What's new

Aaron Gordon to Utah Jazz - Chad Ford

Not sure why it's a "hmmm." For weeks, it's been a top-3 of Wiggins, Parker and Embiid. Exum had been a bit of an unknown, so based on measurements and his post-combine workout, Vonleh was getting mentioned as a possible top-4 pick. If the foot injury to Embiid drops him out of the top-4, then it's natural to assume Wiggins and Parker are the top 2 and Exum and Vonleh may be the next two. But some teams MIGHT prefer Smart or Gordon. And a lot of it is "gamesmanship." Orlando hears we tried to sneak Gordon in for a 2nd workout, so now they say they want him at #4, hoping the Jazz will panic and trade up a spot.

Pretty sure they know, that we know, that they know, that we only brought Gordon in because we knew we'd have no chance at Exum/Vonleh after the Embiid injury.

Bro.. you don't own the team.. if Greg doesn't like the risk then he won't pull the trigger. Nothing you can say or do matters.

Guys, I found out why TTTttttktKTKTKKTKKkkkk is such a turd: he's actually Greg Miller.

Keep on rocking that goatee.

What, because the Jazz need another guy for us to say "If ____ would just _____ then he'd be just so dreamy!"?

Maybe I'm just being impatient, but a team of a bunch of nice role players and some pieces that don't quite fit doesn't excite me. Crack that ****ing bat.

If Embiid would just get healthy then he'd be just so dreamy.

that works, too.

Still, I don't think we'd pick Gordon over Embiid, Vonleh, or Exum. And, if I were running things, we wouldn't pick him over Smart, either. But every single guy I just listed has almost as many questions as Gordon. Gordon has a few known qualities that I like a lot.... I'll say that without hesitation.

Pretty sure they know, that we know, that they know, that we only brought Gordon in because we knew we'd have no chance at Exum/Vonleh after the Embiid injury.
This. If teams are dropping Embiid due to the injury (which they should be doing) then the top 5 on many teams' boards should be some order of Wiggins, Parker, Exum, Vonleh and Gordon. I'm high on Gordon, but if he goes in the top 4 you take whichever top prospect still falls to you. If you're not sold on either of the two guys left you take a chance on Embiid getting healthy. I'm more interested in seeing where Embiid finally goes rather than drafting him at this point.

My first reaction was that he was just basing it on Gordon having a second workout with the Jazz, but it sounds like he actually has some inside knowledge ("team is convinced that he could have an Andrei Kirilenko-like effect on the team"). Either that or he made it up.

And that's why Gordon might be a better pick than Vonleh. I still maintain Vonleh is a better prospect. But he may need another player to fire him up (e.g. put him next to Joakim Noah). Gordon, on the other hand, might be able to unleash the inner beast in Favors. Trey also has that drive, if not the size and skills. Gordon also might be a little more versatile than Vonleh in that he can likely play SF and PF. I'm really o.k. with either Vonleh or Gordon - if it costs too much to get Wiggins from Cleveland.

One thing's for sure: the Embiid injury has sure made the week leading up to the draft a LOT more interesting.

And that's why Gordon might be a better pick than Vonleh. I still maintain Vonleh is a better prospect. But he may need another player to fire him up (e.g. put him next to Joakim Noah). Gordon, on the other hand, might be able to unleash the inner beast in Favors. Trey also has that drive, if not the size and skills. Gordon also might be a little more versatile than Vonleh in that he can likely play SF and PF. I'm really o.k. with either Vonleh or Gordon - if it costs to much to get Wiggins from Cleveland.

We do need more creative players on the Jazz. Gordon has that. I think he can develop a respectable set shot, and then just go Faried-style high-motor maniac everywhere else. It isn't a bad pick, IMO.

And that's why Gordon might be a better pick than Vonleh. I still maintain Vonleh is a better prospect. But he may need another player to fire him up (e.g. put him next to Joakim Noah). Gordon, on the other hand, might be able to unleash the inner beast in Favors. Trey also has that drive, if not the size and skills. Gordon also might be a little more versatile than Vonleh in that he can likely play SF and PF. I'm really o.k. with either Vonleh or Gordon - if it costs to much to get Wiggins from Cleveland.
I'm more sold on Gordon than Vonleh, but would be happy with either guy. I think that the Jazz have a tough choice on their hands, but they're in a decent spot all things considered. They're out of luck for the top tier of players (Wiggins/Parker) unless they pay the price to trade up. . . which they might. After that, it seems that the 2nd tier of players has narrowed down to Exum, Vonleh, Gordon and possibly Embiid. Two of those players will still be on the board when the Jazz pick. Depending on health and development, I think that it's very possible for all of those players to develop into All-Stars. However it shakes out, the Jazz should get a good player out of this draft. Only time will tell how good he is, but I just want the Jazz to scout their butts off and take the highest rated one. Let the coaches sort out positions and playing time. Figure the rest of it out once you put as many guys in the building to compete as you can.

