What's new

A MASSIVE recap of aa BUNCH of threads consolidated into one

Dr. Jones

In pursuit of #9
Contributor
I want to put my thoughts of this year and next into one thread and ask which of you generally agree or disagree.

First, Trey Burke - Some are down on him and some are still up on him. I think most everyone agrees that on draft night it was a power move by the FO to make all the moves they did. They put a deal together and executed. And spent cash.

This next year will be exciting regardless of the outcome. I think too many are getting to wrapped up when whether Burke was the right choice almost as if it's a pride thing. Here's a little secret. It doesn't matter very much. The FO has put is in such a strong position with '14 draft picks (as well as the '17) and '14 cap space, that we have multiple options at every position. Burke turns out great? Awesome, we'll find a great backup either in the draft or FA. He's not good enough to be our starter? Fine, either package him and move up in the draft or make him the backup. Then nab our starter in the draft or FA.

Same goes for every single position. There are no longer untouchables, imo. Every single player will have their value determined and a decision made as to whether they are a starter, backup, end of bench, trade bait, or let'm walk.

My bet is we see probably 3 starters on this team by year's end and the next top 3 players will either become 2nd string to new acquisitions or traded to move up or a different player/position.

This year isn't about winning or losing. It's about evaluating our players and taking a methodical approach at becoming a FAR better team the following year.
This year will be awesome because we know it is necessary in order to take full advantage of the draft, FA, and personnel that doesn't fit the future.

I think we'll lose a huge number of games.. at least 50. I will not be disappointed, though, if we win 50 games. I just DON'T care about W/L's this year, AT ALL. My only hope is that the FO does a STELLAR job of evaluating our personnel and makes prudent decisions as to the roster.. does a great job evaluating the draft and picking wisely .. and picks up the right players with the $31MM.....

My outlook for wins in the following year is sunny.

Only two things could **** this season up: Injuries and/or Corbin deciding that Richard Jefferson or Biedrins need to start.

Word.

Only thing I'll say is it will be painful if Burke completely flops. (dont think he will)

This post brought to you by UGLI baby

Only two things could **** this season up: Injuries and/or Corbin deciding that Richard Jefferson or Biedrins need to start.

Yes.. particularly the latter. An injury would be bad but starting either of those two is malpractice.

I want to put my thoughts of this year and next into one thread and ask which of you generally agree or disagree.

First, Trey Burke - Some are down on him and some are still up on him. I think most everyone agrees that on draft night it was a power move by the FO to make all the moves they did. They put a deal together and executed. And spent cash.

This next year will be exciting regardless of the outcome. I think too many are getting to wrapped up when whether Burke was the right choice almost as if it's a pride thing. Here's a little secret. It doesn't matter very much. The FO has put is in such a strong position with '14 draft picks (as well as the '17) and '14 cap space, that we have multiple options at every position. Burke turns out great? Awesome, we'll find a great backup either in the draft or FA. He's not good enough to be our starter? Fine, either package him and move up in the draft or make him the backup. Then nab our starter in the draft or FA.

Same goes for every single position. There are no longer untouchables, imo. Every single player will have their value determined and a decision made as to whether they are a starter, backup, end of bench, trade bait, or let'm walk.

My bet is we see probably 3 starters on this team by year's end and the next top 3 players will either become 2nd string to new acquisitions or traded to move up or a different player/position.

This year isn't about winning or losing. It's about evaluating our players and taking a methodical approach at becoming a FAR better team the following year.
This year will be awesome because we know it is necessary in order to take full advantage of the draft, FA, and personnel that doesn't fit the future.

I think we'll lose a huge number of games.. at least 50. I will not be disappointed, though, if we win 50 games. I just DON'T care about W/L's this year, AT ALL. My only hope is that the FO does a STELLAR job of evaluating our personnel and makes prudent decisions as to the roster.. does a great job evaluating the draft and picking wisely .. and picks up the right players with the $31MM.....

My outlook for wins in the following year is sunny.

PKM, Your post is spot on. I couldn't have said it better. I think all the young guys are eager to prove their worth. Not all are going to be starters but they can be contributors to the future. I don't think I have been this excited since 1998.

Highlight:
It doesn't matter very much. The FO has put is in such a strong position with '14 draft picks (as well as the '17) and '14 cap space, that we have multiple options at every position. Burke turns out great? Awesome, we'll find a great backup either in the draft or FA. He's not good enough to be our starter? Fine, either package him and move up in the draft or make him the backup. Then nab our starter in the draft or FA.

Translation:
We're getting the Harrison PG!

