What's new

A Modern Defensive Scheme

So why the lack of effort you need to ask yourself? Did the entire team become a bunch of bums all of a sudden? I think not. I think it is likely all the turmoil and the loss of the one guy that could carry the team. That is very disheartening, along with an old and outdated defensive scheme that has been old and outdated for some time, yet the brandnew coach apparently likes old and outdated. How motivating is all that?

When we get killed time and time again on Pick and Rolls, it's not because guys are being lazy. There is indecision about how much to show, when to switch, and the three guys not involved in the play clearly aren't sure what they should be doing. You see the same thing on double teams. Yet when you watch the Bulls, you see something else entirely. They're trained to execute one of two things: 1) a predetermined strategy to leave certain players unguarded based on weaknesses (ie. shooters who can't shoot); 2) They frequently rotate so precisely that the only unguarded man is on the other side of the floor--a very tricky skip pass for anyone to make.

We don't do this. The guys we have are thoroughly capable of it. Effort is important, too, but they need a system. There was a good quote, not sure who said it, but Thib's guys are all "lined up on a string." That's our compass.

When we get killed time and time again on Pick and Rolls, it's not because guys are being lazy. There is indecision about how much to show, when to switch, and the three guys not involved in the play clearly aren't sure what they should be doing. You see the same thing on double teams. Yet when you watch the Bulls, you see something else entirely. They're trained to execute one of two things: 1) a predetermined strategy to leave certain players unguarded based on weaknesses (ie. shooters who can't shoot); 2) They frequently rotate so precisely that the only unguarded man is on the other side of the floor--a very tricky skip pass for anyone to make.

We don't do this. The guys we have are thoroughly capable of it. Effort is important, too, but they need a system. There was a good quote, not sure who said it, but Thib's guys are all "lined up on a string." That's our compass.

Billy has been owning the discussion on defense for a while now. But, have you said anything with respect to the 'force middle' vs. 'force baseline' discussion? just curious.

To force or not force baseline is simplistic. It's beaten into guys heads never to get beat baseline and you certainly don't want ballhandlers getting underneath the hoop while trying to use the baseline as a 'defender.' I generally agree with that because once a guy is all the way inside easy buckets and fouls follow. I'm also not sure you have to have a hard rule about this. Like, I wouldn't force a guy baseline if he's going with his strong hand. I'd always want to force a guy to his weak hand and let him make a play he doesn't want to make.

The first help defender only needs to be quick in his rotation. The guy who got beat either doubles or slides. It's the other 3 guys who need to complete the D. In this exact scenario, the Bulls are great. The wing penetrating quickly finds himself covered by a big, his outlet passes inside are covered, and he's got to find somebody on the perimeter. When we do it it's a horror show of guys lost in space. So I don't really get the whole, "just force guys baseline" argument.

To force or not force baseline is simplistic. It's beaten into guys heads never to get beat baseline and you certainly don't want ballhandlers getting underneath the hoop while trying to use the baseline as a 'defender.' I generally agree with that because once a guy is all the way inside easy buckets and fouls follow. I'm also not sure you have to have a hard rule about this. Like, I wouldn't force a guy baseline if he's going with his strong hand. I'd always want to force a guy to his weak hand and let him make a play he doesn't want to make.

The first help defender only needs to be quick in his rotation. The guy who got beat either doubles or slides. It's the other 3 guys who need to complete the D. In this exact scenario, the Bulls are great. The wing penetrating quickly finds himself covered by a big, his outlet passes inside are covered, and he's got to find somebody on the perimeter. When we do it it's a horror show of guys lost in space. So I don't really get the whole, "just force guys baseline" argument.

alas, I am all out of rep for you.