around ideas in this thread about changing the makeup of the roster, I thought I'd throw it out there as a more realistic option. LMA isn't happy in SA and I think the spurs would like to move him. I'd much rather have Favors, but between his health and lack of fit next to Rudy, I could see a gamble on LMA.

Utah is going to have to find offense somewhere, so if they make a move, that will be the main motivation. So far is seems Love and Anderson have been talked about and not much else. Anderson handcuffs us financially and I think Love would have been traded already if it was going to happen.

Anyway, just one more name that seems slightly more realistic to me, even though it's also unlikely.

Jazz need to give Burks to Brooklyn. Nets need wings. And it would hurt the Celtics. Would be a great landing spot, IMO.

I wonder if there's the chance that the Rox ship out Gordon and Ariza (and perhaps someone else who's cheap) rather than Anderson.

Paul
Harden
Carmelo-Tucker
Anderson-Nene
Capela-Black

Then, maybe they go out and sign some cheap vet guards?

I don't think an LMA deal is going to happen, but as long as people are throwing around ideas in this thread about changing the makeup of the roster, I thought I'd throw it out there as a more realistic option. LMA isn't happy in SA and I think the spurs would like to move him. I'd much rather have Favors, but between his health and lack of fit next to Rudy, I could see a gamble on LMA.

Utah is going to have to find offense somewhere, so if they make a move, that will be the main motivation. So far is seems Love and Anderson have been talked about and not much else. Anderson handcuffs us financially and I think Love would have been traded already if it was going to happen.

Anyway, just one more name that seems slightly more realistic to me, even though it's also unlikely.

It makes a lot of sense indeed, and it's one of the most realistic trade scenarios that have been posted here.

I think the Jazz are going to move on from Favors (and viceversa) next summer as he clearly doesn't fit with Rudy, so trading him for a 20-22PPG scorer who's always been an excellent mid-range shooter and could extend his range to the 3-pt line like the Gasols, Brook Lopez, etc., would be a savvy move, and one that wouldn't handicap the future as it would be just a 1-2 year rental (most likely just one).

It also makes sense for the Spurs since they're not happy with Aldridge and they've lost Dewayne Dedmon, so they need a better defender alongside Gasol and Gay. Pop began the season with Pau in the starting lineup but chose to move him to the second unit as he didn't mesh so well offensively with LMA and the defense obviously wasn't the same with both on the court, making Dedmon the starter even if in limited minutes. They can still sign a cheap defensive minded C and they most probably will, but adding Favors would go a long way towards helping their D and providing some flexibility as it would allow them to interchange Gay and Gasol in the lineup, with DF playing 4 or 5, as needed.

As for Aldridge disappointing, I think it's been overstated. He was never going to be the same type of scorer he was in Portland given the Spurs' system, and he's had Kawhi, Parker and to a lesser extent Manu and Pau demanding touches. He could put up some nice numbers here, work for his last contract elsewhere, and provide that much needed scoring for the Jazz in the meantime.

I say hell no to LMA. He's always been a stat guy and nothing else. He does not fit the project demographics right now.

I would rather stay put than add Aldridge.

As for Burks, he needs to be showcased in preseason then he maybe gets the value enough to be unloaded. Until then, we have to give an asset for somebody to take him.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app