PKM, Your post is spot on. I couldn't have said it better. I think all the young guys are eager to prove their worth. Not all are going to be starters but they can be contributors to the future. I don't think I have been this excited since 1998.

thanks cowhide. UGLI, you see that................................... ??? ^^^

Good post and I agree re: Burke. If we did "miss" we'll still have a good backup and he can either be used as such or packaged in a deal. It's way too early to tell. But we also "hit" on our other picks. Gobert is better than we thought. I was one of the highest on him ( I think two of us picked Rudy in the "most likely to exceed draft expectations" thread). But even at that, I thought he was incredibly raw. He is, but I think we saw in SL that he can and will get a lot of mins. behind Kanter. Likely starters beyond next season: Hayward is a lock. And hopefully Kanter & Favors (both would be fantastic). Burke perhaps. Burks is going to come off the bench or will be traded. Next year's pick will likely displace Rush/Burks in the starting lineup. Or there's even a chance the Jazz go with Andrew Harrison to replace Burke if Trey doesn't show enough promise. All depends on draft position. Jazz will definitely be in position to just take BPA. Utah can use another big or wing to round out those rotations, or a PG to compete against Burke. I think it likely the Jazz lose 50-55 games. If for some reason they won 45 and made it into the playoffs, it would mean a couple of the youngs had rapidly developed into all-star caliber players. I'd be ok with that outcome, too.

whether or not trey burke fulfills the value we paid for him, is almost inconsequential when comparing options in the draft. but his arrival basically meant we werent going after big name PG's in free agency, which is where i was hoping wed go

and yes they spent money, but on andris beidrins and richard jefferson....

the jazz could have been contenders, this year, they have chosen to go with a well timed youth movement..

they didnt fix the deficiencies, they PR'ed it as the jazz problems were self inflicted, gave the fans the Point Guard of the Future they so desired, now the plan is to play mediocre ball

the jazz are aiming for mediocrity, could have loaded the warchest much better

take a backup pg (Schroder @14) Plumlee@21, paid up for Gobert@ 27, and then Neto

then spend the $$ in free agency, specifically on Jeff Teague and Tyreke Evans

i know we wouldent have Andris Beidrins and 2 warriors draft picks, but i think the jazz would be way better next season

a roster with that much young talent is sure to be able to package assets into a bigger star, plus the way i see it Teague@8/per year and tyreke@11/per are always tradeable, so idont see the salary cap conflicts

Teague/Schroder/Burks/Neto
Evans/Burks/Hayward
Hayward/Evans/Burks/J. Evans
Favors/Kanter/Plumlee/J.Evans
Kanter/Gobert/Favors

Good post and I agree re: Burke. If we did "miss" we'll still have a good backup and he can either be used as such or packaged in a deal. It's way too early to tell. But we also "hit" on our other picks. Gobert is better than we thought. I was one of the highest on him ( I think two of us picked Rudy in the "most likely to exceed draft expectations" thread). But even at that, I thought he was incredibly raw. He is, but I think we saw in SL that he can and will get a lot of mins. behind Kanter. Likely starters beyond next season: Hayward is a lock. And hopefully Kanter & Favors (both would be fantastic). Burke perhaps. Burks is going to come off the bench or will be traded. Next year's pick will likely displace Rush/Burks in the starting lineup. Or there's even a chance the Jazz go with Andrew Harrison to replace Burke if Trey doesn't show enough promise. All depends on draft position. Jazz will definitely be in position to just take BPA. Utah can use another big or wing to round out those rotations, or a PG to compete against Burke. I think it likely the Jazz lose 50-55 games. If for some reason they won 45 and made it into the playoffs, it would mean a couple of the youngs had rapidly developed into all-star caliber players. I'd be ok with that outcome, too.

Purrrrcisely. Good post.

whether or not trey burke fulfills the value we paid for him, is almost inconsequential when comparing options in the draft. but his arrival basically meant we werent going after big name PG's in free agency, which is where i was hoping wed go

the jazz could have been contenders, this year, they have chosen to go with a well timed youth movement..

they didnt fix the deficiencies, they PR'ed it as the jazz problems were self inflicted, gave the fans the Point Guard of the Future they so desired, now the plan is to play mediocre ball

take a backup pg (Schroder @14) Plumlee@21, paid up for Gobert@ 27, and then Neto

i know we wouldent have Andris Beidrins and 2 warriors draft picks, but i think the jazz would be way better next season

a roster with that much young talent is sure to be able to package assets into a bigger star, plus the way i see it jennings and tyreke are always tradeable, so idont see the salary cap conflicts

Evans/Burks/Hayward
Kanter/Gobert/Favors

When I said they spent money I meant on getting back to the #27 pick and getting Gobert.. not the fluff they got when picking up GSW's '14 pick.
There is a strong possibility they simply didn't like Schroeder enough or any of the other guys you named.

What it seems like, to me, is this..

Dennis Lindsey comes in and asks a ton of questions of members of the front office and Corbin. He leaves those discussions completely underwhelmed by how little any of them had a plan or understood their roster.. he made the decision to take no one's word for it and to just take a year to personally evaluate every single facet that is Jazz basketball. Start over, if you will. I don't feel Lindsey felt comfortable enough to just add a couple pieces and move into next season as a winning team. I think Lindsey is swooping in and saving the day and is the Chuck Norris of NBA GM's.

a roster with that much young talent is sure to be able to package assets into a bigger star, plus the way i see it Teague@8/per year and tyreke@11/per are always tradeable, so idont see the salary cap conflicts

Evans/Burks/Hayward
Kanter/Gobert/Favors

Why are we drafting 4 rookies this year in your sense? That makes no sense.
It seems like you just want to draft Schroder and Plumlee.
But since you like the Jazz picks Neto and Gobert, you would draft them too and you don't want to draft Trey Burke because he hasn't panned out yet.

So in other words, aren't you using the future to complain about what we did in the past?