What's new

A little Boler appreciation

This has been something my friends and I have critiqued for the past several years. They have both gotten better this year, it seems. Not great, not terrible, but adequate nonetheless and better than years past. If their good qualities could somehow morph into one announcer they would be be amazing.

Harpring pros - Basketball IQ, insider knowledge, unbiased coverage.

Boler pros - Natural television/radio voice, energy level, excitement.

Ok, I've criticized Boler plenty, so have to give him one when he deserves it...
When Jerebko laid his shoulder into a Wizard (sorry, forgot who it was) in the 1st quarter, Boler retorted, "he must have played linebacker." Pretty decent throwback to all the Harpring played football remarks from years past. Made me laugh.

And I agree 100% with hawkeye. At least Boler is easy on the ears. If I focus hard enough on the game, I can almost make Boler's voice become white noise. It's not grating like some others.

So what some of you kids don't realize is that Utah had one of the very best for a very long time. Hot Rod was upper echelon. TV, Radio, both at the same time for most of it, he was amazing.

It's hard to go from Hot Rod to Boler.

The one thing I'll give Boler credit on this year is that he finally seemed to learn what a 3 point shot is. Him calling a 2 a 3 (and vice-versa) has gone way down this year.

I think Boler and Harpring make for a good team. Sure, they have their flaws, but if you are willing to overlook those, then the way they play off of each other makes for some light entertainment .

"I think Boler and Harpring make for a good team. Sure, they have their flaws, but if you are willing to overlook those, then the way they play off of each other makes for some light entertainment." - Some poor man who's endured an aneurysm

You've got the hammer, might as well use it. (Or something like that)

Fish is alive... AB... Fish talk about AB!
It' been really nice to see him healthy and getting time on the court (in this case the injuries have been a blessing to a certain extent) and having fun out there. I missed him. Still has that swagger too.

He has improved his defense a ton, his shot selection and decision making is much better (good coaching by the jazz staff). You can tell his knowledge of the offense and defense is much better.

He was getting way too much hate imo but I understood where it came from. The injuries and major slumps will do that to fans and I get it. I won't name names but a few awful takes to point out is that burks was a ball hog (I did the research a while back and he was never near the top of the team in shot attempts.... even if you look at shots per minute played. Even when considering the fact that for many years his job was to be the scorer off the bench. Never in his career has he been a ball hog) and that he should only shoot threes and can't make layups. Some people wanted him to be kyle korver. He got the nickname he has for a reason. People forgot.

Legit criticisms of him in his career would be poor shot selection, wild play, poor defense, and poor outside shooting. (Early in his career)

Love that he has improved on all of his weaknesses and recently showed that his old strengths (attacking the rim and finishing in traffic in houdini fashion, and playing with high energy and hitting set spot up threes, Cleaning glass like a boss) are still there too.

On a team full of likeable players, he is one of the most likeable guys imo. Never complains, never gets into it with teammates or coaches or even opponents. I cant remember ever in his entire career bitching at the refs about a call or missed call for a prolonged period. Tons of smiles, and loves the game.

I hated to see all the fans that wanted to simply dump him somewhere and even wanted to include other assets just to get someone to take him off our hands. Dont get me wrong, I understood why fans felt that way but as a Burks fan who still believed in him it sucked to see all the hate.

This win streak has been really fun all around and is just all the better knowing that a few redemption projects (favors and burks) were a big big part of it.

So what some of you kids don't realize is that Utah had one of the very best for a very long time. Hot Rod was upper echelon. TV, Radio, both at the same time for most of it, he was amazing.

It's hard to go from Hot Rod to Boler.

Hot Rod was special, but the way games have been called are different now because radio and tv are separate. Hot Rod was a stud. He did start slipping a bit, but was still enjoyable. He had a great voice, and some great signature statements that were not annoying. Boler has tried to add signature statements, and most just do not make sense, and are just annoying (hammers down a three, etc.)

He's good for that "Jinglin Joe." Line which to me is enough comedy and entertainment to want to keep him around for awhile.

It' been really nice to see him healthy and getting time on the court (in this case the injuries have been a blessing to a certain extent) and having fun out there. I missed him. Still has that swagger too.

He has improved his defense a ton, his shot selection and decision making is much better (good coaching by the jazz staff). You can tell his knowledge of the offense and defense is much better.

He was getting way too much hate imo but I understood where it came from. The injuries and major slumps will do that to fans and I get it. I won't name names but a few awful takes to point out is that burks was a ball hog (I did the research a while back and he was never near the top of the team in shot attempts.... even if you look at shots per minute played. Even when considering the fact that for many years his job was to be the scorer off the bench. Never in his career has he been a ball hog) and that he should only shoot threes and can't make layups. Some people wanted him to be kyle korver. He got the nickname he has for a reason. People forgot.

Legit criticisms of him in his career would be poor shot selection, wild play, poor defense, and poor outside shooting. (Early in his career)

Love that he has improved on all of his weaknesses and recently showed that his old strengths (attacking the rim and finishing in traffic in houdini fashion, and playing with high energy and hitting set spot up threes, Cleaning glass like a boss) are still there too.

On a team full of likeable players, he is one of the most likeable guys imo. Never complains, never gets into it with teammates or coaches or even opponents. I cant remember ever in his entire career bitching at the refs about a call or missed call for a prolonged period. Tons of smiles, and loves the game.

I hated to see all the fans that wanted to simply dump him somewhere and even wanted to include other assets just to get someone to take him off our hands. Dont get me wrong, I understood why fans felt that way but as a Burks fan who still believed in him it sucked to see all the hate.

This win streak has been really fun all around and is just all the better knowing that a few redemption projects (favors and burks) were a big big part of it.

Great post, Fish. Kind of makes me feel bad for writing him off. And it's true he is a no drama dude. His passion for the game is as high as anyones. No one ever accused him of not giving his all.

Oh my! Come on down to Sutherland's Hardware.
You want to hammer down a few shingles Matty? We got you covered.
Fresh free throw jumpcorn all day every day.
Skip pass the line? It only costs a dollar extra. Matty, how good of a deal it that?
Check out the new holiday packages. You can now purchase a shake and bake rake, a shovel pass, and 225 square feet of astroturf for only $49.95. Oh my, what a deal!
But that's not all. Here at Sutherland's Hardware we have dishwashers and other oh so up high end appliances as well. So, if you want to check out the spin cycle just come on in.
Need a Houdini fix for your drywall? We're here to help you out.