This. If teams are dropping Embiid due to the injury (which they should be doing) then the top 5 on many teams' boards should be some order of Wiggins, Parker, Exum, Vonleh and Gordon. I'm high on Gordon, but if he goes in the top 4 you take whichever top prospect still falls to you. If you're not sold on either of the two guys left you take a chance on Embiid getting healthy. I'm more interested in seeing where Embiid finally goes rather than drafting him at this point.
Exactly. There is no need to panic or overpay to trade up to 3 or 4. If you can get into the #1 or #2 slot for a REASONABLE price, you do it!
If not, if Embiid is deemed too big a risk (which I think he will be by Lindsey), there are still five very good prospects in the draft and the Jazz have the #5 pick. I'd like to see Smart go to Orlando and Exum to Philly, just to see who is ultimately higher on the Jazz board: Gordon, Vonleh or an injured Embiid.

I was kind of like that a few years back. I wanted Fredette to be there at #12 just to see if the Jazz would take him.

Exactly. There is no need to panic or overpay to trade up to 3 or 4. If you can get into the #1 or #2 slot for a REASONABLE price, you do it!
If not, if Embiid is deemed too big a risk (which I think he will be by Lindsey), there are still five very good prospects in the draft and the Jazz have the #5 pick.
Great post. You do everything within reason to move up for Parker/Wiggins, but when it's all said and done you have to be ready to make the best pick you can at #5. I have a lot of faith in Dennis Lindsey and his staff. I think that they did well last year with what they ended up getting out of a crappy draft with crappy picks. They were aggressive and clearly went after the players they wanted. They were willing to pay a high price to acquire those players as well. I'm expecting to see much of the same this year.

What, because the Jazz need another guy for us to say "If ____ would just _____ then he'd be just so dreamy!"?

Maybe I'm just being impatient, but a team of a bunch of nice role players and some pieces that don't quite fit doesn't excite me. Crack that ****ing bat.

Every player in this draft has a flaw. Gordon seems to be a hard worker and has as much upside as anyone. If he is Kirilenko I actually think that is good. AK would have been great if he had the mindset of Gordon.

My first preference would be to move up because I'm not sure what the upside of the team is as currently constructed, but Gordon is a good plan B. Also, he'll be fun to watch.

I'm sure it's just the nature of this time of year and how potential draftees are picked apart by "experts", but I am finding myself a bit underwhelmed with the options at 5. It just seems like tanking this past season didn't really leave us with an option that will improve the team in a dramatic way. I really hope I'm wrong, but with the current team I don't see any potential stars and we need one if we're going to even start thinking about the playoffs.

I really hope the Jazz are able to trade up and get Wiggins or Parker, but I just don't see why either of the top two teams would make that trade given our assets.

Great post. You do everything within reason to move up for Parker/Wiggins, but when it's all said and done you have to be ready to make the best pick you can at #5. I have a lot of faith in Dennis Lindsey and his staff. I think that they did well last year with what they ended up getting out of a crappy draft with crappy picks. They were aggressive and clearly went after the players they wanted. They were willing to pay a high price to acquire those players as well. I'm expecting to see much of the same this year.

Agreed. No deals will happen until the Cavs know who is on the board at 5. If Embiid is there they will likely send the first pick to us for Favors and Embiid. I don't think anyone would have thought that we could move to no.9 last year, but Minny's guy was taken and the value of the pick changed.

Yep, a good draft last season by DL. The pickings were slim, but I'm pretty confident that all 3 players are at LEAST backup quality. You can argue for taking MCW or standing pat and taking Giannis. But DL went after the players he wanted and got decent quality.

This Cavs trade makes no sense to me...

Why would they want Favors and Embiid playing together? Favors is an atrocious defender on the perimeter - having him trying to guard stretch 4's would be a nightmare.

Why would they want Favors and Embiid playing together? Favors is an atrocious defender on the perimeter - having him trying to guard stretch 4's would be a nightmare.

I think the only rationale would be you'd have Favors as an insurance policy in the event that Embiid ends up not being able to play long term due to injuries. It seems like a stretch though.

So you want Embiid so we can say "If Embiid would just have healthy feet and a healthy back he would be so dreamy!"?

The trade for Favors makes sense: they're in win-now (and attract Lebron) mode and need a decent 5 to go with Irving and Lebron. If they make the trade, I don't think Embiid is necessarily the target at #5. They could very well want Vonleh to pair with Favors. I think Parker is a more likely pick. Even IF they were to acquire Lebron, Parker plays PF (an upgrade over Thompson). Or, they could very well keep Parker UNTIL they learn what Lebron wants to do. At that point, they could then offer Jabari and Varejao to Utah for Favors and whoever we pick at #5.

So you want Embiid so we can say "If Embiid would just have healthy feet and a healthy back he would be so dreamy!"?

I guess so.

The point is the Jazz have a bunch of good-ish young players and I don't see how going after Gordon - who himself is very far from a sure thing - significantly alters the Jazz's fate. If the Jazz draft Gordon, I hope I'm so ****ing wrong that I could puke with joy.

But haven't you heard? Favors 'thinks of himself as a PF'!